Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by hammond
Or should I carry my green card and/or passport.
Whether traveling or not, you are required to always have your Green Card in your possession.
Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act:
Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.
And from the DHS U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website:
If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid Green Card in your possession at all times.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:33 pm

At some airports close to Mexico, there are border patrol checkpoints, like the one in Texas where Juan Antonio Vargas was arrested. The agent stands next to the TSA ID checker, who gives them your ID. For those airports, you should have your green card to prove to them you are here legally.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Gold elite, Amex plat. H Honors
green Card

Originally Posted by hammond
I am an Indian passport holder having a green card. I'm scheduled to go to Boston for a week.
I usually only carry my CA driver's license for domestic travel.
I wanted to confirm that this is enough from an ID perspective. Or should I carry my green card and/or passport.
Correct, as a Canadian Green Card holder I would never try to fly without green card. It is the terms of the green card as mentioned. I also always travel with my passport because I am superstitious and feel safe that there won't be a family emergency in my home country requiring immediate travel.
Go to the USCIS web site and read the terms of your green card. Be sure it has not expired. They are only good for 10 years now.
Good Luck.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel?

Hello - I'm wondering if I should carry my passport or global entry card with me while traveling domestically in the U.S. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

My situation: I'm an American citizen of native American and Mexican descent, i.e., I am brown. Normally I wouldn't think twice about ID necessary for domestic travel, but as this is the first flight I'll be taking in light of non-ban travel bans and the fact that I've been confronted by complete strangers about deportations/walls, etc. over the past few months, I'm worried about being stopped by TSA on my return flight.

Another concern is that if I do take my passport/GE card with me, I'll be questioned about why I'm even carrying them in the first place if I'm only going from LIH -> SEA.

I suspect I'm just being a bit paranoid, but I'd like to get a few other takes on this to see if I've actually got something worry about.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I use my GE/Nexus ID as my general ID as I do not like having something with my address on it given out to random people and lots of people take it. When asked I tell them it's a Federal ID and they accept it no issues.

As for TSA, most of the agents now know about the cards and don't hassle like it was in the beginning. Carrying your passport, to me, is overkill in this situation and opens you to having it stolen or lost.

You're overthinking the being questioned about why you're carrying your passport part. I carry mine whenever I am going anywhere near a border or on a transcon as I don't know if I'll need it for a border crossing I decide to take or a work trip that comes up last minute.

As for the jerks that sling wall comments at you..I'm sorry.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 25, 2017 at 10:17 pm Reason: profanity workaround
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I agree with Yoshi212... There are any number of reasons one might carry a passport, none of which are anyone's business.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by McNandez
Hello - I'm wondering if I should carry my passport or global entry card with me while traveling domestically in the U.S. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

My situation: I'm an American citizen of native American and Mexican descent, i.e., I am brown. Normally I wouldn't think twice about ID necessary for domestic travel, but as this is the first flight I'll be taking in light of non-ban travel bans and the fact that I've been confronted by complete strangers about deportations/walls, etc. over the past few months, I'm worried about being stopped by TSA on my return flight.

Another concern is that if I do take my passport/GE card with me, I'll be questioned about why I'm even carrying them in the first place if I'm only going from LIH -> SEA.

I suspect I'm just being a bit paranoid, but I'd like to get a few other takes on this to see if I've actually got something worry about.
I almost always have a passport on me when traveling -- whether a 30-minute domestic flight or an international flight or when driving outside of the US. I've never had anyone in the government make a stink about showing my passport instead of some other ID if the purpose was to just confirm identity. I use my GE card as ID -- including with regard to the TSA -- and no longer have problems because of that.

If taking your passport and GE card makes you feel more comfortable, do so. I carry my passport just about every time I take a plane. I'd take my passport on your trip. Multiple reasons why, including that when IRROPS are involved, sometimes being rerouted via Canada can make sense .... if only the passport (or NEXUS ID) was available.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Ditto whatever else said. I usually carry my GE card with me even on domestic trips because some TSA agents (particularly at smaller airports) would be bufuddled by DC drivers licenses. That doesn't happen nearly as often anymore, but having a second form is never a bad idea.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't think using your passport will draw any additional attention if you are traveling to/from common international gateways.

When I'm flying internationally from LAX, I usually use my passport as it's already in my hand versus pulling my driver's license out of my wallet. I also see plenty of folks with passports - even though the majority of the flights are domestic.

I don't think you'd have an issue with LIH or SEA. Hey, there are always the occasional posts where people ask if they need a passport for Hawaii :-0
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I nearly always have my passport with me and always have my passport card in my wallet. I use the passport card for ID since it doesn't have my address, and would likely be less hassle to replace than my driver's license. Nobody blinks an eye.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:13 am

I would carry a US Passport Card (not Booklet). It's easier to carry, and, is proof positive that you are a US Citizen.

P.S. Sorry for the hassles you are (potentially) facing.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:28 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I try to use my PP BOOKLET as little as possible if it is lost or stolen it is a hassle to get it replaced.
My NYS DL has my last name and ONLY FN, MI as initials; a few times a TSA agent asked to something with my full FN (a CC was OK); when I showed them my GE card (4 years ago), the agent said that was GOOD, so I've used it ever since.
PS: PP CARDS cost extra (GE cards are free!)
PS(PS): There are threads on FT noting that COSTCO cards have been accepted.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd fall more firmly on the "screw you" side of things. Carry whatever ID you're comfortable with. TSA has no ability to arrest you (they need to call a cop for that) and all they can do is hassle you when you go through security or after. If some TSA person gets an inflated ego and hassles you because of perceived race, demand to speak with a supervisor.

And when strangers make snide comments about walls and deportations, you can tell them that you and your ancestors were in the US long before they and theirs, and walk away.

But if you find yourself in situations where an actual law enforcement officer is demanding to see proof of citizenship (and I"m pretty sure they are generally not allowed to, except in some states that have succumbed to populist urges) then a passport card is probably the easiest thing to carry with you. I carry mine just as a second form of ID, though I never use it.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm also in the minority I guess. A drivers license is fine for domestic travel, I see no reason to carry additional documents, with the corresponding risk of losing them. My passport/GE card are in my safe at home, pulled for international travel.

But I've never had any special attention using my passport for ID on the domestic leg of international travel either.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:31 am

Beginning next year, traveler's from 9 states won't be able to use their drivers license to fly domestically because the licenses will not meet federal standards. They will need their passport to travel domestically in the US. So many will be using passports or such at that time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.