Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by kaukau
Did he just think he had the right, or did he in fact suppress any of your rights? Just asking.
He just thought, as I wasn't arrested and in the end none of my property was taken. However, I'm pretty sure he didn't call the LEOs over to discuss my recipe for beer pancakes and would have been pretty happy to see me arrested or at least a little intimidated.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Did he just think he had the right, or did he in fact suppress any of your rights? Just asking.
That question sounds a bit like a false choice. By measure of the actions noted by the OP, the involved government employees at MKE engaged in hostile discriminatory treatment toward a traveling citizen on the basis of the traveling citizen's making a constitutionally-protected form of political expression.

Facing government intimidation for engaging in constitutionally-protected political expression unpopular with government agents is a suppression of the rights of American citizens. Witting or unwitting behavior, there's no excuse for this kind of activity from federal government employees.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
We're starting to get more posters like this - the "do what you're told young man and don't ask any questions". Truly pathetic.
Citizen!! Are you questioning authority?!? That kind of attitude could get a comrade arrested, you know. Some would say that it should.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by tom911
So will you be trying this at additional airports to see what reaction you get?
I fly home on Friday, and it's the only quart baggie I've got!
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
So will you be trying this at additional airports to see what reaction you get?
I'm going to carry two bags and alternate in my use of them. One will read: "Kip Hawley is a genius." The other will read: "Kip Hawley is an idiot." I'm sure the Communist Chinese government employees won't hassle me for flying with such items. More free under Communists in this limited regard?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by MKEbound
I fly home on Friday, and it's the only quart baggie I've got!
MKEbound - You got a set of onions on you, kid. Mazeltov.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Bart
Same thing. You are trying to be clever, but the sequence of your proposed actions speak volumes: suspend, THEN investigate and then terminate. And I didn't propose just slapping him on the hands and saying bad boy. Seems to me that you're not interested in really resolving this matter at all.
On the contrary. How many times do you read in the news that someone was supsended (put on admin leave, blah blah) pending the outcome of an investigation? If it's serious enough (and I think this case is), then it's warranted.

I will agree with you that supervisors should give a better example, especially in situations such as these because this can certainly influence how TSOs will respond in the future. However, unlike you, I would look at the totality of the circumstances and the individual. If this was one of my superstars who acted uncharacteristically, then I'd chalk it off to a good person having a bad day. This may not happen in your world, but it certainly happens a lot in the real world. This could be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back by being another in a string of similar behavior. In this case, more serious action is needed and, depending on how well counsellings were documented, perhaps even result in termination.
Bart, you of all people should know that there are some things you can let slide if there is remorse and mitigating factors and there are some things that are fireable on the spot.

To me, the overreaction isn't the issue. It's the "Your constitutional rights don't exist at a checkpoint." THAT'S what I have a problem with. And when you have sworn federal employees that have taken an oath to defend that freedom with their lives, I find it very contemptible that someone would blatantly trample on the constitution in a power trip.

You may not agree with that, and that's fine. Maybe you're a bit more benevolent than me.

Thought I could expect better than that from you, but perhaps I can. I think you're just typing to please your audience by jumping on a bash-TSA bandwagon rather than explain how you would really handle such a situation. That's OK. It's typical of most posts in here.
Bart, I think you're letting your emotions force you into hyperbole. It's ok, pumpkin.

I'm no fan of TSA ... there's never been doubt about that. And you should know that after I worked for the government, I'm not a fan of bureacracy in any form. However, one thing that I hold very sacred is the constitution and the rights that it gives. And I'm not going to give a lot of leniency for a blatant violation of it by a federal employee such as this STSO. I've seen clearances revoked over a lot less, which in turn caused people to lose their jobs. My former employer always hammered the constitution into us and not to do anything to violate it. In fact, we couldn't even violate our own 4th amendment rights (bet you didn't know that it's possible ... it is). I'm disgusted that my former employer actively violated the rights of many American citizens while sitting there and preaching to me not to do it. Hypocrisy at its highest, and it doesn't sit well with me.

I hope you can understand that.

Super
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He just thought, as I wasn't arrested and in the end none of my property was taken. However, I'm pretty sure he didn't call the LEOs over to discuss my recipe for beer pancakes and would have been pretty happy to see me arrested or at least a little intimidated.
I want to be clear: your rights were repressed. When state action chills free speech the First Amendment is violated as a matter of law. It doesn't matter whether or not you were arrested, or whether or not your property was seized. You were intimidated in a heavy handed and clearly impermissible fashion.

