Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I had duct tape confiscated...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:31 am

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
Originally Posted by LAChargers
I also had duct tape confiscated in Manila but I don't think there is a market value for duct tape...
I get the feeling that Manila security are looking for the big bad terrorist so they can be a hero. In my case it was masking tape which is made of paper so not even as strong as duct tape...

Personally, I don't think the security in most of the places in Manila is worth anything because it's all for show.

Flaflyer, do you realise how useful that information would be in the wrong hands? Gosh, you'll get this thread closed for inciting things!
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by grahamb
I get the feeling that Manila security are looking for the big bad terrorist so they can be a hero. In my case it was masking tape which is made of paper so not even as strong as duct tape...

Personally, I don't think the security in most of the places in Manila is worth anything because it's all for show.

Flaflyer, do you realise how useful that information would be in the wrong hands? Gosh, you'll get this thread closed for inciting things!
The duct tape was actually confiscated from my 5 foot tall wife--not the terrorist type...

I have noticed that most of the security there is for show. Most security guards with guns have never fired a gun and I believe most of the "bomb-sniffing" dogs are fakes--they are just regular dogs there for show.

I've also noticed that many times when entering a hotel area that when the security guards take the mirror around the bottom of the car that they usually are not even looking at it. I often wondered if when they open the trunk of the car if they would know a bomb if they saw one. I'm sure they wouldn't.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting that the TSA expressly permitted carryon handcuffs for a while on its "prohibited items list." Then, after a few months, handcuffs were removed from the list of permitted items.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:14 am

Duct tape and tea spoon confiscated

I'm right now next to the security check at Hurghada airport, Egypt, drinking my can of beer which I just forgot in my hand luggage. Just now they also confiscated my duct tape and a tea spoon as well, that's why I found this thread here. Currently there's a woman arguing with the staff about bringing an electricity socket. It's the strictest airport I've ever seen. Despite that I just came from India and they have not even restrictions for liquids, so you can even bring 5l on board.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Stephan Mueller
I'm right now next to the security check at Hurghada airport, Egypt, drinking my can of beer which I just forgot in my hand luggage. Just now they also confiscated my duct tape and a tea spoon as well, that's why I found this thread here. Currently there's a woman arguing with the staff about bringing an electricity socket. It's the strictest airport I've ever seen. Despite that I just came from India and they have not even restrictions for liquids, so you can even bring 5l on board.
Egypt has had many more attacks (attempted and successful) on aircraft than has India. Some folks only close the barn door after....so the thinking goes.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
Egypt has had many more attacks (attempted and successful) on aircraft than has India. Some folks only close the barn door after....so the thinking goes.
I'm pretty sure none have involved duct tape or electric sockets (probably useful things for personnel to bring home in Egypt).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
I'm pretty sure none have involved duct tape or electric sockets (probably useful things for personnel to bring home in Egypt).
So you acknowledge that a tea spoon, in the wrong hands, can be a deadly weapon, yeah?

/s
Old Nov 4, 2020, 2:43 am

Duct Tape problem

Hi everyone,

I and my wife flied to Singapore last weekend to visit our neighbors. When we came back, at the airport, the security officer saw a small roll of duct tape in my suitcase and retrieved it because he said that tapes were prohibited. It's just a small roll of tapes which have some cute logo in it, my daughter loves that. I have searched on gg but could not find the reasonal answer. So why is duct tape prohibited and how about other kind of tape like double-side tape, nano tape... are they accepted?
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have not heard this before, but it could be argued that duct tape can be used to restrain someone. A bit strange.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:20 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Hello RichardNg,

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
RichardNg likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 12:16 pm

In the US, TSA/homeland insecurity has this as a specifically mentioned item and states duct tape is allowed in both carry-on and checked bags:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tems/duct-tape

of course, as noted above, the screener has final discretion in what goes/doesn't go.

However, you seem to be saying it was Singaporean security that did not allow it to fly on a return flight to see your neighbors. It is not clear to me if "neighbors" means your flight in question was a return flight to a location close to Singapore (Singapore/arriving country rules apply - not TSA rules) or a return to the US (Singapore/TSA rules apply) because people who are your neighbors in the US were in Singapore. If the flight was a return to the US, perhaps the Singapore security staff is ill-informed/educated on TSA rules.
RichardNg likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:49 pm

Oh sorry for the unclear content,

It happened on the return flight to my hometown in Vietnam. Hmm maybe it's just because of the difference rules. It was not a big problem, I just felt a little bit uncomfortable because it's my daughter's.
Another question, so how about a little pieces of double side tape, does it legal, when we are in the airplane, it's quite inconvenient to keep holding the phone in a long trip, so I've thought of using a small pieces of tape to stick my phone in the seat in front of me. It's just a nano tape and it does not damage the chair or leave glue marks. If not, do you have any advice? Thank you.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 9:33 am

Again, it depends upon the particular security authorities - as above, in the US duct-tape is allowed but many other countries do not allow it. But I suspect that if you have only small amounts it should not only be allowed but would probably go undetected. Having said that, there are many inexpensive device holders available just about everywhere phones and phone accessories are sold that might well perform better than taping your device to the seat-back in front of you....
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Duct tape? Never had that or masking tape become an issue, but then when I have had such in my cabin baggage it’s not a very thick roll.

I’m probably going to be flying again with electrical tape soon and I would expect that some of that stuff and some of that silvery type duct tape may look strange on some baggage scanners or even cause an opaque spot — more so when it’s a thick roll.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have not heard this before, but it could be argued that duct tape can be used to restrain someone. A bit strange.
The same could be argued for any type of cord or cable, yet they are all permitted pretty much universally. In the US, I've never had anyone bat an eye at my steel laptop cable lock, either, and with the lock on the end of it, that thing could easily be used as a weapon. But I think you are probably right - the issue of using tape as a restraint is probably why it's prohibited in some parts of the world.

Originally Posted by RichardNg
Oh sorry for the unclear content,

It happened on the return flight to my hometown in Vietnam. Hmm maybe it's just because of the difference rules. It was not a big problem, I just felt a little bit uncomfortable because it's my daughter's.
Another question, so how about a little pieces of double side tape, does it legal, when we are in the airplane, it's quite inconvenient to keep holding the phone in a long trip, so I've thought of using a small pieces of tape to stick my phone in the seat in front of me. It's just a nano tape and it does not damage the chair or leave glue marks. If not, do you have any advice? Thank you.
Small bits of nano tape would probably work, if the seat back has a smooth surface. I don't think it would work on upholstery. I never seem to be able to use nano tape more than once, though; it stretches and loses its adhesion as soon as I pull an item loose.

For some applications, I like using 3M Command hooks. If they are available to you, give them a try. They are only good for one application, but very sturdy and leave no residue on most surfaces.
https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/com...saAldtEALw_wcB

I definitely recommend not using any sort of mounting tape or double-sided tape that might leave residue on any surface.

I prefer to leave the tray table up and hang a small organizer bag from it using carabiners as hooks. The bag has compartments for my phone and other items I need in flight, and a couple of bottle holders for water and a soft drink. Makes everything convenient and easy to reach, but takes up little space. I even have a mount for my tablet on the front of the bag, so I can use it to watch videos, read, or use the on board internet. I'm tall and overweight, so the tray table is not comfortable for me to use anyway.

Last edited by WillCAD; Nov 6, 2020 at 4:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.