Community
Wiki Posts
Search

traveling with spools of wire

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

traveling with spools of wire

I am taking some jewelry making supplies with me on an upcoming trip, primarily spools of wire (along with the plastic doo-hicky and hook I use to knit them with). I can imagine that spools of wire might look suspicious to security personnel - I'm wondering if I should pack it in my checked luggage, or take it with me in my carry on. I don't actually need it on the plane, but I wonder if it might be easier to show and tell what it is to the security folk that way?

Thoughts (other than "don't take it")?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta, United
If you are checking a bag put it in there and if possible with something from the mfg that would state jewelry wire so if your bag does get opened there is some chance that they might read it and not toss it.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Once or twice a year my brother travels with a checked bag of tools and cable like Cat Wire. Never had a problem although it almost always has been inspected by tsa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.