TSA out of control JFK Su 12Jul

Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
TSA out of control JFK Su 12Jul

Sunday afternoon at JFK I presented my airline id(which I use all time) to the id checker at JFK. He REFUSED to accept it & said I needed to show a valid govt. issued id. I attempted to explain that I always use this but he was nasty & would have no part of this. By then I was getting very mad(not a good thing for me) so I gave in & gave the idiot my state D.L. Then to really just piss me off he kept looking back & forth at it & myself for what seemed like the longest time. I just about lost it but wanted to get home. And before the flight my son had said dad "remember you've got to keep your cool".

Now at the same time my son who was with me had his belt beep as he went through. Should've been not a big deal, but the TSA guy with the tin badge made smart remarks to him(which I didn't hear a good thing) he got so mad he almost lost it but kept his cool.

As all of us who post here know this agency is OUT OF CONTROL & no doubt costing the airlines money due to their non sense. This kind of crap is why this airline employee stays off airplanes
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i thought that you had to show a gov't issued id....
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Airline-issued and airport-issued identification are acceptable, as long as they are issued under a TSA-approved security plan.

My JFK airport ID (issued by the Port Authority under a TSA-approved security plan) works about 50% of the time at airports elsewhere in the country. If the TDC doesn't accept it, I use my Passport Card.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko
From the TSA web page:
"An airline or airport-issued ID(if issued under a TSA approved security plan)

Mine was. I started to tell the idiot he needed to be trained but was so mad I backed off. Next time I'll do what others have said & just print the page.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Next time I'll do what others have said & just print the page.
I would have escalated to a supervisor as well.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I would have escalated to a supervisor as well.

All of my experience here was saying "do it" but quite frankly I was just to pissed & for me not a good thing at the time so I let it go & quite frankly I didn't figure it would do any good.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:37 am

ID docs still not required of passengers at airports

Originally Posted by clacko
The only document you are required to present is a boarding pass.

For information about the lack of a requirement that passengers present credentials that can be used to verify their identities, please see the following FT threads:
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
All of my experience here was saying "do it" but quite frankly I was just to pissed & for me not a good thing at the time so I let it go & quite frankly I didn't figure it would do any good.
BTDTGTTS - I have gotten to that point as well, so I can understand.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I do feel sorry for you Americans who have to put up with TSA all the time. It's the main reason I don't travel much to the US anymore.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

I just filed an on line complaint on the TSA website & asked that these folks also be trained or re trained on acceptable id's. I also requested a response to their action, but am not holding my breath.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:28 pm

The only time ID should be requested is when the person making the request has a computer nearby with a terminal that can accurately counter-check. Anyone can make a false ID in the digital age.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I do feel sorry for you Americans who have to put up with TSA all the time. It's the main reason I don't travel much to the US anymore.
Unfortunately you’re not alone. Please write to the Chamber of Commerce / Visitors Bureau of where you used to stay in the States and let them know why you are spending your money elsewhere.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:53 pm

CATSA, at least at the US bound gates of YYZ, doesn't seem much different to me.

JFK seems to ahve the worst X Ray people I've encountered. They seem to like staying on the same bag for 5 minutes b/c they are talking. I didn't want to go through the WTMD b/c my stuff was still landside on the belt and at least 3 employees were able to go through the WTMD in front of me before the x ray belt finally moved.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
CATSA isn't much better.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by skofarrell
CATSA isn't much better.
CATSA does not check IDs; the law prohibits it. Other than YYZ (ptooey) they are much more civil and effecient in screening. IME.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.