Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by 2smrt4u
Thanks for today's lesson... already got an A in that class though.
Yes, that's abundantly clear.

GG
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:49 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
Um... unless i'm missing something here, the OP WANTED a reaction. He got a reaction, even though it was more than he expected.
The OP, near as I can tell, wanted to see what would happen. I'm planning to do the same thing when I fly tomorrow, only my baggie will read, "this is stupid."

I don't want a reaction. I just want to be heard. There's a profound difference. I'm not very active in voicing myself politically but the TSA, more than any other government agency, is prodding me into speaking up. There's only so much I'll take in silence.

And yes, I've written my federal reps.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The difference between you and I is that I am not questioning your intelligence or education. What you're doing is ignoring the fact that I have an opinion by diverting attention to any perceived shortcoming you think I might have. Considering you know nothing about me or my education your statements are meritless. Hear say is not fact.
I am not really questioning your intelligence and education. I'm questioning the lack of critical thinking evident in some of the posts, and I'm questioning a lot of the faulty assumptions built into those very posts.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:55 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by hoyateach
I didn't think I'd find myself speaking up in 2smrt4u's defense, but that was just uncalled for.
You just exercised your right to free speech, as I did in my original post. Isn't this a great country!? ^
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
You just exercised your right to free speech, as I did in my original post. Isn't this a great country!? ^
LOL. Touche.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Did you cheat?

Just a tad out line line, eh??? You assume that I don't know the constitution because I have a different opinion about what took place here. It's only fair that I provide the "fact" that I did very well in that course, through hard work and understanding. To imply that I must have cheated is BS.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:57 am
Suspended

I didn't think I'd find myself speaking up in 2smrt4u's defense, but that was just uncalled for.
I would agree without hesitation, but when someone brings up their grades, "an appeal to authority" of sorts, questions do arise. In any event, this discussion of user names and classes and grades is a side-show, a distraction.

Back to constitutionally-protected words written on bags.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:58 am

The OP, near as I can tell, wanted to see what would happen. I'm planning to do the same thing when I fly tomorrow, only my baggie will read, "this is stupid."

I don't want a reaction. I just want to be heard. There's a profound difference. I'm not very active in voicing myself politically but the TSA, more than any other government agency, is prodding me into speaking up. There's only so much I'll take in silence.
I guess that I just cannot grasp why you would do something to make a statement and in the back of your mind not realize that something could come of it. In other words, when making a statement you need the confirmation that said statement is, in fact, heard by the parties to which it applies. The whole issue of making a statement and not expecting a reaction (even an over the top reaction) seems a bit absurd to me.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"MKEBound" went to the airport that day looking for a fight and to draw attention to himself. He got what he asked for.
MKEbound went to the airport intending to express his dissatisfaction with TSA's screening procedures in a completely legal way. His intent was to remain within the law, and not to provoke a response in the TSOs that was outside the law. And, in fact, his actions were within the law. The TSO's and STSO's were not.

This is not simply a case of the TSA violating his right to free speech.
It's not? How so? The whole point of the First Amendment is that it extends to unpopular speech -- that's its whole raison d'etre. Though within the ambit of the First Amendment, there is no need for constitutional protection for saying, "Hi, TSO. Good job! Thanks for keeping us safe!" On the other hand, saying, "Hey, TSO guy -- your job is pointless, we're not safe, and TSA exists solely to stage a dog-and-pony show for the ignorant masses," is provocative, unpopular (at least among TSOs) and will cause some kind of reaction. The First Amendment absolutely guarantees MKEbound's right to provoke that reaction, and ensures that reaction will be limited to the TSO thinking, "Hey, this guy's an a$$," and not exercising his limited power over MKEbound in retaliation.

The TSA manager had a decision to make. Was he a threat or a nuisance?
Presumably, the TSO should have sufficiently trained to recognize that "Kip Hawley is an idiot," is not a threat. However, yes, the supervisor of that TSO did have a decision to make. Unfortunately for MKEbound, the TSA and the country, he made the wrong one.

