Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Maybe by US and UK?
Thanks,
Jon
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:18 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Not that it would be super-helpful given the consistent inconsistency of the TSA itself, unfortunately.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
www.tsa.gov Click on "What to know before you fly - prohibited items".
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Maybe by US and UK?
Thanks,
Jon
We can't tell you. That would be aiding and abetting terrorists.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
From the BAA website:
http://www.baa.co.uk/
Hand baggage restrictions
Passengers are now permitted to carry ONE item of hand baggage through the airport security search point. The cabin bag should be no bigger than 45cm wide x 35cm long x 16cm deep/high (17.7" wide 13.7" long 6.2" deep/high), including wheels, handles, side pockets - equivalent to a small laptop bag or rucksack.

The following items are prohibited from hand (cabin) baggage: Any cosmetics, any toiletries, including toothpaste, hair gel, lotions, perfume, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc, any liquids, any drinks and any sharp objects.

Further passenger information
Before security: all shops and catering outlets are open to all passengers. Hand baggage is now allowed BUT any liquids and gels must be packed into your hold luggage for check-in. Any other purchases must fit into your hand baggage.

Once through security: all shops and catering outlets are open to all passengers. Passengers can take all items purchased in the departures lounge into the aircraft cabin, unless you are travelling to the USA. All passengers boarding flights to the USA are not permitted to take any liquid or gel items into the aircraft cabin. For further details on the new cabin bag requirements, additional restrictions for passengers travelling to the USA and the latest status of each airport, please select the relevant airport below, where more detailed information will be posted throughout the day:

From the TSA website:
Link here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#1
The 1st yes or no is for carry on, the 2nd yes or no is for checked

Makeup & Personal Items

Carry-on
Checked

Aerosol spray bottles and cans No Yes
All creams and lotions including Neosporin or first-aid creams and ointments, topical or rash creams and ointments, suntan lotions, moisturizers, etc. No Yes
Bubble bath balls, bath oils or moisturizers No Yes
Bug and mosquito sprays and repellents No Yes
Cigar Cutters
Yes
Yes

Corkscrews
Yes
Yes

Cuticle Cutters
Yes
Yes

Deodorants made of gel or aerosol No Yes
Eye drops - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you. Volumes greater than 4 oz., are only permitted in your checked baggage. No Yes
Eyeglass Repair Tools - including screwdrivers.
Yes
Yes

Eyelash Curlers
Yes
Yes

Gel-filled bras and similar prosthetics - Gel-filled bras may be worn through security screening and aboard aircraft.
Yes
Yes

Hair styling gels and spray of all kinds including aerosol No Yes
Hair straightener or detangler No Yes
Knitting and Crochet Needles
Yes
Yes

Knives - except for plastic or round bladed butter knives.
No
Yes

Lip gels such as Carmex or Blistex No Yes
Liquid lip glosses or other liquids for lips
No
Yes

Liquid bubble bath including gel or liquid filled
No
Yes

Liquid foundations
No
Yes

Liquid, gel or spray perfumes and colognes
No
Yes

Liquid sanitizers
No
Yes

Liquid soaps
No
Yes

Liquid mascara
No
Yes

Make up removers or facial cleansers
No
Yes

Mouthwash
No
Yes

Nail Clippers
Yes
Yes

Nail Files
Yes
Yes

Nail polish and removers
No
Yes

Non-prescription liquid or gel medicines like cough syrup and gel cap type pills - Up to 4 oz. of essential non-prescription liquid medications
Yes
Yes

Personal lubricants - Up to 4 oz. Yes Yes
Safety Razors - including disposable razors.
Yes
Yes

Saline solution - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you. Volumes greater than 4 oz., are only permitted in your checked baggage.
No
Yes

Scissors - plastic or metal with blunt tips.
Yes
Yes

Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches in length.
Yes
Yes

Shampoos and conditioners
No
Yes

Toothpaste
No
Yes

Toy Transformer Robots
Yes
Yes

Toy Weapons - if not realistic replicas.
Yes
Yes

Tweezers
Yes
Yes

Umbrellas- allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed.
Yes
Yes

Walking Canes - allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed.
Yes
Yes

NOTE: Some personal care items containing aerosol are regulated as hazardous materials. The FAA regulates hazardous materials. This information is summarized at www.faa.gov.

Last edited by BDLORD; Aug 19, 2006 at 10:20 pm Reason: BAA Info
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
We'll set this up as a temporary sticky thread since it seems to be the topic where this is most interest.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Deoderants

Gel or aerosol deoderants are not permitted in carry-on. So does that mean that solids that are not gel (usually white in color) are OK? Roll-on deoderants have liquid inside so are they banned as a liquid or permitted as a deoderant that is not gel or aerosol?

I can't believe I have to ask such questions.

Last edited by Richard1148; Aug 18, 2006 at 1:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

I flew yesterday with carry on luggage. The TSA person uncapped my deoderant to check that it was solid. When she saw that it was, she recapped it and returned it to my toiletry kit.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:20 pm
Pam

I saw a reference to no ink pens, in a thread somewhere. Are they really confiscating those? I probably have two or three somewhere in the cavernous "dark hole" that's my purse.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by Pam
I saw a reference to no ink pens, in a thread somewhere. Are they really confiscating those? I probably have two or three somewhere in the cavernous "dark hole" that's my purse.
Fountain pens, Pam, NOT ballpoints, thankfully. You know, those old fashioned nib pens with those replaceable ink cartridges that have been found to be mightier than the sword, which of course has been banned from carry-on luggage for years. So you can easily see the logic.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:27 pm

Beware of your highlighters!! The morons at COS prohibited my daughters majic markers on Tuesday!

At least we can bring saline solution!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I flew yesterday with carry on luggage. The TSA person uncapped my deoderant to check that it was solid. When she saw that it was, she recapped it and returned it to my toiletry kit.
What exactly is "solid" deoderant? I have everything down to carry-on-able, except deoderant. What I use is like a 2" wide chapstick....it looks solid to me, but TSA may think differently.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:07 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's a white roll up stick. If it were gel, it would have holes thru which gel would be dispensed.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
1. Does shaving cream in a can count as an aerosol? There are both regular and gel shaving creams in a can. I assume that the gel shaving cream, even in the can, cannot be taken on board. But can the foamy type of shaving cream?

2. I have the same question as Richard 1148. Does anyone know if solid deoderants like Mitchum (as opposed to roll-ons like Ban or liquid/gels like Right Guard or Gillette) can be taken in a carry-on?

Hotels supply shampoo and I'm guessing that the solid stick deoderants are OK, but I don't know how shaving cream would be classified.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.