Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by nrr
I can't see why a "sample=trial"(1 oz) size tooth paste is forbidden (but if I want "logic" in all of this I'm asking for trouble .) I know that a 1 oz size will last about 30 uses; I was thinking of bringing 3 or 4 small "dabs" for a weekend trip--I wonder if that is legal?
I am pretty sure no, it says none. Put it in your bags. Worse case they throw it away.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by birdstrike
How about Tempur pedic memory foam pillows? Claims to be foam, feels like a gel.

I was thinking of buying one of these.
I would PM Bart, he has been very helpful.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Reposted from Travelbuzz. Like others, I didn't realize there was a "travel security" forum. Nice to meet you guys!]

I came back from overseas yesterday and simply checked most of my luggage to avoid the new liquid/gel rules. They did confiscate a bottle of water I had in my hand luggage, though.

I have a short domestic trip to Florida next week that I really don't want to check luggage for. What experiences are people having at security? How strict are the rules being enforced? Like if I have a tiny plastic tube of toothpaste with me, will I get busted? I read somewhere that they've eased up on non-prescription drugs, including contact lense solutions -- but that you're only allowed something like 4 ounces. Anyone with experience on this? I guess I could somehow buy a travel size multipurpose solution.

And what about deordorant? If it says "stick" on it, I'm good, right? And since I'm going to Florida, I'd like to bring some sunscreen. Will the stick sunscreens pass muster?

Oh the joys of going liquid/gel free!!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
"Personal lubricants - Up to 4 oz. Yes Yes "

So personal lubricants get better treatment than toothpaste. Is this a tacit endorsement by TSA of efforts to join the Mile-High Club?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:32 am

A couple of areas where the TSA site isn't that clear and questions come up:

1. Solid pills. May I understand that these are o.k., prescription or OTC, no matter what container they're in?

2. Food. I hope the "don't overthink it" message on the TSA site would be directed to the screeners in the pax's favor, so that any food is o.k. and they don't take sandwiches apart, no matter what bit of spread or sauce may be on it. I worried about it being a problem having mayonnaise spread on a sandwich bought airside; everyone, including the vendor, thought that was an absurd concern, but then there's the story about bagels with cream cheese not being allowed. So when you go from sliced tomatoes to tomato paste to sauce, when does it become forbidden? Someone on this board asked "Why bring food onboard?" I like to have a free beverage with my food, and if on Southwest it means a free beer with coupons.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:57 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by rove312

So when you go from sliced tomatoes to tomato paste to sauce, when does it become forbidden?

TSA: Tomatoes Surely Allowed? Fresh, Yes! Processed? NO! But the real culprit is the dressing! Ah yes, Russian dressing, the forbidden fruit! Yum! So if you've got that white styrofoam salad to-go container in your hands with dressing on the side in a little plastic dressing container sitting on top, you may be informed that you must pour the dressing over your salad before going on board, because containers of salad dressing are not allowed in the cabin. Hope you feel safer! Enjoy!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:34 am

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Originally Posted by nrr
I can't see why a "sample=trial"(1 oz) size tooth paste is forbidden (but if I want "logic" in all of this I'm asking for trouble .) I know that a 1 oz size will last about 30 uses; I was thinking of bringing 3 or 4 small "dabs" for a weekend trip--I wonder if that is legal?
Well, there you go. . Put your 3 or 4 small "dabs" in your sandwich!!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by birdstrike
How about Tempur pedic memory foam pillows? Claims to be foam, feels like a gel.

I was thinking of buying one of these.
Don't they are awful. It's sort of a big scam.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnaget
Don't they are awful. It's sort of a big scam.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Once of co-worker swears by this: http://www.relaxtheback.com/premium-...duct-1808-1866

That's what I was thinking of buying.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312

1. Solid pills. May I understand that these are o.k., prescription or OTC, no matter what container they're in?

2. Food. I hope the "don't overthink it" message on the TSA site would be directed to the screeners in the pax's favor, so that any food is o.k. and they don't take sandwiches apart, no matter what bit of spread or sauce may be on it. I worried about it being a problem having mayonnaise spread on a sandwich bought airside; everyone, including the vendor, thought that was an absurd concern, but then there's the story about bagels with cream cheese not being allowed. So when you go from sliced tomatoes to tomato paste to sauce, when does it become forbidden? Someone on this board asked "Why bring food onboard?" I like to have a free beverage with my food, and if on Southwest it means a free beer with coupons.
I have had no problems with pills of any kind.
YMMV
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:19 pm

Little question, What about a frozen bottle of water? That would be a Solid under chemistry definitions. You cna just say "This is not a liquid it is a frozen bottole of H2O"

Mark
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Mark....you've got a lot of catching up to do in this Forum.
Prior to the London incident, this sleepy forum had 12-18 new threads per week. Now we're getting 30-40 per day.
It's a bit overwhelming I'll admit.
The frozen water/ice idea has been cussed and discussed in a dozen threads and the bottomline is NO.
And the answer is the same for Dry Ice which doesn't even pass from a solid to a liquid unless you do funny stuff to it.
No way around the "NO BEVERAGES" BS, at this time, unfortunately.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:06 am
ob1

Programs: United GS
Originally Posted by Richard1148
Gel or aerosol deoderants are not permitted in carry-on. So does that mean that solids that are not gel (usually white in color) are OK? Roll-on deoderants have liquid inside so are they banned as a liquid or permitted as a deoderant that is not gel or aerosol?

I can't believe I have to ask such questions.
Well here`s my personal expereince
In the US - assuming they find the offending item (in frequent), solid is allowed.
However - try flying through other international points (Frankfurt as one example) and they will not onlz take solid deodorant but they also took three pens that had "liquid" in them.....!!!

ob1
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:11 am
ob1

Programs: United GS
Originally Posted by shawbridge
1. Does shaving cream in a can count as an aerosol? There are both regular and gel shaving creams in a can. I assume that the gel shaving cream, even in the can, cannot be taken on board. But can the foamy type of shaving cream?

2. I have the same question as Richard 1148. Does anyone know if solid deoderants like Mitchum (as opposed to roll-ons like Ban or liquid/gels like Right Guard or Gillette) can be taken in a carry-on?
Any aerosol is not allowed (and for the most part easy to see => easily found) - so no gel or foam shaving cream. I am guessing manzy of us might revert back to the solid shaving block with the brush that we all moved away from for the convenience and better solution of shaving foam and gel - sigh)

In the US they will *typically* allow solid (but YMMV). Just came through FRA and they not only took my solid deodorant but took three pens that had liquid in them - for the love of Mike!

ob1
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:06 pm

Didn't see this one covered... if it has, my apologies. How about a 16.5g medicated nose spray in a plastic bottle (not aerosol), which has been prescribed and is in the original box displaying the Rx?

And, am I correct that all personally prescribed medications can be in your carry-on? I will be going on an extended trip to Asia soon, and am covering myself for any and all illnesses and problems.

Thanks for the help...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.