Either way it was their job to give him a second look and they did.
They did far more than give him a second look. And I'd agree that, if TSA was profiling, it would be appropriate to consider all aspects of behavior. However, MKEbound wasn't detained because of his profile, but solely because of what was written on the bag.

Did the manager make the statement that he was not allowed to exercise free speech "in here?" This is hear say for all of us here.
Actually, technically, it's not hearsay -- it's an admission by a party and therefore admissible in court. However, as I've said repeatedly, the only version of the story before us is the one provided by MKEbound. It is pointless to speculate as to whether his recital is accurate or not. If accurate, his rights were violated for engaging in lawful, privileged conduct.

We weren't there and cannot make an informed decision about what was really said. Doing so on the basis of only what MKEBound said happened would be irresponsible.
What is irresponsible is speculating on MKEbound's veracity. This isn't a court of a law. It's a discussion board about travel. What happened to MKEbound is about travel, and a perfectly valid topic for conversation here.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aircraft engineer
TSA won't remember him - the chance of having the same screeners is remote and I doubt that the same writing will be on the "baggie"

If I were OP, the only difference tomorrow would be to have 3 fair witnesses immediately behind me.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am not really questioning your intelligence and education. I'm questioning the lack of critical thinking evident in some of the posts, and I'm questioning a lot of the faulty assumptions built into those very posts.

So you'd not be offended if I told you that your faulty assumption that MKEBound's word is the absolute truth is showing your lack of critical thinking. I'm not here to insult anyone why must you all?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:02 am

I guess that I just cannot grasp why you would do something to make a statement and in the back of your mind not realize that something could come of it. In other words, when making a statement you need the confirmation that said statement is, in fact, heard by the parties to which it applies. The whole issue of making a statement and not expecting a reaction (even an over the top reaction) seems a bit absurd to me.
(Bolding mine.) I agree. Again, I don't want a reaction, per se, but to not expect one is just naive. I'm doing this not because I'm feeling an adolescent rebellion percolating in my head but because the alternative is to do nothing. And I am just about sick to death of doing nothing.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say to all of you in regards to flying.. If you don't like the rules then don't fly, drive to your destination.
And I'll say to you one more time: MKEbound did break any rule. However, your assertion that someone shouldn't fly if they object to TSA's dog-and-pony show is preposterous. Are you one of those "America -- love it or leave it" types? I don't engage in protests like MKEbound. I do, however, think the rules are stupid and will criticize them in my own way. I certainly will not refrain from flying.

Everytime one of you pulls these antics at security you are infringing upon me. The time spent dealing with you is more time I have to spend waiting in line. If you want to demonstrate against the rules do it in another place. Make some picket signs and stand outside, take out a newspaper add, circulate a petition, run for office, the options are unlimited. You are free to exercise your constitutional rights but not at my expense.
I actually agree with you when it comes to flyers who deliberately take banned items in their carryon, or engage in other disruptive conduct. MKEbound's protest, however, was not disruptive and, were TSA acting within the law, wouldn't have occassioned any delay whatsoever.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would agree without hesitation, but when someone brings up their grades, "an appeal to authority" of sorts, questions do arise. In any event, this discussion of user names and classes and grades is a side-show, a distraction.

Back to constitutionally-protected words written on bags.

Appeal to authority???? Please.

You all are the ones implying that you are smarter(thus have more authority to make any statement here) than I because you feel I don't understand the consitution. It's only fair for me to state that in fact I have just as much of an understanding of it as all of you. Hardly an appeal.

Last edited by 2smrt4u; Oct 2, 2006 at 10:09 am
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:09 am
Suspended

People mutter things under their breath rather often, and those mutterings have included making a statement and making it that way so as not to expect an over-the-top reaction. This may be absurd to you, but it's still protected speech under the Constitution; and the government should not be "rewarding" & "punishing" people at airports on the basis of which constitutionally-protected speech/writings they have made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.