Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is no way running a box through a MRI or CT scan before being 'cleared to fly' is going to triple the cost of the goods inside, or even triple the cost of shipping. That is ludicrous.
Absolutely. Anyone who thinks it would be prohibitively expensive to screen passenger plane cargo just doesn't know what they're talking about. It already happens in the UK. Britain's exports haven't suffered at all since mandatory screening was introduced.

Ditto the screening of cargo containers arriving on ships: critics say it would be too expensive, yet some of the busiest shipping countries in the world like Hong Kong screen 100% of their containers. The problem in the US is that big low cost retailers like Walmart don't want to suffer a 24-hour delay on the import of $29 television sets from china, and their lobbyists are influential.

The reality is that, at some point, airborne cargo is gonna blow a bunch of passenger planes out of the sky or a nuke is going to vaporize a harbor city, and after that we'll implement the security standards which people now say we shouldn't bother with.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:28 pm

Yes they can require ID

If your state has a law (NV has such a law) and you are required by an officer to provide your name you must provide your name.:

By a vote of 5 to 4, the court ruled that Larry Dudley Hiibel's constitutional rights to be free of unreasonable arrest and to remain silent were not violated when Deputy Lee Dove arrested him for refusing to give his name after Dove stopped Hiibel and questioned him near Winnemucca, Nev., on May 21, 2000. Hiibel was convicted of violating Nevada's "stop and identify" law and fined $250
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by AK94ME
If your state has a law (NV has such a law) and you are required by an officer to provide your name you must provide your name.:

By a vote of 5 to 4, the court ruled that Larry Dudley Hiibel's constitutional rights to be free of unreasonable arrest and to remain silent were not violated when Deputy Lee Dove arrested him for refusing to give his name after Dove stopped Hiibel and questioned him near Winnemucca, Nev., on May 21, 2000. Hiibel was convicted of violating Nevada's "stop and identify" law and fined $250
Apples and oranges. That applies only to law enforcement asking for ID's. TSA is not law enforcement. Additionally, they have no criminal grounds for asking for ID to board a plane.

ID isn't required for travel ... you're just subjected to secondary haraSSSSment if you don't provide it.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:02 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Superguy
Apples and oranges. That applies only to law enforcement asking for ID's. TSA is not law enforcement. Additionally, they have no criminal grounds for asking for ID to board a plane.

ID isn't required for travel ... you're just subjected to secondary haraSSSSment if you don't provide it.
absolutely correct and until they change the law or make tsa employees leo's i'll keep, my apple and orange
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by AK94ME

Welcome aboard AK94ME.

The Nevada law requires to you to orally identify yourself to an LEO. There is no requirement to present ID. Otherwise it would, in essence, be against the law to walk out your front door without carrying ID.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Arrow The OP's 15-minutes of fame continues

The OP is mentioned in an opinion piece in today's Wilmington, Del., News Journal ...

Make sense of airport security

By HOWARD M. BERLIN
Posted Sunday, March 9, 2008

In September 2006, Ryan Bird was detained for 25 minutes by officers at Milwaukee's General Mitchell International Airport because had a note inside his clear bag containing carry-on liquids to be scanned. The note said, "Kip Hawley is an idiot." It was Bird's way of protesting TSA's unreasonable rules, while larger threats largely go ignored.

Transportation Security Administration Director Kip Hawley has the longest tenure of anyone in the Homeland Security arm of federal government. For as long as Hawley has been ensconced in his job, you've got to wonder if he ever looks at what the rest of the world does at airports.

For instance, if you've flown since 9/11, you know that when boarding a plane in the United States, any carry-on containers of liquids, gels, lotions or creams (with certain exceptions) cannot be larger than 3 ounces. But if you fly from Europe, you have a 100-milliliter limit, which is equivalent to about 3.4 ounces -- 13 percent more. A 3-ounce container is not a regular size in Europe or the rest of the world; 100 ml. is.

I have never actually seen a TSA screener closely exam or measure a container to see whether it was the 100 ml. or the 3-ounce size.

So why can't Hawley declare that everyone can have a 100-ml. limit per container for liquids? We can use our 3-ounce bottles and the rest of the world can use their 100-ml. bottles. If this is OK in Europe, why isn't it OK for Americans?

