Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Undocumented immigrant with a valid state ID

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by catocony
TSA has zero ability to deny someone based on immigration status. None whatsoever.
True, but they have always been able to refer someone to law enforcement if they discover an issue outside of their jurisdiction. Immigration is no exception to this.

Originally Posted by JoeBas
Given the recent internal CBP reports of the last couple of weeks, and stepped up enforcement, were I here illegally I would not take the chance myself.
What internal CBP reports? Also, I fail to see how CBP is at all relevant here, their concern is people trying to enter the country, not people already in the country. Aside from a few exceptions, like internal checkpoints along the Mexican border, someone not crossing a border is unlikely to have any contact with them.

Last edited by Kumulani; Mar 7, 2017 at 8:15 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Medel88
Hello i been reading a few posts on the site about undocumented people flying domestically and i havent get a clear answer to my situation.
i live in california and i dont have a legal status in the us for the past 13 years. I been doing good at work that my boss wants me to go to school in wiscounsin for a week. And my big question is would my california AB60 drivers license and mexican passport be enought for this flight, from fresno ca to wiscounsin?
https://www.aclusandiego.org/ab-60-d...icense-rights/
Don’t use an AB 60 license to pass through TSA at an airport, use another form of identification, like a passport;
Without a recent CBP entry stamp in your passport it would be foolish to attempt this. The advice you are getting here to attempt this is terrible.

Evaluate the up side: brownie point at work.

The down side: the TSA summons the CBP to the check point and you are arrested and detailed.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I concur with those saying it's a big risk

especially right now - the climate is harsher than it's been . I'd also agree with Amtrak or Greyhound being somewhat safer options but still a risk .
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - There is plain and simple a lot of bad advice here. Whatever has been acceptable in the past may or may not work going forward.

It is true that TSA has no immigration authority, but a TSA Officer may certainly summon a CBP Agent or Officer and many state or local law enforcement officers may be able to act in the place of a CBP Officer.

None of this is meant to frighten OP. It is just meant to be a dose of reality that he needs to get solid legal advice locally about what is and is not acceptable because telling him that he will not have a law enforcement encounter at a TSA checkpoint is just plain wrong.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:52 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Kumulani
True, but they have always been able to refer someone to law enforcement if they discover an issue outside of their jurisdiction. Immigration is no exception to this.

What internal CBP reports? Also, I fail to see how CBP is at all relevant here, their concern is people trying to enter the country, not people already in the country. Aside from a few exceptions, like internal checkpoints along the Mexican border, someone not crossing a border is unlikely to have any contact with them.
While I do not believe Fresno is a location where this normally happens, CBP (and sometimes Border Patrol or ICE) stands right next to the TSA ID checker and if someone presents a foreign ID they (the DHS folks) start questioning the person travelling and do haul people away sometimes. I have personally recently seen it at ELP, Laredo, McAllen, and Brownsville, plus heard stories of it at BUF and SAN to name a few. Sorry for the tangent.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
While I do not believe Fresno is a location where this normally happens, CBP (and sometimes Border Patrol or ICE) stands right next to the TSA ID checker and if someone presents a foreign ID they (the DHS folks) start questioning the person travelling and do haul people away sometimes. I have personally recently seen it at ELP, Laredo, McAllen, and Brownsville, plus heard stories of it at BUF and SAN to name a few. Sorry for the tangent.
Fresno just has FIS open a few hours a day in the evenings/nights to process a couple of flights from Mexico. I don't think there are any CBP personnel there during most of the day.

I personally think the risk is very small, no more than getting pulled over while driving. But perhaps driving to an airport without any international flights, such as Bakersfield, might be an option. OP, remember that TSA cannot detain anyone, so if they ask you about your immigration status, you can politely decline to answer and leave.

