Trekking Poles (in *checked* luggage)

Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Trekking Poles (in *checked* luggage)

I cannot imagine this will be a problem, but it doesn't hurt to ask: Flying ATL-YVR (and back)... Are we okay bringing our collapsible trekking poles?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bicker
I cannot imagine this will be a problem, but it doesn't hurt to ask: Flying ATL-YVR (and back)... Are we okay bringing our collapsible trekking poles?
Yes, they are fine in checked bags.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:37 pm

I just did this a month ago NYC to YYC round-trip and it was fine.

The only thing I'd say (which you probably already know, but just in case) is that if your checked bag is a hiking backpack, that you should store the poles *inside* the bag. I've seen people storing them in the side pocket of the backpack and sending it off at the check-in counter, which seems like a recipe to lose the poles to me...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW If the poles do not easily fit in your bag, take them apart.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by andrewesque
I just did this a month ago NYC to YYC round-trip and it was fine.

The only thing I'd say (which you probably already know, but just in case) is that if your checked bag is a hiking backpack, that you should store the poles *inside* the bag. I've seen people storing them in the side pocket of the backpack and sending it off at the check-in counter, which seems like a recipe to lose the poles to me...
I'd also say wrap something around the metal tips of the poles, I have two bags/backpacks with holes in them because the tips of the poles poked through and punctured the bags.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'd also say wrap something around the metal tips of the poles, I have two bags/backpacks with holes in them because the tips of the poles poked through and punctured the bags.
That!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a trekking pole/dslr monopod.
I use it in the airport.
At airport check-in, SWA agents see it and immediately assume I have a disability.
Free priority boarding for Ms SOZ and me..priceless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.