Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Cholula
OK, here's the thread that just won't go away. It's been brought back to TS/S after requests from many new posters who could no longer follow it in OMNI.
We're going to follow the posts carefully here and we ask everybody to stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks.
Thanks.....

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
We'll have a lot more posters qualifying for OMNI soon, with all the inflated post counts resulting from this thread!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA, United, Hilton, Marriott, Budget, Shangri-la
Cuba conquers America?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thankfully America has not been conquered by Cuba.
It may be a matter of time only, if Senor Chavez has his way.......or if we keep going the way we are going.....
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Any person and/or institution is capable of violating another's constitutionally protected freedoms.
That is not true: Kim Jong-Il and Osama bin Laden cannot violate my constitutionally-protected freedoms memorialized in the First Amendment of the Constitution. DHS/TSA, however, is perfectly capable of tearing apart the First Amendment; it's just that they are not supposed to -- if they are law-abiding.

In this case the OP essentially invited an attempt to violate his constitutionally protected freedoms. The fact that the attempt was invited by no means justifies it; but it casts the OP in a role other than "innocent" bystander.
The OP's actions are not the problem; the problem is that DHS/TSA was out of control at MKE.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:08 pm

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame because that's what you were looking for.

Last edited by Cholula; Sep 29, 2006 at 4:07 pm Reason: Removed personal attack
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:11 pm

[QUOTE=doober]Welcome to FT, Wendy.

May I ask if you are the woman who was required to take her slacks off to prove to the TSA that she wore a prosthetic?

That would be me... the pants thing was at least as bad as the next time I flew out of that airport, where there were TSA hands in places of my body that would be illegal if it happened in a strip joint...
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TwinsDG
The bag should have said on the other side "And I'm an idiot too".

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame because that's what you were looking for.
The OP, however, did not do all that you mention above. If you wish to do that for the reasons named above, that's your right.

What's your opinion about the TSA's actions? Should DHS/TSA have a political litmus test, checking people for their constitutionally-protected political opinions, to determine who to hassle more?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Most of it. But it's a long freakin' thread! There are 5 new pages every time I come back. They'll be at least one new page before I even complete this post!
In the MyFlyerTalk options, you can change it to display 40 posts per page. Makes things a bit more manageable.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I'm too lazy to read back through all of this dreck..But

Now OP has 15 minutes of fame

If already posted above, oh well! (Is this really worth 800+ posts????)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=politics

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092801437.html

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Sep...curity,00.html
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:19 pm
Suspended

This is less about "15 minutes of fame" than it's about being hassled by government employees for expressing a constitutionally-protected political opinion.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:20 pm

OK, I admit it. I am a newbie. I only fly 30-35 weeks a year. Just found this website and I am favorably impressed. Spent a little time scrolling thru this set of posts. Thought I would toss in my two cents worth.

The Bill of Rights is the most important part of the US Constitution, in spite of the actions of the current and several past administrations and congresses.

Having installed security equipment in transportation settings, I can offer my professional opinion that the Department of Homeland Security and TSA are in fact large beauracracies that are designed to off the illusion of security while providing a plethora of good paying gov't jobs and depleting the coffers.

I would feel safer if the went back to allowing us to carry pocket knives and bottled water on board. I can assure you that if I see someone trying to light the latter, I will stop him with the former.

I prefer freedom to security. Life is short and fragile. I will take my chances on the odds, versus ceding my rights to the gov't.

I love my country, but don't trust my gov't. It isn't because I think they are evil or that there is a conspiracy, but because I think it is staffed largely with people who couldn't get a job at Walmart.

Anyone who thinks that there isn't a war going on, is not paying attention. There is a large and growing section of the Islamic faith, that is committed to a Caliphate. They will convert the world to Islam by whatever means necessary or die trying. We do not have that kind of commitment among most of our nonuniformed citizens. It has been growing for 20+ years, it is gaining momentum, 9/11 was just a milestone. It was not the start, it will not be the end.

Greg
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bloggerchick
You people are unbelievable.
At first, I thought this post was tongue-in-cheek. Evidently I was wrong.