Talk about the Flyertalk Effect: 18 months hence and MKEbound's small gesture is hardly forgotten. ^
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:43 pm

Refusal to ID

To answer the questions at the end, you absolutely DO NOT have the right to refuse to identify yourself to any peace officer or us(TSA) while at the airport. While I am an avid human rights enthusiast, and support the right to free speech, this was a serious lapse of judgement on your part. Use some common sense. If you figured it would cause a problem before you did it, you shouldn't have been so shocked afterwards. Would you go into a police station and insult them? Obviously not right? That would be really stupid. If you have a problem with the TSA, resolve your issues the right way. Write someone who might care that has enough political weight to toss around to get a change started, or start an interest group. TSA employees and passengers take stuff way to personally sometimes, and it doesn't resolve anything. Instead, it just creates hostility, and makes thing worse for everyone. We have to hear you all ....., then we get mad, and take the defensive. The more defensive we get, the more we arouse anger from people. It's a serious catch-22 and can be easily avoided using some general common sense:
1) read signs and follow directions
2) lose the attitude (TSA and passengers)
3) Don't argue at the checkpoint (again, TSA and passengers) it doesn't solve anything, and only makes situations more tense.
4) don't try do bring stuff you know you probably shouldn't, then get mad at us when we tell you that you can't take it with you.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by el100783
To answer the questions at the end, you absolutely DO NOT have the right to refuse to identify yourself to any peace officer or us(TSA) while at the airport. While I am an avid human rights enthusiast, and support the right to free speech, this was a serious lapse of judgement on your part. Use some common sense. If you figured it would cause a problem before you did it, you shouldn't have been so shocked afterwards. Would you go into a police station and insult them? Obviously not right? That would be really stupid. If you have a problem with the TSA, resolve your issues the right way. Write someone who might care that has enough political weight to toss around to get a change started, or start an interest group. TSA employees and passengers take stuff way to personally sometimes, and it doesn't resolve anything. Instead, it just creates hostility, and makes thing worse for everyone. We have to hear you all ....., then we get mad, and take the defensive. The more defensive we get, the more we arouse anger from people. It's a serious catch-22 and can be easily avoided using some general common sense:
1) read signs and follow directions
2) lose the attitude (TSA and passengers)
3) Don't argue at the checkpoint (again, TSA and passengers) it doesn't solve anything, and only makes situations more tense.
4) don't try do bring stuff you know you probably shouldn't, then get mad at us when we tell you that you can't take it with you.
/sigh

This post is almost 2 years old.

This incident got national attention and TSA got a lot of heat for it.

The guy did a good thing.

If you as a TSO can't take the heat, feel free to get another job. We don't have to be submissive sheep to get thru a checkpoint. We still have dignity and respect, though TSA tries to take that away on a regular basis.

Welcome to FT.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5 Star Gold
Thumbs down

To answer the questions at the end, you absolutely DO NOT have the right to refuse to identify yourself to any peace officer or us(TSA) while at the airport.
Another attempt to lump yourselves in with actual LEOs. Another failed attempt. You are not law enforcement, you are not military, you are not customs, etc., etc.

You are simply an out of control agency who believes their own press clippings and further believes that they actually are stopping attacks and making us safer.

I'll have whatever you're smoking.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:01 pm

Do you not have basic english comprehension skills or what? Notice that there is an OR separating TSA from peace officers in section of my statement that you so kindly misinterpreted. The fact is simple. The general public doesn't hear about anything we do, besides the crap that makes the news. It is called "spinning," and, yes, you're nothing more than sheep if you succumb to that kind of propaganda. In fact, on the lane I was working on today, we found a loaded 9mm Glock, multiple knives, pepper spray and fake bombs that our testers were trying to sneak through. Bottom line is that we know what we are looking for, and, contrary to popular belief, most of us are actually quite good at finding it.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:06 pm

In fact, on the lane I was working on today, we found a loaded 9mm Glock, multiple knives, pepper spray and fake bombs that our testers were trying to sneak through.
Were all of these items brought by the "testers"?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Bottom line is that we know what we are looking for, and, contrary to popular belief, most of us are actually quite good at finding it.
And, on the other hand, some not quite so good. Remember this just 18 months ago in Newark? Are they doing any better now?

Undercover agents were able to smuggle prohibited items past screening checkpoints at Newark Liberty International Airport more than 90 percent of the time.

The tests were conducted Oct. 19 by Transportation Security Administration "Red Team" agents, who were able to smuggle through an array of fake bombs and guns in 20 of 22 tests at checkpoints through the hub's three terminals, federal security officials told The Star-Ledger newspaper.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10282006...ionalnews_.htm
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Were all of these items brought by the "testers"?
No they were not. Only the fake bombs. The 9mm was some guy who "forgot" it was there. The pepper spray was a women with a child who thought "there should be exceptions for her because she is a women," and like I said, numerous knives. We find tons of knives everyday.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:15 pm

No they were not. Only the fake bombs.
The use of the word "and" in your statement that I quoted suggests otherwise.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
And, on the other hand, some not quite so good. Remember this just 18 months ago in Newark? Are they doing any better now?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10282006...ionalnews_.htm
Like I said before, the media spins. You are unaware of all of the facts, sir. the tester are TSA reps, and know how to smuggle stuff through so that it will not be found. They don't do it to make us look bad, but rather to highlight some flaws in the policy, and get them changed. Those are the only statistics you are referring to, because we don't keep track of stuff we fail to find with the general public (if we don't find an item, we will never know, and, therefore have no way of keeping track). So seriously, know what you are talking about, and, god forbid, do some actual research (google doesn't count) before you decide to throw statistics into an arguement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.