Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electronics Banned in Cabin on Flights to US from 8 ME and North African Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/19: Electronics ban over! Saudia lifts ban.
https://twitter.com/Saudi_Airlines/status/887588098464415744/photo/1
7/12: Royal Air Maroc lifts ban starting 7/13.
https://twitter.com/RAM_Maroc/status/885068591909011459/photo/1
EgyptAir ban also lifted.
https://twitter.com/EGYPTAIR/status/885052169233330176/photo/1
7/9: Royal Jordanian & Kuwait Airways lift ban.
https://twitter.com/RoyalJordanian/status/884063505397288960/photo/1
https://twitter.com/KuwaitAirways/status/884080142913593344
7/5: Emirates & Qatar lifts ban.
https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/travel-updates.aspx#/#4086177
http://www.qatarairways.com/us/en/travel-alerts.page?CID=AFALL0204026300000000000
7/4: Turkish lifts electronics ban.
https://twitter.com/TurkishAirlines/status/882343356143161344/
7/2: Etihad lifts electronics ban.
http://www.etihad.com/en/announcements/usa-flights-electronic-device-ban/

6/28: "DHS said the 10 airports where US-bound passengers are currently required to place large PEDs in checked baggage—the so-called laptop ban—can have those PED restrictions lifted if the airports comply with the enhanced security measures being required by the US."

Source: http://atwonline.com/security/all-us...y-requirements

As per mods: No political talk! Political discussions are permitted over in Omni-PR linked below.

Real life experiences with the ban:
Emirates 1
Qatar 1

Official info from U.S. DHS.
Source: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/...rture-airports
The aviation security enhancements will include requiring that all personal electronic devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone be placed in checked baggage at 10 airports where flights are departing for the United States.

These enhancements apply to 10 specific airports. The affected overseas airports are: Queen Alia International Airport (AMM), Cairo International Airport (CAI), Ataturk International Airport (IST), King Abdul-Aziz International Airport (JED), King Khalid International Airport (RUH), Kuwait International Airport (KWI), Mohammed V Airport (CMN), Hamad International Airport (DOH), Dubai International Airport (DXB), and Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH).

There is no impact on domestic flights in the United States or flights departing the United States. Electronic devices will continue to be allowed on all flights originating in the United States.
Emirates passengers flying to US directly from Dubai:
Source: https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-introduces-laptop-and-tablet-handling-service-for-us-flights
Emirates customers travelling to the US via Dubai will be able to utilise their laptops and tablet devices on the first part of their journeys, and also during transit in Dubai. They must then declare and hand over their laptops, tablets, and other banned electronic devices to security staff at the gate just before boarding their US-bound flight. The devices will be carefully packed into boxes, loaded into the aircraft hold, and returned to the customer at their US destination. There will not be any charge for this service.

Passengers on US-bound flights starting their journeys in Dubai are encouraged to pack their electronic devices into their check-in luggage in the first instance, to avoid delays.

Customers should be aware that there will be a detailed search of all hand baggage on non-stop flights to the US from Dubai. They should therefore declare their devices before the search, or ensure their electronic devices are packed into their check-in luggage in the first instance.
Other threads on this topic:
Thread on this subject in TSS-Debate Forum

Thread on this subject in Omni-PR

Thread on similar UK ban, in TSS-Practical forum
Print Wikipost

Electronics Banned in Cabin on Flights to US from 8 ME and North African Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

This is the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Per the forum sticky thread, Please Read: Important Information, this is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely with minimal hassle.

Before posting in this thread, please ask yourself: If I were traveling today, is this something that I need to know?”

This forum is NOT the place to debate why this electronics ban was implemented. The venue for such discussions is the Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries thread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been moved over. Future posts debating the electronics ban will summarily deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi there,

My experience on QR was pretty smooth. (24th) Checked in at DXB. It was the first
day of the ban but I asked them if I need to check-in my laptop (not knowing what
would happen in DOH). They said YES to it so I checked in. Realized that in DOH they
were just checking the laptop but not separating or putting in baggage hold. (So I could
have actually kept the laptop with me all the time) My laptop was fine in the checked baggage in BOS...

Biggest concern for laptop theft IMHO is not in DXB or DOH but in JFK or MIA ! Also certain other countries are prone to baggage thefts. ME airlines should have transit
checkin facility....
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:27 am

Flying to Africa via Doha

In May I am flying from US to Kigali, Rwanda (Africa) via Doha on Qatar. This is a once in a lifetime photographic trip to see gorillas, and am taking laptop, two camera bodies and three lenses, all which require checking into checked baggage. Have made several calls to Qatar. First call said I had to check everything, even from US to Doha. A second call agent said no, only required checking the baggage from Africa to US.

Today, I am personally going to the airport counter, a good 2 months from departure (a big hassle for me) to see for myself. Qatar has commercial packaging machines in place in Doha with packing wrap and bubble wrap.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pepsi38
In May I am flying from US to Kigali, Rwanda (Africa) via Doha on Qatar. This is a once in a lifetime photographic trip to see gorillas, and am taking laptop, two camera bodies and three lenses, all which require checking into checked baggage. Have made several calls to Qatar. First call said I had to check everything, even from US to Doha. A second call agent said no, only required checking the baggage from Africa to US.

Today, I am personally going to the airport counter, a good 2 months from departure (a big hassle for me) to see for myself. Qatar has commercial packaging machines in place in Doha with packing wrap and bubble wrap.
From the US to Doha at least, it's the same rules for electronics now as it was at this time last year when it comes to what is allowed in the passenger cabin.

