Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaukau
They tell you to show up early to allow time for increased security screening.
Do they tell you to show up early so your Constitutional rights may be ripped asunder?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:08 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by exerda
Do they tell you to show up early so your Constitutional rights may be ripped asunder?
Not any more!
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Worked fine for me... did you get the request to sign up for a free account page, perhaps?
No when I click on the FT link at the bottom of that article it says thread not found, contact the webmaster. Is that the link you are talking about?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I got the sarcasm, I just responded to it with a serious response. Perhaps that's a TSA-like overreaction.
Unfortunately the problem is that the TSA doesn't "get it."
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:16 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by Justme123456
P.S. I barely got any work done today. This thread was/is a lot more interesting and stimulating than anyting I had planned to "get done" today. ^
Spot on! ^
I've been in a black hole for 2 days so I spent most of today trying to catch up! 99,000 page views! Another 20+ thread pages! I sent my phone to voicemail and, uh, "forgot" to turn off the Out of Office notice and I managed to not giggle too much during a teleconference
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cme2c
Unfortunately the problem is that the TSA doesn't "get it."
Oh, no. They got something.

It might be like a drop of water on a slab of rock, but it adds up.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by tom911
Just picked up by the Washington Post, so expect page views here (currently over 97,000) to take a big jump.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092801437.html
It's important that this is getting coverage, but the article was somewhat wishy-washy. It glossed over the issue that resonated most with us, the assault on the OP's first ammendment rights by representatives of the federal government.

Why is this so important? Because, while historically nations can be destroyed by external forces, empires (and superpowers) crumble from within. These little chips knocked off the constitution become part of the death of 1,000 cuts.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by jonesing
Spot on! ^
I've been in a black hole for 2 days so I spent most of today trying to catch up! 99,000 page views! Another 20+ thread pages! I sent my phone to voicemail and, uh, "forgot" to turn off the Out of Office notice and I managed to not giggle too much during a teleconference
Okay GU, we have entertained over 90,000 people, I guess you could call that an accomplishment.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a hearty laugh out of the CYA response from Yolanda Clark, saying that the TSA never detained him. Riiiiiiiight.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
It's important that this is getting coverage, but the article was somewhat wishy-washy. It glossed over the issue that resonated most with us, the assault on the OP's first ammendment rights by representatives of the federal government.

Why is this so important? Because, while historically nations can be destroyed by external forces, empires (and superpowers) crumble from within. These little chips knocked off the constitution become part of the death of 1,000 cuts.
Journalists are going to have to pick up (and highlight) the chilling impact that such kind of government activitiy can have on the freedom of political expression over time.

I've been carrying around a book called "Identity and Violence". If I put that in the bin in clear sight, can I expect "special treatment"? I hope not.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Okay GU, we have entertained over 90,000 people, I guess you could call that an accomplishment.
That's team-work. Ironic, huh?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:28 pm

Journalists are going to have to pick up (and highlight) the chilling impact that such kind of government activitiy can have on the freedom of political expression over time.

I've been carrying around a book called "Identity and Violence". If I put that in the bin in clear sight, can I expect "special treatment"? I hope not.
Will it fit in the baggie?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:30 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your "argument" just like his complaint to the TSA conveniently leaves out the part where he quotes himself being evasive and saying that what he wrote "could mean a lot of things". I'm sorry the fact that he wrote that down in his OP, means to me that he intended to be evasive from the start. Can I prove that, no it's my opinion.

No way in heck are we forced to take the OP's version as fact just because the TSA doesn't respond here. We have an obligation to see it from the other person's point of view.
He followed that by "it happens to be an opinion of mine". That should have removed any ambiguity.

It isn't that the TSA hasn't responded here, it's that they haven't responded at all. I sincerely doubt they will until this is brought before them in the form of a legal complaint.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:33 pm

That's team-work. Ironic, huh?
"We haven't had any irony here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was tired of being stared at."
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
He followed that by "it happens to be an opinion of mine". That should have removed any ambiguity.

It isn't that the TSA hasn't responded here, it's that they haven't responded at all. I sincerely doubt they will until this is brought before them in the form of a legal complaint.
Again, we can quibble over the fine details of "his" account all we want. And a TSA spokesperson did "respond" in the article. I would guess that the OP will actually get a response from them shortly as well. If he doesn't they are even more stupid than I thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.