Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
What you say is largely true. It would indeed be "cheaper" to knuckle under, tell the TSA screener, "Sorry, I didn't realize that was prohibited," and let them confiscate the bag to be on one's way.

However, it would be wrong to do so on several levels. Yeah, it would have saved the OP 25 minutes of his life. That is all it would have done, from a positive standpoint.
Well said! And, the fact that the incident is now receiving national media attention confirms that a relatively small, individual act such as this can really make a significant contribution to the national debate.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by pdhenry
I'm jumping ahed a bit (haven't read all the pages yet) but someone did this last night already:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customiz...umber=78034330

It was me. :-) Post your slogan requests and I'll put together the images for you.

peace,
~Ben~

Kip Hawley is an idiotic twat.

PS> I'm not offering this for sale. The link purposefully goes not to someone's online store, but the item in editable and individually purchaseable mode. If you want this or any other Kip Hawley is an idiot graphics by email, just PM me and I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Last edited by seoulmanjr; Sep 29, 2006 at 3:34 pm
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:16 pm

All I can say is for who's benefit did you write on the bag? Yours or the TSA agent? You're the only ones who will see that. It seems to me you wanted a reaction and you got one. What did you think that message would do? Was it so some working class TSA agent would open your bag and see the message and feel bad, angry... or even agree with you? And in either case what did you expect would happen? You got what you wanted I think, media attention at minimal expense to your time, so don't complain and act as if your rights were trampeled on.

Last edited by sublimesting; Sep 29, 2006 at 2:34 pm
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sublimesting
All I can say is for who's benefit did you write on the bag for? Yours or the TSA agent? You're the only ones who will see that. It seems to me you wanted a reaction and you got one. What did you think that message would do? Was it so some working class TSA agent would open your bag and see the message and feel bad, angry... or even agree with you? And in either case what did you expect would happen? You got what you wanted I think, media attention at minimal expense to your time, so don't complain and act as if your rights were trampeled on.
The MKE passenger's motivations are not the core of the issue since the OP cannot trample on his own First Amendment rights; but the government certainly can, even as it breaks the law.

If you think the MKE passenger did this desperately wanting media attention at minimal expense, there's one little fact that gets in the way of your assertion: he only dealt with the media after several other people on this website urged him to deal with the media as soon as possible to maximize media attention.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
At some point, a line in the sand must be drawn.
At the risk of being glib, as my Contracts professor often quips, "A line in the sand is easily shifted."

Pithy fortune-cookie ruminations aside, the Constitution itself has already drawn that line. In this instance, the line was crossed. Executive agencies may not select at their pleasure which portions of the rules they wish to follow. To all those who wish to hold MKE accountable for breaking a rule, please name any legal rule he has broken. The TSA flagrantly violated MKE's fundamental Constitutional right to protected speech by detaining him for the commission of his lawful act (an act of political speech held almost sacrosanct by courts in this country). If anyone should be held accountable for this incident, it is the TSA.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA, HHonors Gold
All I can say is for who's benefit did you write on the bag for? Yours or the TSA agent? You're the only ones who will see that. It seems to me you wanted a reaction and you got one. What did you think that message would do? Was it so some working class TSA agent would open your bag and see the message and feel bad, angry... or even agree with you? And in either case what did you expect would happen? You got what you wanted I think, media attention at minimal expense to your time, so don't complain and act as if your rights were trampeled on.
Here is another first time poster not seeing the big picture on this matter. They AND you can not treat us this way and THANK YOU MKE FOR STANDING UP and hopefully others will follow suit and fight back legally.

MKE for President!!!!!

Last edited by Cholula; Sep 29, 2006 at 2:34 pm Reason: Removed personal comments.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bsteinhardt
I read a copy of your posting on the IP listserve.

This is classic TSA silliness. Your First Amendment rights were indeed violated. You cannot be detained or subjected to an additional search based on an expression of your point of view.

