Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Crossing US-Canada border with someone else's car

Crossing US-Canada border with someone else's car

Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:49 pm

Isn't insurance requirements state law anyways (NH doesn't even require it). Sure they can refer it to state law enforcement but is it itself a reason to deny admission?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:55 pm

Can I ask why this thread is posted on this forum when it doesn't involve flying?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
While this forum is flying centric it contains info on a lot more. From FF programs, credit cards, car rental, hotels to just name a few.

Originally Posted by juliep
Can I ask why this thread is posted on this forum when it doesn't involve flying?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
While I agree that there will probably be no issue and the address on file for the car matching her license/passport address
There is no address on the passport. Just show them that and not your DL for ID.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There is on the computer when they run the passport.

Originally Posted by juliep
There is no address on the passport. Just show them that and not your DL for ID.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 7, 2017 at 8:57 pm Reason: Reference to a deleted post
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:52 pm

Ahhhh...now that makes sense!

I didn't realize they could see the address of the passport on the screen. But people do move, and the passport isn't updated for 10 years. Or it could be sent to a PO box or your work address.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:04 am

In 2006 I drove a family friend's car across the rainbow bridge with a couple of French friends, all of us in our early 20s. They asked me whose car it was, and I said 'my aunt', even though she is not a real aunt, but a close family friend I consider an aunt. So, I even corrected myself. They let us in, but searched our car thoroughly and questioned the two Frenchies (I was an LPR, but without a passport - just GC). The way back was fine I think. So, a wife driving a husband's car should be fine, but of course things are getting worse with time.

Another time my mom and I drove a rental car from NYC to Montreal and we were questioned more about the car then, but not too much. Of course, in this case the rental was in my name.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.