Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fly back to Germany on expired passport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
The other complication in this situation is regardless of what we say or post here all it would take is one airline agent to say “no way” and the OP would be stuck landside. Even calling the airline and getting some CSR to say “no problem” is not a guarantee. I can easily imagine the conversation where the OP is saying “but Miss WhatsHerName said I’d fine” while check in agent is saying “Miss WhatsHerName was wrong”. Get a passport or travel document from the German consulate or embassy.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Most countries will let in their citizens with expired documents but it's a hassle. I wouldn't risk leaving the airport without a valid document. Most online checkins require you to enter your passport expiration date so that wouldn't work either.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I can't believe that the OP is for real. If he/she is they will not be able to board a flight in the US without having a document check. The airlines require the complete passport data including expiration date.

I have flown many times, with the correct data and without checked bags, and still was told after online checkin that I have to see an agent for my BP.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
I can't believe that the OP is for real. If he/she is they will not be able to board a flight in the US without having a document check. The airlines require the complete passport data including expiration date.

I have flown many times, with the correct data and without checked bags, and still was told after online checkin that I have to see an agent for my BP.
if you add all the correct information during online check-in a lot of airlines issue electronic boarding passes for US-EU trips. If I don't check luggage I use that all the time. Just boarded SJC-FRA using the mobile boarding pass.

Anyway, I guess entering fake data or a data for an expired passport will certainly not work and requires a trip to the check-in desk. and then the OP would not get a boarding pass... end of story.

only option is to get a new passport from the consulate.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cruisr
...they will not be able to board a flight in the US without having a document check. The airlines require the complete passport data including expiration date.
Exactly. Airlines are careful about document checks because they are subject to substantial fines when they board passengers who are refused entry at their destinations due to incomplete, improper or invalid travel documents.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by fassy
if you add all the correct information during online check-in a lot of airlines issue electronic boarding passes for US-EU trips. If I don't check luggage I use that all the time. Just boarded SJC-FRA using the mobile boarding pass.

Anyway, I guess entering fake data or a data for an expired passport will certainly not work and requires a trip to the check-in desk. and then the OP would not get a boarding pass... end of story.
Different airlines have different policies. Seems when I've flown Delta international or gone past one of their international flights that's boarding, there's a brief passport check at the boarding scanners to make sure you haven't lost the passport into a toilet since the docs check and that all is correct for immigration at your destination.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Seems when I've flown Delta international or gone past one of their international flights that's boarding, there's a brief passport check at the boarding scanners to make sure you haven't lost the passport into a toilet since the docs check and that all is correct for immigration at your destination.
It's the same at American.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The USA does not (yet) have any exit controls so you will not have a problems leaving the country. Getting back in may be different issue.
But they do require airlines to submit information on departing passenger. This is a non-issue for US citizens but can cause problems for foreigners and might raise questions when OP travels back to the US as the CBP can check departure dates associated with passport numbers.

Wouldn't an expired passport and green card constitute an over-stay? Neither documents would be valid to stay in the US.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:43 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

This is the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum. It is an informational forum and the place to solicit and receive advice and information to help you travel safely and with minimum hassle.

Please feel free to answer the OP's question whether he or she can fly back to Germany on expired passport and if he or she has any recourse, and offer constructive advice.

Opinion and commentary belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Discussion of US exit controls, if any, belong in one of the following threads:
If you wish to discuss whether an expired passport and/or green card constitute an overstay, please start a new thread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you for your understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 23, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Different airlines have different policies. Seems when I've flown Delta international or gone past one of their international flights that's boarding, there's a brief passport check at the boarding scanners to make sure you haven't lost the passport into a toilet since the docs check and that all is correct for immigration at your destination.
a passport can be easily lost on the airplane... actually witnesses that a few weeks back when a poor guy was searching through the cabin for his passport...

Anyway, true enough most airlines want to see the passport at the gate - others do not or just compare the names with the boarding pass.

but without a valid passport the OP won't even get a boarding pass and be able to enter the gate area to stumble over that complication.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To simplify. Without valid travel documents, e.g. a passport or what is termed a passport-replacing document, OP will not be permitted to board any flight to Germany. Even if OP is able to OLCI and make it through the checkpoint, his documents will then be checked at the gate. But, most likely OP won't be permitted to OLCI and no BP will be issued until his carrier's agent has physically seen his travel documents. He, of course, does not have those.

This is all because carriers are fined for presenting passengers lacking proper documents and Germany, which cannot deny entry to its own nationals, will still insist that the passenger have a document which could easily have been issued by any consulate.

Given the choice of getting the temporary document and flying or not getting the document, being a now show for a flight when next available and perhaps having to purchase a new ticket, the choice seems easy.

As others note, OP will need to obtain a permanent document whilst in Germany as the US will not readmit him as he won't have a valid passport, "green" card, and he is not a USN.
Randyk47 and beachmouse like this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. Something I forgot to add was that while my passport and green card were expired back in 2015 I flew to Bahrain under military orders and all they checked for was my military ID and I got through security, gate and another checkpoint in England just fine by showing them my military orders to Bahrain. I was only gone for 3 months. I'm in the navy but I get out on Thursday this week and I'm trying to haul ... back to Germany and never return to live In the states again. So it's looking like I'd just get a temporary passport from the embassy which takes several days to a week to receive.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Travel on military orders has nothing to do with what you propose.

Get yourself a temporary document from the nearest Consulate, not likely the Embassy, use that to get home and that is it. At some point, if you intend to travel overseas again, you should get a new passport, but that isn't the issue right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.