PS I've never heard of ICE at an airport. Also, is there a distiction between CBP and Border Patrol?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cbn42
PS I've never heard of ICE at an airport. Also, is there a distiction between CBP and Border Patrol?
Border Patrol is a division of the CBP. ICE doesn't normally hang out at airports, but TSA can refer you to them, often using CBP or another law enforcement officer as an intermediary.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:07 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by cbn42
Fresno just has FIS open a few hours a day in the evenings/nights to process a couple of flights from Mexico. I don't think there are any CBP personnel there during most of the day.

I personally think the risk is very small, no more than getting pulled over while driving. But perhaps driving to an airport without any international flights, such as Bakersfield, might be an option. OP, remember that TSA cannot detain anyone, so if they ask you about your immigration status, you can politely decline to answer and leave.

Normally it is Border Patrol standing by the checkpoints, at least in my and others experiences; I have seen both ICE and CBP doing it also, though much less common. Fresno is too far from the border I think for these ops, but I was just bringing it up, as it does happen. At ELP it is nearly a daily occurrence. Sadly, I even saw one BP guy hassling a Germany soldier (Very large German military presence in ELP and up the road at the German Air Force det at Holloman).
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:49 am

A friend in the same situation who travels a lot for his company has asked a TSA manager the same question and this is what he was told.

TSA is a counterterorrism organization and their main mission is: "Protect the nation's transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce."

They do not check your legal status. As long as you present a valid Foreign passport, Federal or State issued DL or ID that matches the name on your boarding pass.

Even if you forgot your ID you are "ensured freedom of movement", you just have to go through additional screening.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I trust what a TSO says as far as I can throw them and I am pretty strong. What your friend was told is read from a TSA guidebook. TSOs love calling actual police for drugs, forbidden items and yes even overstaying visas. It is far outside their purview but gov't agencies thrive on mission creep. They are after all on the "front lines".
In today's political climate it is riskier and riskier to travel while lacking legal status or proper visa/waiver. TSA & CBP have stepped up their random checks while airside which can be more thorough of documents and questions about travels and then status.

Originally Posted by ybanag
A friend in the same situation who travels a lot for his company has asked a TSA manager the same question and this is what he was told.

TSA is a counterterorrism organization and their main mission is: "Protect the nation's transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce."

They do not check your legal status. As long as you present a valid Foreign passport, Federal or State issued DL or ID that matches the name on your boarding pass.

Even if you forgot your ID you are "ensured freedom of movement", you just have to go through additional screening.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

Just a reminder that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational. People come here to ask questions and receive advice and information to help them travel safely and with minimal hassle.

If you wish to opine, comment or argue about the TSA mission, please do so in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:31 am

Would be nice to know what the OP ended up doing. Hopefully he/she comes back and updates us.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Here at ONT, I have seen people use their Matricula cards as valid ID. Perhaps it was a local decision to accept those cards.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:24 am

Hey

I have a similar problem. I have a CA AB60 license and I知 of course worried about flying with that. However I do have a British passport. My passport is brand new. I got it renewed recently. When I entered the US a few years ago my old passport was stamped! I知 worried the new passport will raise questions with the TSA because it has literally no stamps. No visa. No nothing?????? I知 flying domestically, just not sure of the risks
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
To clarify, no judgements, when you entered the country was it on an ESTA/Tourist visa that has been overstayed or are you here on a legal visa without an overstay?
Either way, with TSA you can claim that your stamp is in your older passport that had to be replaced for whatever reason during your stay. There is always the possibility of TSA calling over a CBP agent which can look this up but as pathetic as it is to say, you're British so that is less than likely to happen.

Originally Posted by M79956
Hey

I have a similar problem. I have a CA AB60 license and I知 of course worried about flying with that. However I do have a British passport. My passport is brand new. I got it renewed recently. When I entered the US a few years ago my old passport was stamped! I知 worried the new passport will raise questions with the TSA because it has literally no stamps. No visa. No nothing?????? I知 flying domestically, just not sure of the risks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.