Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is it legal for a US citizen to put US passport inside an EU nation passport cover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it legal for a US citizen to put US passport inside an EU nation passport cover?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Is it illegal for a US citizen to put his/her US passport in a French passport cover?

Is it illegal for a US citizen to put his/her US passport in a French passport cover?

I was browsing for a new passport cover and saw this on Amazon. The seller even has Mexican, Italian, German, British, Canadian, and others....
Amazon.com: France Passport Cover Genuine Leather Passport Holder Travel Wallet REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE (Burgundy): Clothing Amazon.com: France Passport Cover Genuine Leather Passport Holder Travel Wallet REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE (Burgundy): Clothing
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I can't imagine why it would be. Most immigration officials ask to see the passport removed from any cover or holder, but to eliminate the potential for confusion, you'd want to always take it out before showing it at check-in, the gate or borders.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Illegal? I don't see why it would be. (IANAL)

Is it a smart thing to do? No. You could confuse border agents, and you don't want to get off on the wrong foot with border agents. At best they'll give you some extra scrutiny, in the worst case they'll think you were deliberately trying to deceive them.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:28 pm

… can't you just take the passport out when handing it to a government official? I don't see why this is an issue.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:49 pm

AFAIK, it wouldn't be illegal unless you were trying to deceive, which... given those don't look remotely like a French passport. They're the wrong colour for an EU passport, the typeface of "passport" is wrong, and the coat of arms... well, what even is that in the middle?

The item is clearly not a French passport, and doesn't even have the right colour to be seen as an EU passport at a glance. You normally present your passport open, as well. Since it's so obviously a wallet, not an attempt at fraud, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind trying to cause trouble over it.

Personally, I still suggest taking it out - it's much easier for them to handle your passport with no covers.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by AllieKat
I can't imagine anyone in their right mind trying to cause trouble over it.
Agreed, but I don't necessarily assume passport checkers (whether TSA or border patrol) to be reasonable people. The vast majority of them are fine, but I've met specimens that don't quite fit the definition of 'in their right mind'

Basically, if you go this route, I fully support taking off the cover when you hand it over to anyone with any authority.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There was a time when I would drive over European borders showing only the cover of my (USA) passport.

Now I often close the passport but keep it in hand with the cover deliberately visible when I go through foreign customs.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I swear the only people who use passport covers are people that don't fly a lot. Just my observation.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by alphaod
I swear the only people who use passport covers are people that don't fly a lot. Just my observation.
We travel quite a bit and have passport covers. You forgot the one driving consideration.......my wife likes the covers.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:08 pm

Back in the day when hijackings were all the rage, I carried my passport in a Soviet passport cover one of my brothers picked up in Moscow. I figured it would have the hijackers scratching their heads long enough for me to work on the over-wing exit.

But I always took my passport out of the cover when I hit a customs desk.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AllieKat
AFAIK, it wouldn't be illegal unless you were trying to deceive, which... given those don't look remotely like a French passport. They're the wrong colour for an EU passport, the typeface of "passport" is wrong, and the coat of arms... well, what even is that in the middle?

The item is clearly not a French passport, and doesn't even have the right colour to be seen as an EU passport at a glance. You normally present your passport open, as well. Since it's so obviously a wallet, not an attempt at fraud, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind trying to cause trouble over it.

Personally, I still suggest taking it out - it's much easier for them to handle your passport with no covers.
Are French passports still issued? I though everyone had European passports by now. Or are diplomatic and official passports an exception?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:17 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are French passports still issued? I though everyone had European passports by now. Or are diplomatic and official passports an exception?
There's no such thing as a European passport. EU countries simply put the words "European Union" on their passports, and use the same color.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:55 pm
Suspended

I do something similar all the time. I use a leather passport cover of another country in the hopes that if there is a hijacking (rare now, bombs are more common), I would be released. I think a French cover wouldn't help. Countries that may help are Japan, India, South Africa, Brazil, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
I keep my passport in a cover that is not my nationality but I always remove it from cover and hand it to border control with relevant pages open. More often than not they ignore this assistance and close passport and then struggle to find relevant visas. I just help them again. There is nothing to gain (and things to lose) by confusing them... just remove it from cover beforehand. But I agree a cover aids passport longevity...
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some countries will grant different visa requirements/ visa free statuses for different countries within the EU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.