Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New TSA Screening - Food & Electronics Bigger than Cellphones out of Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA Screening - Food & Electronics Bigger than Cellphones out of Bags

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not overly surprised to see it in the US. This is commonplace in Europe and Asia (at least in my experiences) and from time to time I forget and get sucked into secondary screening for failing to remove my iPad in Europe (the UK/LHR in particular are very strict on this)
Old May 22, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
No. Precheck members are unaffected. This simply means that larger electronics (like tablets) will now in select airports be treated as laptops. And as PC doesn't require you to remove laptops, there shouldn't be any issues that come out of this.
I had to remove my iPad a few months ago at BMI. There's only one line but I had "Precheck light" treatment otherwise.

I'm not positive, but I think I had the same experience at SAF last year.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:31 pm

Swabbed the laptop @ SLC

This morning @ SLC they swapped my laptop and tablet going thru precheck
Old May 22, 2017, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This is not a DL specific topic so I am moving this discussion over to TS/S.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old May 23, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Saj8986
Searched the forum and didn't see anything on this....

Going through PDX today and they had to remove my iPad from my bag and scan separately. I asked when this started and TSA said a week ago....which is not accurate as I flew home from SLC Thursday.

Anyone else had this happen?
Absolutely standard at Heathrow, and always has been.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seabilly
Yeah, had to take "all electronics larger than a cell phone" out of my carry on leaving LAS a few weeks ago. TSA claimed it was something new but the young man pushing my wheelchair said it had been going on for months. Regular line, not TSA precheck.

Interesting--we flew out of LAS on the 9th, normal procedures. We got pre-check on our boarding passes, though. (Neither of us is signed up for it, we are generally 1/year travelers.)
Old May 23, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Interesting--we flew out of LAS on the 9th, normal procedures. We got pre-check on our boarding passes, though. (Neither of us is signed up for it, we are generally 1/year travelers.)
I had precheck on my ticket but since I was in a wheelchair due to a recent injury they made me go through the regular line. I did get head of the line in the regular line but lost my precheck due to the wheelchair. Not sure if that is a LAS thing or applies everywhere.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:12 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

This merged thread is now in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Per this forum's sticky post, Please Read: Important Information, this is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely with minimal hassle.

Before posting in this thread, please ask yourself: If I were traveling today, is this something that I need to know?”

The Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is NOT the venue to debate the wisdom of the pilot program which requires all electronics larger than cellphones to be removed from bags for screening or the manner in which it is carried out.

Please reserve your commentary and opinions of the TSA screening policies and practices for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; May 23, 2017 at 8:29 am Reason: Clarify
Old May 23, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: DL: PM, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are people being forced to remove iPads in the PreCheck lanes for TSA security?
I was not forced to remove my laptop or 2 iPad's at PreCheck at MCO this morning.

Originally Posted by comptr
Has anyone carried on camera equipment, does it need to be removed into a separate bin or is it like before where it can stay in the bag ?
On the same pass referenced above at MCO this morning, I had a backpack full of multiple DSLR's and associated lenses and other accessories. Absolutely no issue at all in PreCheck line.

Last edited by donsullivan; May 23, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old May 23, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Originally Posted by donsullivan
I was not forced to remove my laptop or 2 iPad's at PreCheck at MCO this morning.

On the same pass referenced above at MCO this morning, I had a backpack full of multiple DSLR's and associated lenses and other accessories. Absolutely no issue at all in PreCheck line.
Thank you, I am going to MCO this week, so I guess I won't need to take out my camera gear at the airport then.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Gold
Apparently this is a pilot program soon to come into effect:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/get-rea...ity-1495640411

You may have to completely unpack your carryon depending on what you have in it.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Reminder!
Originally Posted by TWA884
Folks,

This merged thread is now in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Per this forum's sticky post, Please Read: Important Information, this is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely with minimal hassle.

Before posting in this thread, please ask yourself: If I were traveling today, is this something that I need to know?”

The Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is NOT the venue to debate the wisdom of the pilot program which requires all electronics larger than cellphones to be removed from bags for screening or the manner in which it is carried out.

Please reserve your commentary and opinions of the TSA screening policies and practices for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
This is an informational, not a debate, forum.

Please save your rants, arguments, opinions and commentaries for the Policy Debate forum.

There is an active thread there discussing the pilot program of having all electronic larger than cellphones *and food) removed from bags for screening:
Additional posts have been deleted.

Repeat offenders will lose their posting privileges for a minimum of seven days.

Please consider this to be your one and only warning!

TWA884
Old May 24, 2017, 11:55 pm

According to NBC News, the new TSA screening pilot program is in effect at the following airports: Boise, Colorado Springs, Detroit, Ft. Lauderdale, Boston, Los Angeles, Lubbock, San Juan, Las Vegas and Phoenix. Passengers with TSA PreCheck are not affected.

Last edited by TWA884; May 25, 2017 at 9:28 am Reason: Typo
Old May 25, 2017, 7:55 am

New TSA screening for carry-on?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tsa-quie...carry-on-bags/

Granted, I have pre-check, but sounds like it'll slow down the other line (not all airports have pre-check and the rules change at random it seems even if you DO have pre-check).

Anyone been through the airports yet that they're trying this on?
Old May 25, 2017, 8:57 am

I saw earlier in the thread that ROC was participating in this <deleted>... Can someone confirm if they're still doing it? I'm passing through there in 2 weeks and usually do come back with a substantial amount of food I pick up from Canada before heading back to Florida.

Last edited by TWA884; May 25, 2017 at 9:42 am Reason: Policy Debate/commentary, not Practical Travel Safety/Security advice/information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.