Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can we bring grapes through the TSA checkpoints?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)

Can we bring grapes through the TSA checkpoints so we can eat them on the plane?

DD
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:47 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Yes you can.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Just validating that grapes are ok. We've brought grapes as an in-flight snack for the kids plenty of times. Only thing you have to be aware of is going to a destination with agricultural/customs checks. For example, flying to Hawaii? You can eat them on the plane, but they must be left on the plane or otherwise disposed of before setting foot on the islands.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
For example, flying to Hawaii? You can eat them on the plane, but they must be left on the plane or otherwise disposed of before setting foot on the islands.
I think the rules are different mainland-to-Hawaii versus Hawaii-to-mainland. This page suggests that grapes are okay mainland-to-Hawaii, whereas this page indicates that grapes aren't allowed Hawaii-to-mainland. Disclaimer: I've not tried bringing grapes in either direction.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eye of Storm
I think the rules are different mainland-to-Hawaii versus Hawaii-to-mainland. This page suggests that grapes are okay mainland-to-Hawaii, whereas this page indicates that grapes aren't allowed Hawaii-to-mainland. Disclaimer: I've not tried bringing grapes in either direction.
Huh. Well, we've always just ditched all fruits when entering Hawaii. Good to know my understanding is either outdated or just plain wrong
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
My understanding is that you can ask the USDA officer at point of entry/exit whether certain fruit that you have is allowed, and if it isn't, then no big deal; you simply discard it right there. No penalty or fine, because you declared it and followed their instructions. I've done what I just described with a (forbidden upon exiting Hawaii for the mainland) apple.

The problems arise when you have something that's not allowed and don't declare it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.