Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Laptops and shoes in separate bins by themselves"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:47 am
ryw
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium

Normal flyer out of OAK, non precheck, and this is the first time I've heard TSA agents say the shoes part during security. Usually they're fine if I throw my shoes/jacket/liquids bag into one bin but today the guy was literally checking every bin to make sure there were no shoes mixed in with other things. Is this new nationwide? Doesn't make much logical sense to me unless there's some perceived new threat vector.

(I know some stations in snow and mud country ask passengers to put shoes directly on the belt to keep the bins clean but that doesn't seem to be the case here since he was fine if you put your shoes in a separate bin...)
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Once in a while TSA runs a program to check every xth pair of shoes for explosives and you may have hit that day.

Would probably have been easier to simply tell people to put their shoes directly on the belt, but as you've likely seen, a lot of people don't listen.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Laptops are typically solo. Never had that with shoes.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:40 pm
ryw
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
Once in a while TSA runs a program to check every xth pair of shoes for explosives and you may have hit that day.

Would probably have been easier to simply tell people to put their shoes directly on the belt, but as you've likely seen, a lot of people don't listen.
Ah, I suppose that makes sense! I've been used to putting my laptop in a separate bin for years, but this was the first time I've heard of it for shoes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.