Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft seat spacing FAA regulations?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingbee
So to summarise, here we have a minimum seat pitch, but it's not very generous, particularly if you are over 6ft.
Ouch, 26-28"

I get tendonitis in my knees when I ride in the 31" pitch of most domestic US Y seats, particularly when the pax in front of me inevitably feel the need to recline as far as they can despite obviously feeling my knees impact with their back. That is probably the single biggest reason I fly UA so often--to get their E+ and its extra inches.

I can't imagine 26" pitch
Old Oct 6, 2005, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA, SPG
Originally Posted by exerda
Ouch, 26-28"

I get tendonitis in my knees when I ride in the 31" pitch of most domestic US Y seats, particularly when the pax in front of me inevitably feel the need to recline as far as they can despite obviously feeling my knees impact with their back. That is probably the single biggest reason I fly UA so often--to get their E+ and its extra inches.

I can't imagine 26" pitch
JetBlue has a real spacious rear section, I had plenty of room at 6'4"... ( I think it's 33" for the back of the plane) nice leather seats, pretty cheap, best IFE there is... I just wish they flew internationally, and had a Frequent Flier program I could use.

Dan K
Old Oct 6, 2005, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by DanKelly
JetBlue has a real spacious rear section, I had plenty of room at 6'4"... ( I think it's 33" for the back of the plane) nice leather seats, pretty cheap, best IFE there is... I just wish they flew internationally, and had a Frequent Flier program I could use.

Dan K
they do fly international Costa Rica and Dominican Rep. from JFK
and have some type of frequent flyer program, not great but it does exist
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:40 am

FAA seat standards

The FAA currently has no standards limiting how small seats can be or how tightly they may be placed. FAA rules for seats on passenger planes are limited to the following three items:

Seats and their supporting structure, safety belts and anchorages must be designed for an occupant weight of 170 pounds, (25.785)
Aisles must have a specified minimum width, (25.815)
No more than three seats may be placed on either side of an aisle. (25.817)

The National Association of Airline Passengers has filed a formal Petition for Rule-making with the FAA to set standards guaranteeing each passenger adequate leg, hip, and shoulder room:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2014-0663-0001

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.