Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

A sure fire way to bring the security line to a crawl.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Today I had two early twenty-something females bring in Lotion. Of course agents tell them they can't them in and they go back to put it in their checked luggage. The ladies(and I use the term loosely) then proceed to try to sneak it into the checkpoint AGAIN. Excessive bag checks are hurting the system and in some instances bringing the whole system to a standstill for 5-10 minutes at a time because the bag checks are piling up.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Actually, I would deduce that excessive JERKS flying is bringing the system to a close.

Look, this stuff is as big a pain for me as anyone else, but the rules are pretty clear, and if I didn't want to follow them I would drive.

I was in line coming home from MIA last week and some guy tried to argue his shaving cream past security. Ok, you may not agree, but for gods sake, there are other people waiting behind you, Mr. Too Important For Rules.

Ok, I feel better now.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
Actually, I would deduce that excessive JERKS flying is bringing the system to a close.

Look, this stuff is as big a pain for me as anyone else, but the rules are pretty clear, and if I didn't want to follow them I would drive.

I was in line coming home from MIA last week and some guy tried to argue his shaving cream past security. Ok, you may not agree, but for gods sake, there are other people waiting behind you, Mr. Too Important For Rules.

Ok, I feel better now.
That's good. It's still DHS's fault, though.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:21 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Well... ... is their problem? Is it THAT hard to conceal the tube of lotion?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:29 am

No kidding. I have to have my Chap Stick with me. So far, I have "forgotten" to remove it from my pocket at 6 different airports over the last three weeks.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:31 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Palal

In all fairness, they probably had a large-ish bottle with them ... certainly more than they could conceal neatly in one's decolletage ...

But yeah! If you're hell-bent on smuggling some on board, ladies, use your head and stuff it down your bra!! What do you think they make underwires for ... ?

{Disclosure: I'm not male.}
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:56 am

Step aside

Have successfully traveled with toothpowder since the liquid/gel ban. After multiple secondaries with it, I have taken to removing it in a ziploc bag with my 5 other toiletry solids. Traveling through YYZ to US security, screener indicated that I could not bring the toothpowder bottle through.

Canada Screener: No bottles allowed.

#10: It is toothpowder.

Canada Screener: No bottles allowed.

#10: May I please see the rule in writing which prohibits bottles?

Canada Screener: I do not have that.

#10: May I please see your manager?

Canada Screener: [Exit stage left with disgust. #10 steps aside so as not to hold up fellow passengers.]

Canada Screener's Manager: I am sorry, but no bottles allowed. You might pour it out and fill it with something on the other side.

#10: But this is toothpowder, and there are plenty of bottles availabe just over there [#10 pointing with right hand past security to liquid sellers.].

Canada Screener's Manager: We received a new rule this morning that no bottles are allowed.

#10: Can you show me that in writing?

Canada Screener's Manager: No, it was given to us verablly this morning.

#10 (who clearly had some time before the connection as toothpowder tastes awful and would probably toss it if not for the principle): May I please see your manager?

Canada Screener's Manager: That may take some time.

#10: No problem. I would like to speak with your manager.

From this point, everyone on Team Canada seems to become involved in the question. As those who become involved are on the other side of the metal detector, I pass through to get closer to my luggage which has been sitting unattended for 4-5 minutes.

I never really spoke to a manager's manager after that. The gentleman running the xray after some discussions with other Team Canada member, suggested that I could proceed.

I should reiterate that my toothpowder is a last resort. If I can pick up some paste on the flight or the hotel I will use that before the powder. But given the time I had in YYZ, I was ready to fight for the right to continue to use a substandard product.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:28 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by #10
I never really spoke to a manager's manager after that. The gentleman running the xray after some discussions with other Team Canada member, suggested that I could proceed.

I should reiterate that my toothpowder is a last resort. If I can pick up some paste on the flight or the hotel I will use that before the powder. But given the time I had in YYZ, I was ready to fight for the right to continue to use a substandard product.
BRAVO!

Someone suggested in another thread just the other day that it's time for "action." I always wonder why they think posting such declarations -- without concrete examples of _what_ to do, is productive. Yours is one of those posts that illustrates the impact that just a single individual can have on a whole group of people. You managed to get the "authorities" in your immedate vicinity to stop and think for more than two seconds about the ramifications of their processess. Furthermore, you questioned the insanity and managed to stop it even if just for a little while.

Just think if more of us were willing to make just a little more effort (when time affords, of course).

The bottom line is: No one is coming [to save you]. You must stand up for yourself and speak up each and every time your conscience warrants, and do so in an calm, rational and assertive manner. It may be that you really are in a hurry and can't chance missing a flight. And so at the very least, say something about the procedures.

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 3, 2006 at 5:38 am
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:26 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I have some small bottles of lotion/shampoo that I'm probably not going to use. Better yet, I recycle #1 and #2 plastics. I could fill a bottle with goop...

If I have to travel while Comrades Chertoff and Hawley are still harassing passengers with this idiocy, I'll bring them along to hopefully bring about a bag check (with clean gloves, naturally).

We all need to engage in civil disobedience to let these two sorry little punks know where they can shove their liquids/gels ban. And I'll be happy to use my footwear to assist them in that endeavor.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by #10
Canada Screener's Manager: I am sorry, but no bottles allowed. You might pour it out and fill it with something on the other side.
From the handy nitroglycerin dispenser in the washroom, no doubt

Lunacy.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
I hope it never occurs to them that a shoe could hold liquids. Imagine all those bare stinky feet on an airplane.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I hope it never occurs to them that a shoe could hold liquids. Imagine all those bare stinky feet on an airplane.
Shoes indeed!!! Stinky bungholes could hold plenty of materials, whether liquid, gel, or otherwise, that could cause harm to an airplane. What is TSA/DHS prepared to do against this possibility?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
Shoes indeed!!! Stinky bungholes could hold plenty of materials, whether liquid, gel, or otherwise, that could cause harm to an airplane. What is TSA/DHS prepared to do against this possibility?
We're working on it, Citizen. Our Robotics Division is making excellent progress.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Palal
It maynot be hard to conceal, but you are creating a backlog if you try to conceal and are caught. If you are trying to bring the system to a hault to prove that teh rules are stupid, that's another matter.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:08 pm

[QUOTE=CLELOSER] ... they go back to put it in their checked luggage. /QUOTE]

Is already checked luggage accessible after check-in? To go back from security and add something? I thought it would be necessary to have another suitcase or duffel or whatever and if going back, check another piece containing items that might otherwise be confiscated?

Sylvia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.