From Doha to Kigali, I don't recall encountering any word on new screening rules.

For the trip from DOH to the US, the rules are no electronics allowed other than a phone/smartphone. Anything else or anything bigger in terms of electronics and it's supposed to be checked in either at Kigali or at Doha for your trip back to the US.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
From the US to Doha at least, it's the same rules for electronics now as it was at this time last year when it comes to what is allowed in the passenger cabin.

From Doha to Kigali, I don't recall encountering any word on new screening rules.

For the trip from DOH to the US, the rules are no electronics allowed other than a phone/smartphone. Anything else or anything bigger in terms of electronics and it's supposed to be checked in either at Kigali or at Doha for your trip back to the US.
GUWonder is spot on. Also keep in mind... you are flying more than 2 months from now. The rules could change or disappear by then. Right now, QR is not waiving fees or offering refunds without fees. I think a trip to the airport now is a waste of time, but to each his own.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: gate lice
A friend who flew DOH-PHL yesterday said that all passengers were required to check their headphones at the gate, albeit a few U.S. citizens refused to do so and were allowed to board anyway (with their headphones).

This is ridiculous.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver

As others have said not worthwhile going to the airport as the rules are evolving. Outward you will have no issues and can carry on all your camera gear. As things stand you'll have to check in your gear for the return but you lenses are not considered electronic goods (unless the rules change again). I am in the same situation and have, for weight issues had to check in some of my camera gear including in Kigali.
My suggestion is to take a good hard case with you, empty on the way out, but full of bubble wrap (not available in Kigali). You can then safely pack all your gear for the return. Make sure you have all your images backed up at least twice on small external hard drives which you should be allowed on board. Also, make sure you have a homeowners rider on your camera gear - mine is covered for damage and loss even in the hold of a plane.

Most of all, have a great time. Gorilla viewing is a lifetime experience.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Enthilza
This has probably been answered already but I couldn't find anything in this thread or on the web: does the ban apply to noise-cancelling headsets?

I don't think it does, but has anyone who travelled in the last few days noticed anything about this?
My VP was flying back from India through Dubai on Etihad and he was forced to check his headset in Dubai. Not sure if it safely made it to the US.

Ship it. MUCH safer.

Originally Posted by vg247
This is very unfortunate for business travelers and the countries affected.

What are some suggestions, if any on how to deter/mitigate our electronics gear with sensitive data from being stolen from checked bags?

To me this ban is telling thieves at airports, all the high value electronic goodies' with sensitive data are in checked bags "come get them there"
You shouldn't be carrying sensitive data across the border anyway, especially coming in to the US. That being said, ship it via FedEx.

I will assume that no changes have been made to the carriers baggage policies. On the one hand we have to check electronics, and on the other hand if it gets stolen they're all like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 28, 2017 at 3:17 pm Reason: Merge 4 consecutive posts
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs!
Etihad now offers loaner iPads and free WiFi for business and first pax on U.S. bound flights from AUH.

http://www.etihad.com/en-ae/info/us-free-wifi/
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by oopl
Etihad now offers loaner iPads and free WiFi for business and first pax on U.S. bound flights from AUH.

http://www.etihad.com/en-ae/info/us-free-wifi/
While I appreciate the effort with the loaner iPads, without your content (books/movies/files), it is a good way to surf the net, but, that is about it.

What this really says... bookings (as expected) have been hit very hard. If the ban continues, look for some great deals coming up.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:30 pm

External Hard Drives?

I was out of the country when this ban came about. I'm a dual resident - US/Australia and am flying BNE-AUH-JFK via Etihad on April 3rd. I'm leaving my laptop behind (have a duplicate in the US), and having to pack my iPad mini (cannot believe this). My biggest question is whether or not my Toshiba Canvio external hard drive (3in x 4.25in x .5in) will pass muster. I've backed up all my laptop data on it and will then reinstall on the US machine.

As a comparison, the iPhone 7 is 5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in. The hard drive just doesn't "present" as a phone on the x-ray machines because it's a little squarer.

If the ban is "all but cellphones", then I'm crook. But if it is "nothing larger than a cellphone" this little hard drive will get through.

I'm desperately looking for someone who has gotten a small hard drive through security. It's USB-powered, so no external power pack or cord. Just the USB cable.

If I have to buy back-up space on something like Carbonite, I will, but I prefer to carry the drive with me. No top-secret stuff - but it's tax time, and I have a lot of photographs.

Any current info from travelers???

Sukie in Oz
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Is Canada on the ban list?

I live in the US and am flying BEY>DOH>DFW soon.
If Canada is not on the electronic ban list then perhaps routing to Toronto or Vancouver from the ME airports would be an option so as not to have to check laptops,cameras,etc.
Just a thought.
Has anyone tried to do this?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
I live in the US and am flying BEY>DOH>DFW soon.
If Canada is not on the electronic ban list then perhaps routing to Toronto or Vancouver from the ME airports would be an option so as not to have to check laptops,cameras,etc.
Just a thought.
Has anyone tried to do this?
Canada has no ban. (yet)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:54 am

In May I am flying from US to Kigali, Rwanda (Africa) via Doha on Qatar. This is a once in a lifetime photographic trip to see gorillas, and am taking laptop, two camera bodies and three lenses, all which require checking into checked baggage.
Why place the lenses in checked baggage (size?)? I thought they were allowed in carry-on bags.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by chucko
Why place the lenses in checked baggage (size?)? I thought they were allowed in carry-on bags.
On the way out, yes, carry-on. On the way back, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.