Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by MKEbound
You asked, so I took the time to answer. <snipped a bunch of really good stuff for efficiency>
Well done, MKEbound. And well said.

GG
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Four or more years ago I saw a TV feature on bomb resistant air cargo containers, including demonstrations of the same potency bomb going off in one of those and in a standard container. Yes, they are expensive.... but if the TSA budget were cut $1.5 bn per year, and the money spent on those containers, we'd end up with magnitudes greater air safety for the same dollar amount.
I thought those were mandated for use years ago, prior to 09/11. They may not be the same ones, but I thought current cargo containers were somewhat blast resistant. Of course, some cargo is palletized and doesn't go in containers anyway.

BTW: This thread was 90 pages when I signed off last night. I flew ORD - BDL today and now look at it.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by fester
BTW: This thread was 90 pages when I signed off last night. I flew ORD - BDL today and now look at it.
But the important question is: What's written on your baggie?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL, NW, HH
Originally Posted by Pakse
I'm not flying without security.
Sadly, we fly without security every day. Until all cargo on passenger planes is screened and there is a reliable system to detect explosives on one's person as well as one's carry-ons, we are flying without security. There is no longer positive bag-matching (although with a suicide bomber it wouldn't matter).

A plot similar to the Lockerbie Pan-Am 103 bombing would be very simple to execute with the current "security" measures, especially if the explosive was placed in cargo and not in checked luggage or carried on.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by breny
Sadly, we fly without security every day. Until all cargo on passenger planes is screened and there is a reliable system to detect explosives on one's person as well as one's carry-ons, we are flying without security. There is no longer positive bag-matching (although with a suicide bomber it wouldn't matter).

A plot similar to the Lockerbie Pan-Am 103 bombing would be very simple to execute with the current "security" measures, especially if the explosive was placed in cargo and not in checked luggage or carried on.
That settles it for me.

I gonna win the Megamillions and immediately buy the fractional ownership of a Gulfstream V.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2smrt4u
I gave up reading after the first 3 pages of nonsense and have no intention of boring myself with the "oh you should contact the media and the ACLU and your rights were violated.... blah blah blah" You see I stumbled upon this page as I was reseaching Logical Fallacies for a graduate course. The application of critical thinking is clearly not at use by most on this board.
I suppose you haven't yet learned not to jump to conclusions before knowing all of the facts?

You've skimmed three pages out of a thread of over 100 pages, in a forum with over 93,000 posts. You've read a fraction of a fraction of what has been posted here, yet you feel that you're in a position to tell us what is and is not going on around here?

Here's a logical fallacy for you: just because you have not seen something does not mean that it doesn't exist.

There are thousands upon thousands of posts in this forum discussing risk management, specifically what TSA policies do and do not make sense, how the TSA could be improved, and so on. And yet you read a post or two, then feel confident to make claims about whether there's a worthwhile policy discussion taking place?

Your logical fallacy of "I didn't see it in a cursory glance, so it dosen't exist" will indeed make an excellent topic of discussion for your class tomorrow. Bonnes études ! ^
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by fester
I thought those were mandated for use years ago, prior to 09/11. They may not be the same ones, but I thought current cargo containers were somewhat blast resistant. Of course, some cargo is palletized and doesn't go in containers anyway.

You can tell the forum to display up to 40 posts per page. That brings it down to around 40 pages at my last count.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
How exactly was he penalized? He was hassled a bit but not anywhere near any seriousness.
Hassles are penalties.

Is being detained for 25 minutes every time you disagree with the government something you'd reasonably agree to? Speak out against the President and you're put in the penalty box for half an hour. Complain about IRS regulations and the same happens.

Great way to teach people to shut up and give in to totalitarianism, isn't it - hassle people so much whenever they have a policy disagreement with the government that they eventually learn to keep their mouths shut.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
A spokeswoman for the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office said the TSA did call the sheriff's office to report an upset customer at the checkpoint. A deputy went to the scene, interviewed all of the participants, ran a wanted check on the man, and referred it back to the TSA after determining no crime had been committed, Deputy Darice Landon said.
That quote is from the CNN article MKEbound links to in his updated first post. I don't have the time to read through all 100+ pages of this thread, so I'm not sure whether it's been discussed, but I find it shocking that the gall that TSA has the gall to refer to travelers as "customers".

In any case, once again I feel the world will be a better place when the phrase "unmitigatable residual risk" enters the vocabulary of the average American citizen, or better yet, the average American lawmaker.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:00 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Rhetorical hyperbole with rhetorical hyperbole.
Amen
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Doppy
Hassles are penalties.

Is being detained for 25 minutes every time you disagree with the government something you'd reasonably agree to? Speak out against the President and you're put in the penalty box for half an hour. Complain about IRS regulations and the same happens.

Great way to teach people to shut up and give in to totalitarianism, isn't it - hassle people so much whenever they have a policy disagreement with the government that they eventually learn to keep their mouths shut.
Well said.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Hassles are penalties.

Oh please don't give me the "I was questioned so i must have been penalized" argument. Pure example of the pussification of America. Hassles are not penalties no matter how you spin it.
I respect your opinion but carefull not to "chicken little" everything.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by MKEbound
You asked, so I took the time to answer. Please read with an open mind, but in the end if you disagree, that's okay. These are just my humble opinions.

In the end Kip Hawley might not be an Idiot, and it may have been in poor taste to call him a such. But I do think his policies are idiotic.

Thank you MKEbound..Those people here who don't care much for my opinions will likely view your response as "sticking it to me" but I view it much differently. I commented on how I felt that attacking the person was not they way to gain support or state your argument (this was explained in several posts where people had a lot of fun insulting me). By asking you the questions I did I was asking you to provide the basis for the level of frustration you have with Kip Hawley the individual. I'm not going to take any time to address the individual items because you did a fine job in building your argument. That is all I had wondered about when I started this. I don't agree or disagree with any individual item because I frankly haven't given them that much thought. My only concerns were that people were patting you on the back for personally attacking an individual. I was not present during your encounter and will not make any claim to know exactly what took place, I merely tried to see it from both sides. Your followers here did not like that I pointed out that attacking an individual gives your cause no merit. You gave yourself merit when you took the time to anwer my questions without insulting my opinions. Your arguments in relation to TSA rules in general do have merit. If your rights were in fact violated then the individuals who exercised such poor judgement (not the TSA or Hawley) would warrant further action. If we choose to exercise our rights in manners of poor taste, we should not be suprised by any reactions we do get, right, wrong, or indifferent. Again, thank you for your time.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
Oh please don't give me the "I was questioned so i must have been penalized" argument. Pure example of the pussification of America. Hassles are not penalties no matter how you spin it.
A flight delay is a hassle.

Being detained because of non-threatening words written on a plastic bag is Orwellian.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
A flight delay is a hassle.

Being detained because of non-threatening words written on a plastic bag is Orwellian.
No, it's not Orwellian. Do you even know what Orwellian pertains to? Or are you just using something you heard once.

Arguing with TSO's for 25 minutes is not Orwellien. Being arrested for that is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.