Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
It is your assumption (you're not alone, apparently) that anyone writing on a baggie does not "just want to board ... without incident"; and in demonstrating that assumption you (and others) miss the whole point. Which is understandable due to having only recently appeared in this forum.

As suggested, there is a wealth of history, principles and experiences in dealing with the TSA in countless other threads as well as just this (narrow) one. All your objections(sic) have been discussed many times; I'm not about to do it again. Others may choose to.

There is absolutely not possible way you walk up to security armed with this and expect to board without incident. He wanted the attention and he got it.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by 2smrt4u
So you were there? How slow did the lines move because security was heightened? I can assure you that other screens did in fact have a more watchful eye after the incident.
So you were there ?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Arguing by analogy produces logically invalid conclusions. Isn't that still taught in critical thinking classes or is that "old school"?

So you are my professor now?
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

So you were there? How slow did the lines move because security was heightened? I can assure you that other screens did in fact have a more watchful eye after the incident.
So you were there? Is that how you can assure us that other screeners did in fact have a more watchful eye after the incident?

Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would say to all of you in regards to flying.. If you don't like the rules then don't fly, drive to your destination.
That's a suggestion I reject.

Everytime one of you pulls these antics at security you are infringing upon me.
Unless we are acting as an agent of the government, these so-called antics at security cannot and do not infringe upon your constitutional rights. To think otherwise betrays an impoverished understanding of the Constitution and of America.

The time spent dealing with you is more time I have to spend waiting in line.
Is that a complaint? Your choice.

If you want to demonstrate against the rules do it in another place. Make some picket signs and stand outside, take out a newspaper add, circulate a petition, run for office, the options are unlimited. You are free to exercise your constitutional rights but not at my expense.
You don't make the rules of how people may exercise their constitutional rights. Did you notice the failure to apply critical thinking in this post of your? If the options are unlimited, then the following words have little meaning: "you are free to exercise your constitutional rights but not at my expense". If someone's constitutional rights come at your expense does not equate with your constitutional rights being denied. Apply some more of that little critical thinking coursework and your post may have a bit more substance.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
So you were there ?

I didn't have to be, I've been through the lines after someone has pulled a stunt like this and I've seen first hand just how watchful they become. They have to.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:19 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

They have to.
Because...? Kip Hawley is an idiot...?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:20 am
Suspended

So you are my professor now?
No. And I don't need to be a professor to recognize the limitations in critical thinking exhibited in a post.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:20 am

That's a suggestion I reject.

Unless we are acting as an agent of the government, these so-called antics at security cannot and do not infringe upon your constitutional rights. To think otherwise betrays an impoverished understanding of the Constitution and of America.

Is that a complaint? Your choice.

You don't make the rules of how people may exercise their constitutional rights. Did you notice the failure to apply critical thinking in this post of your? If the options are unlimited, then the following words have little meaning: "you are free to exercise your constitutional rights but not at my expense". If someone's constitutional rights come at your expense does not equate with your constitutional rights being denied. Apply some more of that little critical thinking coursework and your post may have a bit more substance.
You are not free to step on people just to get where you want to go. You are free to go where you want to go, nothing more nothing less.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:21 am

No. And I don't need to be a professor to recognize the limitations in critical thinking exhibited in a post.

I suppose you think you are free from "limitations" in your own attempt to think critically?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Whenever anyone is "detained" by the TSA, especially if there's an LEO involved, that person is pulled off to one side to keep the lines moving. I've seen this happen several times over the past 5 years and at no time were the lines slowed down as a consequence.

As for your insistent "were you there?" questions, I could easily respond in kind. After all, how do you know that "other screens did in fact have a more watchful eye after the incident"? Were you there?

Either way, I'm done responding to your uber-left-wing, "obey the government because it knows best" posts. Have a nice day.
Suspended

I didn't have to be, I've been through the lines after someone has pulled a stunt like this and I've seen first hand just how watchful they become. They have to.
You've seen a "Kip Hawley is an idiot" bag? A plastic bag with some constitutionally-protected words as benign as "Kip Hawley is an idiot" require the government to be watchful? If so, the government's priorities are misdirected, misplaced, and wasting resources far more than "a stunt like this".

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Why should I stay off the plane? I'm not the one with questionable motives. You see, the screener must try to figure out if the motive is legitimate or whether or not it's just someone spewing. I'd rather they not ignore, but I will say that is is socially irresponsible for you to waste their time and ours when your intent is just to spew. Like I said before, there are places and forums where you are free to exercise free speech, holding up the security line at the airport is hardly the appropriate forum public or not.
Free speech isn't limited to appropriate forums.

Your use of "socially irresponsible" seems to mean "poor social etiquette." Maybe protesting is impolite, but it's very, very socially responsible.

GG
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:25 am

[QUOTE=GeoGirl]Free speech isn't limited to appropriate forums.

Quite contrary.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:26 am
Suspended

I suppose you think you are free from "limitations" in your own attempt to think critically?
In the above, you suppose things that are not facts. You seem to be doing the same thing (i.e., supposing things that are not facts) in relation to the OP too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.