And to Bart, there's no such thing as just a little tyranny. "I'm having a bad day" does not excuse violations of fundamental constitutional rights.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:25 pm

Clearly the TSA is way out of control, but my honest first impression of the comment " Hawley is an idiot" was that it could have several meanings. So first day of this new policy: Hawley is an idiot, now I can carry a bomb on board. Or Hawley is an idiot and these stupid rules aren't going to stop me from hijacking a plane. We know that is not what the OP intended, but I can see how it could be construed as a form of a "threat". Again, clearly they over-reacted with the 1st Amendment garbage. But if you look at it from their perspective, their job (at least by description, we all know it's not really happening) is to provide security. Therefore their state of mind is to treat everything/everyone in a suspicious manner.

Regarding the previous posts about wearing a swastika to a synagogue... I agree that this is similar, but from a common sense perspective, not a civil rights perspective. Sure you have the right, but it's just stupid if you ask me and you got what you deserved. You were picking a fight and now complain when you got it. Sorry no sympathy here.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:26 pm
Suspended

I'm not so sure you were going to be arrested. I think the LEO realized that he was on thin ice and just resorted to some degree of intimidation in what was otherwise a very weak case.

I think out of all the people involved, that LEO is probably the one who is kicking himself in the pants for allowing himself to get drawn into this. And I'm not certain the STSO even submitted an incident report, although it would be pretty dumb if he did. I mean, how is he going to explain his actions? He can't.
The LEO is most likely the government employee who can be more effectively and directly subjected to accountability by the citizenry. The TSA employees are generally far more insulated from individual review.

Also, the LEO could have pursued the disorderly conduct nonsense, not that it would sell well to public reviews.

If you've submitted a complaint, then good for you. That needed to be done. However, in your complaint, you're going to have to explain your actions as well in order for the supervisor's actions to be taken into context.
Constitutionally-protected forms of political expression don't need any explanation beyond the fact that it's expression protected under the First Amendment of the Constitution. Are you really denying that calling Kip Hawley an idiot is a constitutionally-protected form of political expression?

Either way, I think both of you lost and no one won. I'm not trying to be rude or mean; just sharing my opinion for what it's worth.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Anyone not willing to be a surrender monkey when it comes to their own constitutional rights is a winner in my book.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:27 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by Superguy
To me, the overreaction isn't the issue. It's the "Your constitutional rights don't exist at a checkpoint."
Wouldn't freedom of expression apply to the TSA agent as well? Afterall, he may have expressed it, but did he act on it? GUWonder?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:21 am
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:31 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
I was detained for about 25 minutes today after passing though the TSA checkpoint at MKE terminal E. ... Yesterday, while discussing the new rules a fellow Flyertalker suggested we write "Kip Hawley is an Idiot" on the outside of our clear plastic quart bags. So I did just that.
Well, maybe it should have been written in Latin, or at least Pig Latin!

Maybe it should have said "Pray (with me) for Kip Hawley". You can take that however you want. Hey, that is "for", not "against", right?

Or, you could try writing it in a language with a non-Roman alphabet (Greek, Hebrew, probably best not Arabic or Farsi script, but then there are also syllabic (Japanese hiragana) or whole word/ideographs (Chinese) writing forms.

Can you imagine writing a profound fundamentalist evangelical statement or declaration in one of the above (beyond "Bless Bush" or "W '04")? Then upon questioning, tell them what it says ("J.C. is my personal L&S, etc.") and that you wish to witness to them, and hand them that little paper booklet about hellfire with a prayer at the end? I wonder if you would have been there 25 seconds, much less 25 minutes!
(and no I'm no heathen, so don't flame me...)
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Wouldn't freedom of expression apply to the TSA agent as well? Afterall, he may have expressed it, but did he act on it? GUWonder?
I think there would be more accountability as the TSA agent was acting in his official duties as an agent of the government. If a pax had said that, sure, that'd be protected.

The government is made up of people and is not an unassailable machine.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:32 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by alliance
I think the worry is that the TSA might have names of people who have legally disagreed with TSA policies added to watch or no-fly lists.
Gee, I've posted remarks critical of TSA to this forum, and just by coincidence, I don't get to check in at kiosks anymore. I haven't tried wearing a "F*** the TSA" shirt, but there is case law on point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.