Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Forced to relinquish thermos at TSA checkpoint—any recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My wife was connecting and unexpectedly had to pass through a checkpoint. Her thermos was full of coffee, which she did not remember (focused on making the short connection) and the agent demanded she relinquish the thermos itself instead of just dumping it out and giving the empty thermos back, which has been done for me before in this situation. She did not argue as it was T-20m to departure.

Is there any recourse? I doubt it of course but still wondered if anyone knows of a channel that responds to such grievances.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Best course I can think of (assuming this is a larger airport) - exit screening (tell them you will go put it in your car or some other BS, they don't need to know) and go dump it in a bathroom and wash and dry it out. Then, go to a different checkpoint.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Best course I can think of (assuming this is a larger airport) - exit screening (tell them you will go put it in your car or some other BS, they don't need to know) and go dump it in a bathroom and wash and dry it out. Then, go to a different checkpoint.
Read the OP--she didn't have time.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Just file a claim for it. Noting that the TSO refused to allow her empty it and improperly demanded that it be surrendered.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Seems like she did the appropriate thing, given the time constraints. Agree with FUTR - file a claim for it. It was one of those super-fancy imported vacuum sealed thermoses which cost like $50, right?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a "confiscation" of property by TSA and I would suggest using that word when filing a claim. File the claim here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I guess you file a claim. Not likely to be paid.

Needless to say, stay away from the silly stuff such as "confiscation" as your wife clearly had a choice. She is the one who chose to bring liquids to the checkpoint when there was not time to do anything other than "dump" at the checkpoint.

Of greater interest to most here on FT is how did an unexpected checkpoint arise?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Next time just pour the liquid out on the floor, don't recount any airport/TSA rules/laws preventing that.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Super80Fan
Next time just pour the liquid out on the floor, don't recount any airport/TSA rules/laws preventing that.
How soon we forget.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/06...rt-raucus.html
TSA Releases Tape After Woman Says Sippy Cup Caused Airport Raucus
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Often1
Of greater interest to most here on FT is how did an unexpected checkpoint arise?
Most likely she did not expect to be required to go through another security checkpoint to make the connection. Not at all unusual.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Didn't read that one, wonder if it would've ended up differently if she didn't argue, just dumped it out and continued on. <deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 26, 2017 at 3:08 pm Reason: Not practical travel safety/security advice/information
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I've forgotten a full water bottle, I've been denied the possibility to drink or dump the liquid and keep the bottle.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:10 pm
Suspended

I think you can always use the option of keeping the bottle/drinking the liquid but then you would have to exit the checkpoint.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Section 107
Most likely she did not expect to be required to go through another security checkpoint to make the connection. Not at all unusual.
Indeed. It may have been one of those airport setups where one has to go to a different terminal to connect between domestic flights and there is no airside transit.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Sounds like a "confiscation" of property by TSA and I would suggest using that word when filing a claim. File the claim here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims
Helpful; thanks for the link. (Now wait six months. )

Originally Posted by Often1
I guess you file a claim. Not likely to be paid.

Needless to say, stay away from the silly stuff such as "confiscation" as your wife clearly had a choice. She is the one who chose to bring liquids to the checkpoint when there was not time to do anything other than "dump" at the checkpoint.

Originally Posted by Section 107
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Indeed. It may have been one of those airport setups where one has to go to a different terminal to connect between domestic flights and there is no airside transit.
Yes, it was a small airport that she transited, and she did not expect to have a checkpoint to pass through. She had consulted a map beforehand (via google), but it was either inaccurate or something had changed. Then her inbound flight had been delayed, so she was worried about making the connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.