Wiki Posts
Search

TSA and 311 rule

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
TSA and 311 rule

In Miami last week bought 6oz sunscreen oil. Coming home knowing the rules I poured some out so it was 3oz to comply with TSA rules. I did not hide the container but in screening a TSA agent gave me a hard time since container was marked 6oz but it was half empty. They finally let me keep it after discussion but do the rules clarify this. A few years back in Key West had a empty 16oz spray bottle and it confiscated even know it was empty.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
The rule says "These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item."

So the implication is that the size of the container has to be 3.4 ounces or less, not the amount of liquid in it.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're not expected to guess how full it is--that's something that would cause too many arguments. It's the label that counts.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
They shouldn't have confiscated the empty 16oz bottle, which is supposed to be permitted

http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_re...h=water+bottle

But if there is liquid/gel/aerosol content still inside, the container has to be under the size limit.

(Of course I think the whole war on water is useless anyway but that's another matter)
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
They're not expected to guess how full it is--that's something that would cause too many arguments. It's the label that counts.
Except supposedly they're trained to recognize a tennis-ball-sized sno-globe as acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.