You complain that the president didn't do enough to prevent the 9/11 attack. . .
Actually, he didn't do anything to prevent the 9/11 attack, but that's OT for this thread.

. . .and now you are complaining about airport security measures because they are inconvenient to you.
Nope, not even close. We're complaining about airport security measures because (1) they don't make us safer and, (2) they have resulted in numerous violations of Constitution rights.

The security measures are there for your own protection.
Yolanda? Is that you?

No, they are not there for our own protection. They are there to convince casual flyers who don't know any better that it is safe to fly, thereby helping out an airline industry with a history of mismanagement that needs every dollar it can grub to stay afloat.

If the security measures were there for our protection, then air cargo and U.S. mail, which is placed aboard virtually every commercial aircraft in the U.S., would be completely inspected. I'll bet you didn't know that it isn't. Do you feel protected now?

Honestly, it is getting to the point where some of you don't deserve any of your constitutionally protected rights because you are abusing them.
Time for remedial high school civics, I see.

The exercise of constitutionally protected rights can never be abused, except by a government that usurps power that it never had and acts in contravention to those rights. A right is not a privilege.

Yes, you have free speech but the officer was correct.
No, the officer was wrong, as you (you are Yolanda, right?) confirmed. No state actor has the ability to restrict core value, i.e. political, speech, except through content-neutral reasonable time place and manner restrictions that are the least restrictive means and support a compelling state interest. That, by the way, is the law in this country. Why do you advocate breaking the law?

At the airport, your individual rights don't mean anything;
Wow! No disrespect intended, but where did you go to school? What you've written is the most un-American thing I've ever seen on FlyerTalk.

unless of course, you think you are more important than every other person getting on that plane.
No. I think that the Constitutional restrictions on government that protect the inherent rights of the American people are far more important than the illusion of security that you seem to prefer.

That officer was doing his job.
No. The officer was not doing his job. He is an officer of the Executive Branch of our Constitutional democracy and, as such, has no more power than was ceded to the government at the time of formation and pursuant to any amendments to the Constitution. He has no power to detain anyone for engaging in pure political speech (which this was). As such, he was not doing his job.

He was just making sure that everything was safe.
No, he was not. Censuring someone for saying "Kip Hawley is an idiot" has nothing to do with safety.

You should know by now that anything that could be even close to threatening has to be investigated.
This wasn't anything that could remotely be construed as threatening.

Stop whining. Make yourself useful. If the security measures at airports are a problem for you then don't fly.
You really, really, really need to do some reading about the Constitution. You don't understand it, or America, at all.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:21 pm

I just would like to fly without attention-seekers trying to get their mug on CNN and doing stupid stuff like this bag thing with the potential to hold up the travels of everyone else following the rules.

I have the right to safe travels - I'm not quite sure about the rights of idiots and those intentionally breaking rules and testing those hired to do a job.

If you don't like the rules, don't fly.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Is there is a correlation between the following views:

A: downplaying/dismissing/making fun of this incident and developments that draw attention to this incident

and

B: finding comfort in the security (dog and pony) show or wanting additional security measures (even as that may mean being a surrender monkey when it comes to the most expansive view of constitutionally-protected freedoms and American values) ?

Seems so.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is less about "15 minutes of fame" than it's about being hassled by government employees for expressing a constitutionally-protected political opinion.
To me, it's about getting the word out to Ma and Pa Kettle about the asinine way airline "security" is executed.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:23 pm

15 minutes...are you kidding me?

Where have you been for the last six years?? This have ZERO to do with 15 minutes of fame. OP (MKE) had the guts to do something that he probably knew would bring him some guff, albeit probably not the drama he got, but he did it because he can! No one, not the TSA, NSA, CIA, FBI, DOD or any other "alphabet soup" can take that away. He did it for you and all the rest of you who just can't seem to grasp the concept of the bigger picture here.

So, one more time in case you haven't been paying attention:

YOUR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT (that's the one that guarantees free speech) CANNOT BE ABRIDGED BY ANYONE ON U.S. SOIL, that includes in airports. Get it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.