Electronics Banned in Cabin on Flights to US from 8 ME and North African Countries

Subscribe
Lucky posts that there will be a widespread in-flight electronics ban on flights to the U.S. from 13 countries. Cell phones and medically necessary devices are exempted. This means laptops, tablets cameras, etc. will have to be checked.

What a mess that's going to be.

Source: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ectronics-ban/
Carry On Electronics Ban from Middle East to US
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ectronics-ban/

Lucky from One Mile at a time got an e-mail from Royal Jordanian telling him from March 21 onwards, only mobile phones and required electronic medical devices would be allowed in carryon for flights to and from the US. Laptops, cameras, dvd players must be checked.

I remember right after 9/11 when the only thing you could bring on the plane was what fit into a clear plastic bag. I think that took a a week to get sorted.
That wasn't after 9/11 but rather, after the 2006 liquid explosive plot. After the 3/1/1 rules were in place they allowed carry ons again.
<deleted>

The ban begins Tuesday for RJ flights to DTW, JFK, ORD, and YUL. Montreal because it enters US airspace? AMM-YUL would seem to get far closer to Maine on the great circle/global arc route than a theoretical AMM-YYZ.
I was in London on 9/11. First planes were grounded, then when planes flew again pax were given extra large clear plastic bags they could put their personal effects in, but everything else had to be checked, including laptops. My flight was supposed to have left LHR on 14 September back to the US, but there was such a backlog of pax from the days grounded that I didn't leave for another 7 days. Pax who left those first days had the baggies. By the time I finally left, the carryon issue was sorted.

<deleted>
I often connect in DXB arriving on flydubai and in a separate ticket catch Emirates to US.

How will they enforce such airside transfers on completely separate tickets. It will be good if people​ can provide data points on how the enforcement of this is.
Quote: How will they enforce such airside transfers on completely separate tickets. It will be good if people​ can provide data points on how the enforcement of this is.
I presume the helpful gate agents/security will take any electronics on your person.

According to TPG...
Quote:
As this will affect American Airlines codeshare flights operated by Royal Jordanian, we checked with AA to see if it has any more information regarding the ban. An AA spokesperson noted that the airline is still working to gather information, however, it’s “been told this does not apply to any flights operated by American Airlines.”
So U.S. airlines are exempt from this rule? Hmm...
One reporter is tweeting that the ban applies for the next 96 hours. I wonder whether it'll be extended/the parameters more clearly defined.

Edit: Newer reports seem to indicate the ban is indefinite.
I was flying a carrier internationally from Europe back to the US within 7 days of 9/11 -- despite that not being part of my plans before 9/11, a day on which I too was flying a US carrier. I thought I had my laptop and cell phone in my normal carryon bag on that post-9/11 September 2011 flight since I didn't check in luggage on that trip and didn't wait at the baggage carousel at JFK; but I'll have to try to check my records to revalidate that. The most restrictive carry-on restrictions I've ever faced flying to the US was when in an almost surreal move the US banned even lap children from flying into the US, and that was along with a ban on just about all carry-ons. This was years after 9/11. This electronics prohibition seems generous in comparison.
Which 13 countries? Can't see a list of countries anywhere.

And wait a minute....aren't lithium batteries banned from checked luggage? But don't tablets and cameras have lithium batteries?
Quote: Which 13 countries? Can't see a list of countries anywhere.
SOnly Royal Jordanian, but who knows if that counts. The RJ Montreal thing is perhaps due to YUL-DTW? RJ has been known to play online troll via Twitter, but this time?

Saudia seems to be on the same page as RJ:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...s-13-countries
Unless there is evidence of some specific threat to which this is a response, this strikes me as open to legal challenge as being arbitrary and capricious, which is one standard for overturning an administrative action. I cannot think of a good reason for it and it seems designed to be punitive toward the airlines of countries that are not favored by the current administration. Moreover, if this is some kind of security action, it seems to be one that is easily circumvented by flying through a nation not subject to the ban.
I wonder if this is grounds to get a refund from the airline and then re-route or choose another airline if you're not inclined to check your laptop.
Quote: Lucky posts that there will be a widespread in-flight electronics ban on flights to the U.S. from 13 countries. Cell phones and medically necessary devices are exempted. This means laptops, tablets cameras, etc. will have to be checked.

What a mess that's going to be.

Source: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ectronics-ban/
I have this vague recollection of some (most? all?) airlines expressly indemnifying themselves for the loss, damage, theft, etc. of, among other things, any electronics packed in checked bags. Wonder how that will be addressed....
Saw another news source that US Airlines aren't subject to this restriction because no US carrier flies to some unknown / suspect city.

Quote: I have this vague recollection of some (most? all?) airlines expressly indemnifying themselves for the loss, damage, theft, etc. of, among other things, any electronics packed in checked bags. Wonder how that will be addressed....
Doubt it has ... glad I'm not traveling right now.