Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I recall a couple of years ago that a couple had put a similar written comment about the TSA in their checked luggage. An irate TSA agent doing baggage inspection took their note and "reprimanded" the travelers in writing on their nots and put it back in their luggage. The travelers sued or otherwise complained. (I think it did get to court somewhere.) They won a weak apology from the resident TSA spokeshole.

This doesn't even come close to the harassment the OP experienced. I really like the idea of someone going through the same checkpoint at about the same time with a sign that says "Hawley is a Genius" and see what happens. Someone with the guts who happens to be going through MKE tonight or tomorrow should contact the OP and go for it -- for the sake of the Constitution many men & women, including myself, put their necks on the line to protect.
Best to take eyewitnesses.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:45 pm
DebbieS

Saying "Kip Hawley is an Idiot" is an insult to idiots all over the world.

What if the OP wrote that in other languages? Would someone plpease provide the translation in French, Mexican, German, Japanese, Russian, Chinese, and Latin?

Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by DebbieS
Saying "Kip Hawley is an Idiot" is an insult to idiots all over the world.

What if the OP wrote that in other languages? Would someone plpease provide the translation in French, Mexican, German, Japanese, Russian, Chinese, and Latin?
Better yet, what if it had been written in Arabic? He'd probably be in jail right now.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:52 pm
DebbieS

Originally Posted by justageek
Better yet, what if it had been written in Arabic? He'd probably be in jail right now.
I thought anything written in Arabic would automatically land you in the TSA jail?

Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Um...not to be contrarian, but why the hell would you unnecessaily make a seen and thereby, even if incorrectly on their part, waste the time of TSA/Police Officers who could spend their time doing "better things." Yes, they are clueless as to your rights, but at the same time, yes, you are an ... for not making the process as simple as possible for everyone involved. No offense intended, just a statement of my humble opinion.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I'm sorry, I just don't understand the idea that playing with TSA is a sport. I'm all for protest where you think something unjust is happening, but it seems to me there should be a better way.

Originally Posted by redbeard911
FlyerTalk Hero of the Day. ^
Really?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:02 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is no laughing matter....this incident was a seditious violation of your Constitutional rights by the parties involved .
This might be a serious violation of his constitutional rights, but it's not a "seditious violation."
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:04 pm
DebbieS

Originally Posted by bitburgr
I'm sorry, I just don't understand the idea that playing with TSA is a sport. I'm all for protest where you think something unjust is happening, but it seems to me there should be a better way.
My thoughts exactly....

Would anybody drive around with a bumper sticker that says "___________(fill in name of local sheriff) is an idiot!" ???

Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by stevenshev
waste the time of TSA/Police Officers who could spend their time doing "better things."
What exactly are the "better things" the TSA could be doing? There is absolutely nothing they currently do at checkpoints which would have prevented 9/11. (this is besides the fact that an intelligent terrorist out to disrupt air travel would either ship the bomb in commercial air freight or blow up the queue at the WTMD)

All the time they spend x-raying shoes and baggies does nothing to protect us, since we all know the x-ray won't detect well designed explosives. That wastes their time, it certainly isn't an efficient use of their time or resources or our tax money.

So, how did the OP waste the time of people who are standing around wasting our time?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DebbieS
Would someone plpease provide the translation in...Mexican...
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:18 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Mexican is better for sarcasm than Spanish. Muis better!
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:33 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
IN AZ about the only time you are required to provide ID is when driving a vehicle.

Its a crime to fail to provide ID in that case.

Now if you are walking down the street and an officer demands ID, you can simply walk away.

If the officer is investigating a crime and you fit the description of the person he is looking for then you may be detained ...

Originally Posted by studentff
Huh? Produce an identification document? "Papers please?" Can you please cite examples (in the USA)?

I'm no lawyer, but I thought there was no requirement to produce ID at any time to engage in non-regulated/licensed activities (i.e., driving requires a license, so you have to show your DL to the cop). Walking down the street does not require a license. Nor does being a passenger in a car. Or standing in the airport.

I thought the Hiibel case established that the state (NV in that case) could require you to speak your name, but did not in any way say you had to show your papers to the cop.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Paging OP...I have journos that would like to chat with you
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaukau
You may not write derogatory statements about the IRS on your tax return check. It's a crime. Maybe the TSA got confused with the IRS.
Hunh? Got a cite for that?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
This thread is now on Fark:

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comm...IDLink=2314199

Which means it will also probably be discussed on a bunch of morning radio shows tomorrow.

Also, as far as showing ID, I thought you were only required to accurately state your name to a law enforcement officer. In other words, John Smith would be required to tell the officer that he was John Smith, but would not be required to provide a driver's license, passport, etc. AFAIK, there is no law that says you have to be carrying an ID, let alone show it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.