Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are adult or child bulletproof vests allowed? (worn, carry-on, or checked-luggage)

Are adult or child bulletproof vests allowed? (worn, carry-on, or checked-luggage)

Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:37 am
KathyMoore

Also, I know hunting rifles have to unloaded and locked in secure/approved container to be checked in as luggage, but what about hunting bows/crossbows? Can they simply be packed in a regular suitcase and then checked?

Thanks!

Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by KathyMoore

Also, I know hunting rifles have to unloaded and locked in secure/approved container to be checked in as luggage, but what about hunting bows/crossbows? Can they simply be packed in a regular suitcase and then checked?

Thanks!
Any and all items that are listed as a weapon but authorized to fly must be checked baggage. For example. Base ball bats can not come past security but you can check them. Bows arrows and even knives can come into the airport but not past the security check point.

If you wear a vest in some cases you may be screened differently if the metal detector signals and they find your wearing a vest. To actually wear the vest is not against any rules or regs that I am aware of.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
I think that some states prohibit civilian possession of bulletproof vests/body armor. IIRC, such laws resulted from the shootout in L.A. where bank robbers used fully automatic weapons and wore body armor. LAPD had a difficult time thwarting robbers. If TSA stops a person wearing bulletproof vest/body armor in any jurisdiction, I imagine that screener/supervisor would contact LEO to sort out situation.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
I think that some states prohibit civilian possession of bulletproof vests/body armor. IIRC, such laws resulted from the shootout in L.A. where bank robbers used fully automatic weapons and wore body armor. LAPD had a difficult time thwarting robbers. If TSA stops a person wearing bulletproof vest/body armor in any jurisdiction, I imagine that screener/supervisor would contact LEO to sort out situation.
Yes, we must all be more vulnerable than the state so that we can be free.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:30 am

Programs: TSA
I have seen people coming through the CP with them on. It is a great inconvenience to the person that wears it. When it is discovered, it is going to lead to a lot of questions and an EXTREME secondary inspection of everything that you are carrying. In my mind, it is not worth the hassle.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Coastiejoe
If you wear a vest in some cases you may be screened differently if the metal detector signals and they find your wearing a vest.
I can't imagine a situation where the trauma plate wouldn't signal the detector.

I guess I learned something...I didn't even know they made bulletproof vests for children.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eyecue
I have seen people coming through the CP with them on. It is a great inconvenience to the person that wears it. When it is discovered, it is going to lead to a lot of questions and an EXTREME secondary inspection of everything that you are carrying.
Would it result in the same extreme secondary inspection if it were in the carry-on luggage rather than being worn? The wearer could, of course, put it right back on after going passing the checkpoint.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:24 pm
Suspended

There is nothing that prohibits bullet-proof vests just as there is nothing that prohibits handcuffs in carry-on luggage. You may get some questions from the police or airlines, but you shouldn't get any questions from TSA personnel. Having said that, I know that there are some overzealous supervisors who take it upon themselves to question whatever they perceive as unusual. Don't know what to say about that other than it shouldn't happen.

Of course, there are those situations where other factors may play. For example, while a bullet proof vest by itself should not warrant a second glance, IF the individual were to exhibit OTHER strange or unusual behavior IN ADDITION to wearing a bullet proof vest, THEN that MAY warrant further scrutiny. But by itself, it should not.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by indufan
I can't imagine a situation where the trauma plate wouldn't signal the detector.

I guess I learned something...I didn't even know they made bulletproof vests for children.
I did not think that Kevlar or Zylon were metal and would thus alarm the WTMD. I recall that some vests contain a metal plate, but what about armor that is only Kevlar or Zylon?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
I did not think that Kevlar or Zylon were metal and would thus alarm the WTMD. I recall that some vests contain a metal plate, but what about armor that is only Kevlar or Zylon?
They will not alarm the WTMD. However, keep in mind that if you go through the WTMD wearing a vest, you're going to be screened in secondary. We specifically look for bulky vests worn underneath clothing. (Just to clarify my previous post, there is nothing prohibited about having a bullet proof vest in your carry-on; however, wearing one certainly draws a lot more attention and scrutiny. I would hope this to be obvious.)
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Now I'm curious, KathyMoore, which ads did google present you with for this thread? (I use Mozilla Firefox so I don't see the any ads.)

Edited to add: Whoops, never mind. You answered that in the lobster thread.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Sep 12, 2005 at 8:03 am
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:08 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by SJC1K
Would it result in the same extreme secondary inspection if it were in the carry-on luggage rather than being worn? The wearer could, of course, put it right back on after going passing the checkpoint.
They are pretty dense cloth. 1000 denier kevlar may get your bag swabbed. However going into a public restroom to don it may get some reaction from other people using the restroom. What is the saying on the PA system at airports: "Please report any suspicious activity to law enforcement or TSA personnel."
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eyecue
However going into a public restroom to don it may get some reaction from other people using the restroom.
I change clothes in stalls in airport restrooms all the time, from business dress for meetings to casual clothes for travel or vice versa. If I put on a bulletproof vest in a stall I don't see how anyone could notice the difference. They might notice the bulk after I left, but not the donning of the vest itself.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Yes, we must all be more vulnerable than the state so that we can be free.
It's also important to give up our freedom, because that's what the terrorists hate.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:51 am

Am I the only one who would be highly suspicious about anyone trying to get on a flight wearing a bullet-proof vest?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.