Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty water bottle to be filled on plane???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO OP Serf
Empty water bottle to be filled on plane???

Hey-

Just wanted to see if any other FTers had tried to bring EMPTY water bottles through security (flying out of SEA) and what my chances of actually getting it through are. I'm flying F tomorrow, but I'd much rather just ask the FA once or twice to fill my bottle up than having to wait due to the FA's being involved with other pax and/or due to turbulence. The flight is a red-eye if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Reports here have indicated that this is allowed.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:31 am

I certainly would't have a problem with this and I don't see why any other FA's would (especially if it's a smaller bottle, 12-16 oz). I would actually encourage it if it helps ease the inconvenience of the bans and make PAX more comfortable. Just please try to keep it to the smaller size so that we don't deplete our supply filling a bunch of 1 liter bottles. Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: NW Gold, HHonors Diamond
Umm..... I certainly wouldn't want my water bottle filled on the plane. They won't be filling it with bottled water, that's for sure!
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by thenewflesh
Hey-

Just wanted to see if any other FTers had tried to bring EMPTY water bottles through security (flying out of SEA) and what my chances of actually getting it through are.
I brought one in at ORD and SJC earlier this week; ORD it was ignored, SJC the TSA guy opened my suitcase, lifted the bottle, said "oh, it's empty. fine." and put it back.

Since I was in F on DL, I didn't need it on board; they kept me stocked with dasani bottles. However, at each termination I filled it at the drinking fountain to have in the car while driving.

I'll bring one on AZ next week, since I'll be in Y and drinks are mostly self service. (they keep a cart in the galley, you go back and get your own).
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO OP Serf
Thanks to everyone for the fast reply. FT rocks!
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by carttart
Umm..... I certainly wouldn't want my water bottle filled on the plane. They won't be filling it with bottled water, that's for sure!
Ah geez...for the hundredth time, on CO we would never (99%) use tap water unless telling you (especially when you're standing right there).
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:34 pm

And for the hundreth time, NOBODY is fallling down, because of lack of water. It's there, settle down, it has always been there. So is your diet coke, sprite,and whatever else you normally drink.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:39 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by skylady
And for the hundreth time, NOBODY is fallling down, because of lack of water. It's there, settle down, it has always been there. So is your diet coke, sprite,and whatever else you normally drink.
but i want my poland spring
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
I see, so passenger comfort doesn't matter--they have to literally "fall down" before you'll care? Sheesh!

I used to bring 3 (sometimes more) 1.5L bottles of water on every flight. I haven't seen that amount of water made available to me post-8/10. So don't tell me "It's there." It's not. And there's no way I'm drinking that e.coli infested crap you pull out of the tank.

I'm sorry that the government has scared you so much that you think your customers' comfort is a threat to your safety. This brainwashing is not our fault. If possible, please try reading some articles on the scientific feasibility of the London plot before you continue with your "customer be damned" attitude.

BTW do you talk to your customers like children, too? ("Settle down"??)
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:44 pm
cpx

Originally Posted by justageek
I used to bring 3 (sometimes more) 1.5L bottles of water on every flight.
I used to do the same thing. And its madness not to be able to bring your
own water.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
NOBODY is fallling down, because of lack of water.
It may surprise some of the younger folks here to learn there was once a time when personal water bottles pretty much did not exist. There was no such thing as Aquafina or Dasani, Poland Spring only came in gallon jugs, and Evian was a sort of snob joke. Nobody thought of toting one-liter water bottles onto airplanes or anywhere else.

This ancient era was ended fifteen or twenty years ago by genius beverage marketers. Now we have a culture where everybody seems to believe debilitating dehydration is always seconds away and has to insure a constant personal supply of water. In the old days, believe it or not, we went around without water bottles in our grip, trusting that (a) there would be some where we were going if we wanted it and (b) we wouldn't dry up and die in the meantime.

If people from the 1980s, who somehow managed to survive air travel, were to hear today's travelers insist they absolutely must have one, or two, or four liters of personal water at their disposal at all times, they'd think them insane.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:12 am
cpx

Originally Posted by BearX220
If people from the 1980s, who somehow managed to survive air travel, were to hear today's travelers insist they absolutely must have one, or two, or four liters of personal water at their disposal at all times, they'd think them insane.
I'm sure there werent many people who did back to back international
trips as they do these days. and I'm sure they would think flying
over 70-80k miles per month as a paying passenger is insane too - in coach!
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
It may surprise some of the younger folks here to learn there was once a time when personal water bottles pretty much did not exist. There was no such thing as Aquafina or Dasani, Poland Spring only came in gallon jugs, and Evian was a sort of snob joke. Nobody thought of toting one-liter water bottles onto airplanes or anywhere else.

This ancient era was ended fifteen or twenty years ago by genius beverage marketers. Now we have a culture where everybody seems to believe debilitating dehydration is always seconds away and has to insure a constant personal supply of water. In the old days, believe it or not, we went around without water bottles in our grip, trusting that (a) there would be some where we were going if we wanted it and (b) we wouldn't dry up and die in the meantime.

Service was also much better even 15 years ago than it is now. You could actually count on the FA's to keep you comfortable and hydrated. With all the cutbacks and the airlines race to the bottom, we can't count on them.

You're right ... flyers from the 1980's would be shocked to find that once almost standard service for Y is barely available in F anymore.

Super
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:40 am

MCO-LAX on Song (Delta). TSA refused to let an empty bottle through due to causing fear on the plane. The reason given was that some passenger would freak out seeing a bottle filled with a liquid. I really want to be mad at the TSA for this but the reality is that some scared sheeple would probably freak out and try to make them turn the plane around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.