It is sad and dispiriting that security professionas cannot the tell the difference between a true threat to the public and an act of free expression -- and not to see every expression of dissent as a personal challenge to their authority. Screeners are not first grade teachers. I don't feel safer knowing our airline screeners are so easily distracted from their real jobs.

If you are interested in following up on this. Please contact me at [email protected].

Barry Steinhardt
Director
Technology and Liberty Project
ACLU

Yeah and we also don't need to go suing everybody over everything either. Grow up both of you!!!! He was detained for 25 minutes, so what, it obviosuly didn't bother him cause he followed the agent to his desk to carry on the confrontation.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gmax58
The question is repeated - what rules did MKEBound break?
Yes, do tell...what rules were broken? I am anxiously awaiting an answer, because I don't want to find myself in Guantanamo when I roll my eyes at another act of screener foolishness yet again. Heavens! That posting critical of Alberto Gonzalez I made in Omni might get me arrested for sure

For those mostly-new posters whose modus seems to be 'what did you expect would happen', what possible logic supports that viewpoint? The OP was making a statement of protected free speech. What was suppose to happen was the screener either ignoring it or having a chuckle then ignoring it or getting hot under the collar and then ignorning it.

By your logic, Rosa Parks should have sat her butt down in the back of the bus and Thomas Jefferson should have been hanged by King George for writing the Declaration of Independence. Everyone should keep quiet and just comply.

Sheesh. Makes me wonder where everyone's cajones went. American is a free, open and democratic society, regardless of what the government and you chicken littles are trying to do to it. Love it or leave it. I heard Kim Jong Il is offering some nice incentives (including affordable housing ^ ) for those people who have no problem with pledging their allegiance to a leader and keeping the criticizing to themselves.

Also for the information of our newbies - the OP had no desire for media fame over this. He only contacted the media after many of us 'oldbies' here at the TS/S forum strongly requested he do so. Without our support and assistance in doing that, I doubt this event would have made it into the local 4H Club newsletter.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Yeah and we also don't need to go suing everybody over everything either. Grow up both of you!!!! He was detained for 25 minutes, so what, it obviosuly didn't bother him cause he followed the agent to his desk to carry on the confrontation.
So asking for an explanation as to why an unlawful detention occurred puts the unlawfully detained person at fault?!
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Good grief. Talk about missing the whole point of this entire exercise
Suspended

In the absence of legal recourse, what would you suggest? Do nothing?

In MKE he was detained for more than 24 minutes for expressing a constitutionally-protected opinion. If that's ok by you, are you also ok with detaining him for 24 hours on the same basis? If not, why not?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The MKE passenger's motivations are not the core of the issue since the OP cannot trample on his own First Amendment rights; but the government certainly can, even as it breaks the law.

If you think the MKE passenger did this desperately wanting media attention at minimal expense, there's one little fact that gets in the way of your assertion: he only dealt with the media after several other people on this website urged him to deal with the media as soon as possible to maximize media attention.

But he DID deal with the media. Thus he wanted media attention. Was this all for the benefit of himself and one baggage screener?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:38 pm
Suspended

But he DID deal with the media. Thus he wanted media attention. Was this all for the benefit of himself and one baggage screener?
Let's not skip over the fact that he was reluctant to deal with the media until others here urged him to deal with the media as soon as possible. The media interaction came AFTER he was urged BY OTHERS to deal with the media.

In any event, is going to the media a crime when some party does something questionable? If someone thinks so, they might as well support a Government Ministry of Information and its "truth"-telling machine.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
All I can say is for who's benefit did you write on the bag?
In retrospect, it was for the benefit of the Constitution, of all Americans, and for all citizens of this planet. One small step for mankind.

Try to open your eyes and your mind just a little bit.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To wade into the morass of hyperbole which has entered this thread (no worries, I have my boots on)...So, a parent who uses the media to plea for the return of a kidnapped child is then at fault for attempting to redress an injustice by resorting to publicity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.