Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Passport legal name change (citizenship change)

Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Has anyone had experience getting a plane ticket name change because their citizenship (and legal name) changed?

My boyfriend and I would like to plan a trip to Europe in the fall (so I've been keeping my eyes peeled for good deals), but it's possible that he will become a US citizen in August. That also means that his legal name could change before the trip, because he requested it on his application, and I think he would have to get a new US passport to travel internationally as a US citizen--so holding off on the new passport until after the trip would not be an option (he would maybe be better off rescheduling his oath ceremony if it came down to it).

Is this type of plane ticket name change free of charge? Or does it really just depend on the airline? Should we expect this to be a big issue? Any recommendations?

I'm not sure that it's relevant here, but his country of origin does not pose any other risks/threats to international travel under the Trump administration.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I do not know the answers to your question about name changes for airline tickets.

I do know that one can get a passport issued on an expedited basis if your travel is less than 2 weeks away. A few months ago, I had such a situation, went in to the passport office in the morning and picked up the new one in the afternoon.

I would guess that if you have proper documentation - new passport with new name, old passport for his nation of origin with original name - the airline could change the ticket name. And yes, US citizens are supposed to enter and leave the US on their US passports.

With all the stories of delay and mistreatment of foreign nationals at US ports of entry, I think I would not delay or reschedule the citizenship oath. Re-entering as a US citizen is probably easier.

Good luck!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by hh1021
Has anyone had experience getting a plane ticket name change because their citizenship (and legal name) changed?

Is this type of plane ticket name change free of charge? Or does it really just depend on the airline? Should we expect this to be a big issue? Any recommendations?
I was able to change my name on my Air Canada ticket the day before travel after a legal name change. I called AC, waited on hold for an hour, and they initiated a ticket and told me to fax in the relevant supporting documents. I faxed the name change certificate, copy of ID, and a letter outlining old and new names and flight info. The rep told me the department prioritizes its workload based on urgency, so in my case the change was made in just hours. Obviously better to send it in earlier rather than later though and it may depend on the airline.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:52 am

Any update?

I am having same issue with the name change. Would you update the results? Do airline charge for name change?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:06 pm

Curious about this since I'm in the same situation myself. Any updates?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:59 am

I don't see any problem.

As long as you do not change your name, you will just provide the new passport information at online or on-site check in.

If you change your name, you will have to contact the OTA / Airline and explain, and probably pay some sort of change fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.