Are ziplock bags still required?

Old May 24, 2017, 2:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
At a German airport ...
Don't German airports give out bags? I very rarely carry liquids in my carry-ons, but I recall bags being available at most European airports. I usually take quite a few of them since I have uses for plastic ziplock bags

The bags given out by LHR are rather poor IMO (but they are larger in size/potential volume than others, so LHR bags are the way to go if you want to carry an extra bottle)

My favourite bags are the ones available at ZRH and in Norwegian airports, thick and strong with an excellent seal. They must be quite expensive, but we've already paid for them with the security charges included in our tickets!

I could start a pictorial guide to ziplock bags available at European airports, but that might be taking it a bit far...
Old May 25, 2017, 9:34 am

Officially, yes... but in practice, not often. Domestically (US), I've not had to take the liquids out in ages. I usually keep them in some silicone bottles and they're usually together, but not always.

Ironically, I was just through LGW last week and they didn't bat an eye at anything. My liquids, laptop and tablet were left in my carry-on without anyone making a fuss.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
At a German airport this weekend, there were some infrequent fliers who had failed to put liquids in their hand luggage into plastic bags. The containers were all small (50ml or 75ml).

The security agent upon checking the luggage informed them that they could only take one container through and the rest had to be thrown away. Is this a usual punishment for not using a bag?!
I have no clue what prompted it, but we were passing security in ZRH and in the line next to us a clearly seething woman had to empty her entire bag of scores if makeup pencils, lipstick, etc. it had to be one hundred items. The agent had handed her a bunch of bags and was making her sort it all by type. I can only assume that words had been spoken and she lost.

Last edited by milepig; May 30, 2017 at 8:42 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: None anymore
I never take my liquids out. I've only been dinged in LHR and they searched my bag. Only other time was in ICN where I had something over 3oz. Otherwise when they ask if I have liquids I say no and nobody is ever the wiser.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
I tend to put the the bigger containers in a separate bag, but leave the small things like eye drops where they are and they don't seem to be bothered.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:59 pm

Hello All,

I found this thread as I'm curious as to whether all or just some airports no longer require ziploc bags.

I flew three times last week - from San Francisco to Dallas, from Dallas to Phoenix, and then from Phoenix back to San Francisco. All of these flights were within the USA, and none required my perfume oils, lip gloss, liquid makeup, lotion etc to be in bags. They were all just in my purse.
I had actually forgotten my ziplocs for my first flight, so I informed security, hoping there was a kiosk or something where I could buy one. He told me, "Oh we dont do that any more." So...I didn't bother using them for the remainder of my trip and it was fine. Was I just lucky? Should I bother bagging my liquid next time I fly?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I still put my liquids in a ziplock bag. But that ziplock bag goes into my dopp kit. Don't have to remove 3-1-1 bag for pre and TSA has never asked me about it, so I figure I'm still compliant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.