Wiki Posts
Search

TSA contradicts itself with liquid/gel policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2.3MM, MR Lifetime Titanium
TSA contradicts itself with liquid/gel policy

On Monday, I was able to take a 9 oz bottle of mouthwash through TSA that only had about a week's worth of product inside it (about 2 oz). I was told it was fine because it was obviously less than 3 oz.

On Thursday, I was not able to bring that bottle of mouthwash through TSA because they changed the rules, saying the entire container must be 3 oz or less because "terrists" could potentially take several 3 oz of liquid explosives and mix them into a 9 oz mouthwash bottle.

This is where the contradiction comes into play: People can purchase a 1.5L bottle of water or a 20 oz Coke inside the airport (after TSA) and bring it onto the plane. Why is my three-fourths-used bottle of mouthwash considered a viable container for explosives, but the 1.5L bottle of water is not? Doesn't TSA think of scenarios where a "terrist" might dump out the water (*gasp*) and replace it with his and ten of his friends' 3 oz of explosives?

The current situation with the liquid/gel issue is really in flux, and I wish the TSA could make policies that actually make sense. As it stands now, TSA looks completely confused as their policies do not make sense. Additionally, there is no consistency among airports, or even with the same airport week-to-week.

[Edit: changed subject]
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by ChazeFroy
This is where the contradiction comes into play: People can purchase a 1.5L bottle of water or a 20 oz Coke inside the airport (after TSA) and bring it onto the plane. Why is my three-fourths-used bottle of mouthwash considered a viable container for explosives, but the 1.5L bottle of water is not? Doesn't TSA think of scenarios where a "terrist" might dump out the water (*gasp*) and replace it with his and ten of his friends' 3 oz of explosives?

[Edit: changed subject]
Which begs the question, you are surprised, why?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
As it stands now, TSA looks completely confused as their policies do not make sense.[Edit: changed subject]

"Confused" isn't the term that springs to mind for me.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
You can also bring empty containers without any liquid (even before the Freedom Zips were introduced) and mix whateverthehell you want.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Any reports as to whether the YVR drinking fountains are back on now?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:45 am
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
As someone else pointed out. There is no ban to bringing empty containers of any size onboard the airplane. Their logic is flawed.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:06 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Was this the TSA itself (through e-mail, etc.) that told you the container could be "used to mix several 3oz substances," or the screener/supervisor? Though I do not put such idiocy past the gents and gals in their Crystal City HQ, I suspect it was more a case of a screener/supervisor trying to make up some twisted "logic" to justify their actions. That unfortunately happens all the time, and often clashes with the published rules on the TSA's website.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
I wonder what would happen if someone brought a rollaboard filled with empty Nalgene bottles of varying sizes?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heck, the TSA's own rules would give someone a decent sized container to mix something with onboard. Just pour the contents of your unmarked 3oz containers into the QUART SIZED ZIP TOP BAG that you are supposed to transport them in and shake well. No need for any other container.

If I can figure that out in the time it took me to read this thread, I'm sure someone who is intending to attempt to cause us harm could also figure it out. I'm not anti-security, but I am anti-idiotcy, and this entire liquid episode is idiotcy.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
Heck, the TSA's own rules would give someone a decent sized container to mix something with onboard. Just pour the contents of your unmarked 3oz containers into the QUART SIZED ZIP TOP BAG that you are supposed to transport them in and shake well. No need for any other container.

If I can figure that out in the time it took me to read this thread, I'm sure someone who is intending to attempt to cause us harm could also figure it out. I'm not anti-security, but I am anti-idiotcy, and this entire liquid episode is idiotcy.
Oh, great - now you've done it; from now on, the TSA will probably require that the bag be perforated with a certain number of certain sized holes. Too few and your stuff gets tossed in the trash. Too many, or the wrong size, and your stuff gets tossed in the trash.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jonesing
I wonder what would happen if someone brought a rollaboard filled with empty Nalgene bottles of varying sizes?
My, uh, somebody I know, recently (post-3 oz rule) traveled with a 16 oz nalgene bottled that was empty when they went through security without an issue.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Rotfl

As it stands now, TSA looks completely confused as their policies do not make sense.
And you really expect different from Kips Keystone Kops?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Premier
from now on, the TSA will probably require that the bag be perforated with a certain number of certain sized holes
Hush, don't give them any ideas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.