Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is it legal for a US citizen to put US passport inside an EU nation passport cover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it legal for a US citizen to put US passport inside an EU nation passport cover?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by standard
I do something similar all the time. I use a leather passport cover of another country in the hopes that if there is a hijacking (rare now, bombs are more common), I would be released. I think a French cover wouldn't help. Countries that may help are Japan, India, South Africa, Brazil, etc.
Are you expecting to be hijacked by extremely stupid terrorists?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cbn42
There's no such thing as a European passport. EU countries simply put the words "European Union" on their passports, and use the same color.
There is an EU passport of sort but it's like the UN's laissez-passer and goes by that name despite functioning largely like a passport for a select set of EU officials working for the EC at least. These EU international travel docs are in some ways better and in some ways worse than passports issued by some EU nation-states.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you expecting to be hijacked by extremely stupid terrorists?
Being hijacked by stupid terrorists has happened before.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:34 pm

With regards to the legality issue, I am no lawyer, but I would assume that if there is no illegal intent -- as in, you are not trying to mislead anyone that you are a French citizen -- then simply remove the cover when you go through immigration, and you can keep it on normally with no issues.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I thought it was well understood that the passport should be handed to the passport control officer absent the passport cover.

Some passport control officers won't care, some will go through the drama of removing the cover, and some will abuse the traveler.

Why seek conflict?

By all means, carry your passport in a cover of another country. Sealand seems perfect. But remove it before handing to anyone that needs to scan the passport in a machine.

Originally Posted by alphaod
I swear the only people who use passport covers are people that don't fly a lot. Just my observation.
I use them to reduce the chance of damage to my passport. If my passport has any damage, I won't be able to renew it.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
I use them to reduce the chance of damage to my passport. If my passport has any damage, I won't be able to renew it.
How so? I have heard of passports not being valid anymore given too much damage but never not being able to be renewed.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CX HK
How so? I have heard of passports not being valid anymore given too much damage but never not being able to be renewed.
Some countries have a separate renewal application that applies for non-damaged passports and/or passports that aren't expired by "too long". Otherwise it's an application as if "new".
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by weltfrieden
Is it illegal for a US citizen to put his/her US passport in a French passport cover?

I was browsing for a new passport cover and saw this on Amazon. The seller even has Mexican, Italian, German, British, Canadian, and others....
Amazon.com: France Passport Cover Genuine Leather Passport Holder Travel Wallet REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE (Burgundy): Clothing
Customs officer will open your passport to the ID page since no custom officer is that mentally impaired (although there are some fine specimen out there) so as to believe what the cover says. And what is the difference between having French passport cover and one of those shine-bright-like-a-diamond Victoria Secret passport cover? Maybe they will think you are not as good looking as a VS model and that will rise suspicion of your identity? My sister has one of those and she has never took the passport out of its cover for the sake of a customs officer.

Of course if there is strict announcement to have the passport taken out of its cover, then do so. Otherwise, I wouldn't stress out about it at all.

Safe travels!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Slobodansm
Customs officer will open your passport to the ID page since no custom officer is that mentally impaired (although there are some fine specimen out there) so as to believe what the cover says.
Actually some Schengen Zone customs agents merely wave people with EU passports through (at least they used to) -- certainly, one could get lucky and get through.

The hope is that now security and scrutiny have been stepped up a little.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:22 am
Suspended

The customs agents are not interested in your passport, and won't see it (or its cover) unless you are selected for a search.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:40 pm

Is it legal for a US citizen to put US passport inside an EU nation passport cover? When I say "legal" I mean when the person forgets to take off the cover when standing at the CBP counter at port of entry.

Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Italy-Genuine-Leather-Passport-Cover-Holder-Protector-Europe-Union-New/331799552552?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dcb53c3dc64df461bb5e0ece3b7b64fa4%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D122313561116
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Illegal? Probably not. But when the CBP agent notices something is off, they will certainly start asking unnecessary questions and get suspicious that you might be trying to hide something.

I would suggest not using one at all, or get the correct US cover. Not worth the headache.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
I swear the only people who use passport covers are people that don't fly a lot. Just my observation.
My frequent travels is the reason that I am looking for a passport cover (or something to protect the outside of my passport from wear and tear). Any recommendations for this? Especially when hotel staff, etc. can be rough with passports.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:29 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by guflyer
My frequent travels is the reason that I am looking for a passport cover (or something to protect the outside of my passport from wear and tear). Any recommendations for this? Especially when hotel staff, etc. can be rough with passports.
In my experience, most Immigration agents ask you to remove the passport from the passport holder. I'd expect that doing that repeatedly actually causes more wear and tear than a hotel employee. But I ask this out of genuine curiosity: What have hotel staff done to your passport that is rough? All I ever see is the employee open it up to the info page and perhaps copy down the info. No one's ever thrown it on the floor and then stepped on it, or crinkled it into a ball, or thrown it back at me. I suspect it may endure more wear and tear in your pocket, purse or briefcase, in which case a plastic bag might offer all the protection it needs.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ShutteLag
Is it legal for a US citizen to put US passport inside an EU nation passport cover? When I say "legal" I mean when the person forgets to take off the cover when standing at the CBP counter at port of entry.

Example:
Italian Italy Genuine Leather Passport Cover Holder Protector Europe Union New eBay
No one will care about whatever blingy raincoat you care to dress your passport up in.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by chucko
Back in the day when hijackings were all the rage, I carried my passport in a Soviet passport cover one of my brothers picked up in Moscow. I figured it would have the hijackers scratching their heads long enough for me to work on the over-wing exit.

But I always took my passport out of the cover when I hit a customs desk.
Same here, but not a Soviet passport cover. Now terrorist blow up planes. I had a Brazilian one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.