Flashlight in a carry-on bag?

Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by TSORon
Imagine how we feel, with folks who "think" they know what they are talking about. Demanding rights that dont exist. And we deal with them by the thousands every day, whereas you get to suffer through what concerns you so much, what, once a week or so? You will of course understand if I give your concerns the level of drama, that I think they deserve.
Ronnie, part of the problem is that TSA apparatchiks can and often do, make up rules and regulations on the spot in order to retaliate against passengers knowing their rights and standing up for them. Especially, from passengers who TSA hirelings deem as not being respectful enough.

As to my travel arrangements, that's none of your concern. As to the 'DRAMA' I recall reading one of your posts that you made the statement (paraphrased) 'that you were more American than others, because you served.' Would you expand on that statement, please. Want to know how to identify the Uber Americans in our midst.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Ronnie, part of the problem is that TSA apparatchiks can and often do, make up rules and regulations on the spot in order to retaliate against passengers knowing their rights and standing up for them. Especially, from passengers who TSA hirelings deem as not being respectful enough.
AM, I have no doubt that this occasionally happens. Humans can be ... disappointing ... at times. And there are some out there that just are not mature enough to handle the limited authority that government service gives them. It happens.

Wholesale terminations of the folks with these issues is not the answer. Any cooperate management course will tell you that. Teaching them how to deal without making them ineffectual at their duties is the problem, and TSA (in my experience) is not so good at this. I have always had issues with the lack of management training for its frontline supervisors. The training class they DO get teaches them how to run a checkpoint, but not how to supervise people.

The thing that I realize that you and others here dont, is that makes the TSA no different than just about every other government agency and more than 90% of the civilian companies around the planet. Lots of training on how to get the job done, but little to no training for dealing with their subordinates. Sad, but its what we have.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:49 pm

The thing that I realize that you and others here dont, is that makes the TSA no different than just about every other government agency and more than 90% of the civilian companies around the planet. Lots of training on how to get the job done, but little to no training for dealing with their subordinates. Sad, but its what we have.
So fix it.

I've dealt with vendors on multimillion dollar contracts, engineering staff, government contracts officers, DCASMA, end users, equipment operators, company owners, etc. and never found the level of unprofessionalism in any of those areas to be what it is within TSA.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:15 pm

So fix it.
I am one man, and I cannot hold a wrench that big.

I've dealt with vendors on multimillion dollar contracts, engineering staff, government contracts officers, DCASMA, end users, equipment operators, company owners, etc. and never found the level of unprofessionalism in any of those areas to be what it is within TSA.
Never? Ever been realistic, in your entire life?

Didnt think so.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:32 pm

It begins with peer presure to change coworkers attitudes.

Never? Ever been realistic, in your entire life?

Didnt think so.
Oh, there were some unpleasant moments, but nothing like the nearly continuous SNAFUS caused by TSA employees.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Oh Come On TSORon! WTH! Do you think Rosa Parks said "Oh, I'll be a good little so and so and go to the back of the bus"? No! She did the right thing and stood her ground. Now, she wouldn't have had to go through all that bs if the bus drivers had gotten together beforehand and decided they would let people sit wherever they pleased because it was the right thing to do, and white supremacy be damned. Wouldn't you feel better if you attempted to change the system from the inside?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
A while ago there was a thread on flashlights in the technology forum. I used to travel with 3 or 4 flashlights, now, since I am trying to pack lighter and lighter I just carry something like this or a Surefire light. Never had a problem with TSOs or their equivalent in a wide range of countries in North America, Asia, Africa, Europe or Australia. Flashlights are actually required on planes, and I have been on a commercial flight where they needed them for an in air emergency (before I carried one myself).
Old May 5, 2010, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by EdatLAX
Hi folks,

I was wondering if a palm-sized metal-body LED emergency flashlights is acceptable in carry-on luggage such as my laptop bag. I checked the TSA site and flashlights aren't even mentioned.

Ed

I Just got back from AK....Had the Surefire L4 in my pocket both ways...no issues.
Old May 5, 2010, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Ruby06
I Just got back from AK....Had the Surefire L4 in my pocket both ways...no issues.
Thanks Ruby. I've been carrying my Surefire A2 Aviator for a couple of weeks now with no issues so far, even at MHT.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:30 pm

I carry a small Petzl headlamp. Uses AAA batteries, is light and non-descript, allows for easy hands-free operation, and has never been stopped at a checkpoint (yet). I did just dig out my old AA mini-Maglight which appears to be working just fine. Either is cheap enough that I probably wouldn't have a raving fit if it were randomly confiscated at a checkpoint.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, EMIRATES GOLD
Surefire

I carry the E2D Executive Defender surefire flashlight on all trips, domestic and international. No problemos.
Old May 24, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by tokyomike
I carry the E2D Executive Defender surefire flashlight on all trips, domestic and international. No problemos.
Welcome to Flyertalk. IMHO you've been lucky. I wouldn't take the chance.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:58 am

Problem? Ultrafire C1 tactical flashlight?

Would I be okay carrying this in my carryon?

I know that there's no definitive answer to this, given that the SOP can change on a whim... But does anyone have any consistent experience traveling with this device?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Darkumbra

I know that there's no definitive answer to this, given that the SOP can change on a whim... But does anyone have any consistent experience traveling with this device?
Up until last year, I never had any trouble with an Inova X0 in my pocket. Under today's mishmash of stuff made up by the DSOs on the line, I wouldn't bet on getting through without it being either questioned or stolen.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Darkumbra

I have no experience with carrying items like this on carry on. I always put tools in checked bags.

I think the metal attachment with the various tool profiles is likely to cause the entire item to be confiscated, because it's jagged and sharp. The TSA might even get a bit hysterical over it. Personally, I wouldn't risk losing my flashlight over that sort of drama.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.