Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:06 am

Adult son who is Premier flew over the holiday week-end LAX-ORD-BWI & IAD-LAX. LAX security saw his tube of toothpaste and bottle of water and let him pass through. ORD was the same, security saw the items and let him pass through. IAD security took both the water and toothpaste.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:26 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sandrar
Adult son who is Premier flew over the holiday week-end LAX-ORD-BWI & IAD-LAX. LAX security saw his tube of toothpaste and bottle of water and let him pass through. ORD was the same, security saw the items and let him pass through. IAD security took both the water and toothpaste.
Great. Just like I feared, we have another stupid rule like the 55 MPH speed limit.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having flown around this weekend, "my" TSA agents didn't seem too interested in small liquids. I didn't see them confiscate anything from anyone, nor did anyone ask questions about my own saline, deodorant, etc.

Of course, the problem is that, like everything else associated with the TSA, the rules will change from station to station (and from a security standpoint, maybe that's not such a bad thing?). That said, I would now be more inclined to pack small, inexpensive toiletries and take my chances.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:59 am

Question on Nasal Sprays and Items Freezing?

Unfortunately, there is no extensive list of prohibited items, so I have questions on allowable items, as all of us do. Like non-prescription Afrin Nasal Spray. Mind you, this isn't just saline solution. It is a necessary product for my flight travel. I just read somewhere that chap stick (the stick kind, not gel) is permitted.

Does anyone know how such items like shampoo, aftershave/perfumes, inhalers, nasal sprays, eye medication, body lotion, and Prescription Advair, handle being checked in under the plane? Have there been problems with these liquids freezing and bursting in their containers??

Thanks in advance for any information that all of my fellow travelers have!!

Jason
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:15 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by capncrunch_11
Unfortunately, there is no extensive list of prohibited items, so I have questions on allowable items, as all of us do. Like non-prescription Afrin Nasal Spray. Mind you, this isn't just saline solution. It is a necessary product for my flight travel. I just read somewhere that chap stick (the stick kind, not gel) is permitted.

Does anyone know how such items like shampoo, aftershave/perfumes, inhalers, nasal sprays, eye medication, body lotion, and Prescription Advair, handle being checked in under the plane? Have there been problems with these liquids freezing and bursting in their containers??

Jason
fwiw, i flew labor day w/e sfo-las-sfo with both nasal spray (2oz non scrip) and chapstick in my carry on as i do on every flight and did not have any poroblems. according to the tsa website, non-liquid lip balms (i.e solids) and non-scrip meds less than 4oz are allowed and i purposely placed them very prominently in my bag to see if they would be seen by x-ray (which they weren't) just in case. imho, you shouldn't have any problems but it might be worth travelling with a copy of the "yes/no list" printed from the tsa website (and if possible, print it from the tsa website the day befored your travel as it will have the date printed on it in case you are told "the info is old"). again, you should have no problems.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by capncrunch_11

Jason
Welcome to Flyertalk, Jason!

I regularly include several liquids, shampoos, etc. in my checked luggage. I've never been aware of an item freezing and thus bursting in its container, even on flights across an ocean. The problems I've noticed are more related to changes in air pressure, which I understand are less controlled in cargo holds than in passenger cabins. Years ago, after arriving at a destination to find a container of sunlotion had spilled probably from air pressure changes, I learned to squeeze as much of the air out of each container as I could and to put all of my liquids, creams, etc. packed in my checked luggage into Ziplock or similar bags. After several trips a few years ago which some powder was apparently opened and tested by TSA and then not completely closed so that it spilled on surrounding items, I started putting it in Ziplocks also and have had no further problems.

Sidenote: One mystery I never spent much time trying to solve but is probably related to pressure or temperature changes involved Phisoderm cleansing lotion (the white, opaque one which has been around for decades). When I packed it, its consistency was fairly thick, close to Karo syrup. When I unpacked it after a transatlantic flight, it was much thinner, like half and half.

Last edited by TRRed; Sep 6, 2006 at 9:32 am Reason: Add welcome
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA ex-1K (now nothing), Hilton Gold
Quick question that just occurred to me... do the shampoo/shaving cream prohibitions in the main cabin apply to flights that don't involve the US or UK? Specifically, I have an inter-Germany flight on LH this evening (MUC-TXL), and I'm wondering if the same rules are enforced. Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:33 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by sandrar
Why would he go through security in ORD? Did he go outside to smoke or something?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:35 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveller
They've looked at my solid stick deoderant 3 times and okayed it, but it does say "solid" on the package in big letters.... in MCI, LGA and MCO. btw, since I refuse to check my 20 inch rollerboard, it is getting opened everytime at the security checkpoints.
Interesting - thanks for the data points.
I flew ORD-MIA-ORD this past weekend, and security was absolutely no different for me than it was pre August 10th. I had my rollerboard and they didn't look at it, at all.
Looks like TSA continues to be inconsistent. <shrug>
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:33 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Long as I can bring my laptop, psp and Ipod, I'm good to go
Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Dhamal
Yep, good for you but screw others who want to bring other things onboard (water, mascara, hair gel, etc). What are you going to do when they ban electronics?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Dhamal
The revised U.S. Army Field Manual issued in July bans specific acts against prisoners, including "deprivation of fool or water". This brings our treatment of "enemy combatants" closer in line with the Geneva Convention. Too bad it doesn't apply to airline passengers.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:19 am

There seem to be many loopholes in our system. Why not bring it all on {hear me bad guys?} and take your chances? If you keep it unobtrusive, you may get by. Please don't throw it in our faces if we look the other way. That's how we get busted, ergo you get busted.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:33 pm

Duty Free Perfumes

This may be a painfully obvious question, but I want (need?) to buy some perfumes - thought I'd get them at Duty Free in HKG. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this and not have them confiscated??
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:08 pm

"Personal lubricants - Up to 4 oz. Yes Yes"

Would lotion qualify? Or is the TSA's idea of a Personal lubricants something completly different

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.