Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

My parents-in-law have gone missing en route from Canada to Florida...contacts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My parents-in-law have gone missing en route from Canada to Florida...contacts?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
I knew someone that convinced their elderly parents to give the car away as an act of kindness and compassion for someone in need. It was really intended to protect them from an accident, but it was a successful, non aggressive approach that worked.
Like donating it to PBS, American Cancer Society etc. Its a great way to help another person who needs a car while taking the burden off the elderly individuals and getting a tax write off, free towing of the car etc.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Like donating it to PBS, American Cancer Society etc. Its a great way to help another person who needs a car while taking the burden off the elderly individuals and getting a tax write off, free towing of the car etc.
Exactly. I think they did it for someone in their church, but the same concept. Again though, he and his sibling had tried for a couple of years to get his Dad to stop driving for safety reasons. This was just the approach that finally worked. I think I read somewhere that in Asia they offer free meals if you'll turn in your license after a certain age.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
So another update...they are fine but confused and still in a bit of shock. Car is not in great shape. We've been in touch with their doctor back home (a family friend) and I'll fly out Monday to discharge them and then get them on a flight home and into familiar local care. The real pain is going to be sorting out hospital and car insurance issues.

You've all been a great help with suggestions and encouragements. Thanks, it is much appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
All I can say is PHEW. So happy that you were able to locate them - I can only imagine how frightened you must have been.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'll fly out Monday to discharge them and then get them on a flight home and into familiar local care.
You are a good husband and a good son-in-law.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You are a good husband and a good son-in-law.
Ditto
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Insgree

Originally Posted by danielonn
Ditto
You are a true gift to your family!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks all. Not sure I'm looking forward to the intervention discussion!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are not 'missing persons' so I can't report them as such, and to whom?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Given the dementia issue they certainly are missing persons.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
Without a license they drive anyway My 89 year old Mother in Law was given a 5 year renewal for her license in California. She passed the written test, that is all that is required. Yikes.
Yeah. The last few years I knew my father shouldn't be on the road. No way to get him off, though. The thing is he could drive the car properly, just couldn't properly handle when things went wrong. While I do not know exactly what happened my theory was that he could only process a certain amount of information and when presented with more than that (which means any time things went wrong) he would simply fail to note some of it, even if it was quite critical information (such as that there's already a car in that lane--fortunately, only fender-benders resulted, but that meant nothing big enough to get him off the road.)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:16 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
So another update...they are fine but confused and still in a bit of shock. Car is not in great shape. We've been in touch with their doctor back home (a family friend) and I'll fly out Monday to discharge them and then get them on a flight home and into familiar local care. The real pain is going to be sorting out hospital and car insurance issues.

You've all been a great help with suggestions and encouragements. Thanks, it is much appreciated.
You are a great son-in-law! Out of curiosity, did they actually make it to the house and then get in the accident, or did the accident occur en route?

Not sure if the Florida home is rented out when it's otherwise unoccupied, there are some great remote monitoring solutions available if it's essentially empty for many months of the year. You can get smart home technology that notifies you when doors are opened, allows you to remotely unlock the door for someone in case of an emergency, etc. Not sure I'd recommend that if you rent the unit (at least, not the door open/closed notification, which could be a privacy violation), but might otherwise be useful.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

No, it's not rented out. Building access os only via electric key fob, and then you have to get past the management office, where the building manager is very aware of who should and shouldn't be there. We just lock up and go! I've thought of having things like remote video cameras installed, but there's not much point. If we ever have an issue or concern (did we leave the dryer on, did we forget a steak in the fridge) we call the office and someone sorts it out for us.

So the update is that I'm flying out tomorrow to hopefully have them discharged into my care. They sounded very relieved that someone is coming to give them a bit of a hand. Both car and health insurance companies have been super helpful so far, despite never having heard of me before. Once they are fit to fly (hopefully in the next few days), they're being sent back to Canada by air).

Thanks again for the advice and offers of help, both here and by PM. It means a great deal.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Safe travels to you today. May your tasks be made as easy as possible.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
So the update is that I'm flying out tomorrow to hopefully have them discharged into my care. They sounded very relieved that someone is coming to give them a bit of a hand. Both car and health insurance companies have been super helpful so far, despite never having heard of me before. Once they are fit to fly (hopefully in the next few days), they're being sent back to Canada by air).
Thankfully they had health insurance. Many elderly Canadians who visit in the U.S. don't get the coverage due to the cost and can face horrendous bills if they require hospitalization.

Hope the trip goes smoothly for you.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by HeavenlyJane
What a huge relief that your in-laws have been located.

Even without a drivers license, they need a tracker on them. iPhones offer the ability for the owner to be tracked. I make my 20-something daughter give me permission to track them when they are traveling long distances. I bet other more sophisticated phones do also.

An alternative is a necklace tracker, available at websites that service families with dementia concerns.
You can do this with Android too:
https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.