Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling on another person's passport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Travelling on another person's passport

Hypothetically speaking, What would be the chances of being stopped if trying to board on another person's passport ( in Suwannabhumi BKK airport)? Say that the two persons look similar although not 100% alike, both from 1 st world european countries and the borrowed passport will not have been reported stolen in any way.

Considering the thai security/procedures, what would you say that the chance of making it onto the flight would be?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by JimGateB
Hypothetically speaking, What would be the chances of being stopped if trying to board on another person's passport ( in Suwannabhumi BKK airport)? Say that the two persons look similar although not 100% alike, both from 1 st world european countries and the borrowed passport will not have been reported stolen in any way.

Considering the thai security/procedures, what would you say that the chance of making it onto the flight would be?

I see no risk here! Just go for it and report back what happened 😂
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The chances are not 0%, but they are also not 100%.

Thailand has FRT in use when BKK is the airport of exit from Thailand.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Most countries use a camera to verify I'd on top of the agent looking.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Many countries is not most countries. And even many of the countries that do such don't do it to all persons leaving the country..

Leaving Thailand on real passports stolen or illegally sold still happens.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:35 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

The chances would be greater than I would be comfortable with risking, based on the potential severity of the penalty. I would not recommend this unless it is some sort of life-or-death matter.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cbn42
The chances would be greater than I would be comfortable with risking, based on the potential severity of the penalty. I would not recommend this unless it is some sort of life-or-death matter.
If done intentionally, it's generally illegal. Thai jails aren't pleasant places even as they don't have a prison rape problem on the frequency scale of the US prison system. The chances of being stopped at BKK and jailed are substantial for this kind of activity.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 11, 2016 at 2:40 am Reason: You
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Why would you want to travel under someone else's identity illegally?

Are you on the run from the law?

Are you on the run from a criminal syndicate (perhaps you borrowed from a loan shark and can't pay it back)?

Do you intend to perform some illegal activity at the destination (such as purchasing a sexual encounter with a child or engaging in human trafficking or smuggling)?

Are you attempting to give your mate an alibi while he performs some criminal activity (i.e. his passport shows he was in Thailand at the time the murder occurred, so he couldn't possibly be the killer)?

Are you a known or suspected international criminal?

Are you a known or suspected international terrorist?

Anyway, as GUWonder says, it's generally illegal to travel under a fraudulent name, either using fraudulent documents or using genuine documents in a fraudulent manner, so... DON'T.

Or, actually, *DO*, because if you're up to some no good, then traveling with a mate's passport and hoping beyond hope that white people all look alike to the Thai authorities will exponentially increase your chances of getting caught in whatever scheme you may or may not be hatching.

Have fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**PS You guys know what this reminds me of? He's asking for info on how to commit a crime - feigning innocence, of course - from a bunch of random strangers on an internet message board. It reminds me of that scene from Office Space where the guys don't know what "money laundering" means.

"I can't believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up "money laundering" in a dictionary."

Last edited by WillCAD; Dec 11, 2016 at 6:01 am
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Why would you want to travel under someone else's identity illegally?

Are you on the run from the law?

Are you on the run from a criminal syndicate (perhaps you borrowed from a loan shark and can't pay it back)?

Do you intend to perform some illegal activity at the destination (such as purchasing a sexual encounter with a child or engaging in human trafficking or smuggling)?

Are you attempting to give your mate an alibi while he performs some criminal activity (i.e. his passport shows he was in Thailand at the time the murder occurred, so he couldn't possibly be the killer)?

Are you a known or suspected international criminal?

Are you a known or suspected international terrorist?

Anyway, as GUWonder says, it's generally illegal to travel under a fraudulent name, either using fraudulent documents or using genuine documents in a fraudulent manner, so... DON'T.

Or, actually, *DO*, because if you're up to some no good, then traveling with a mate's passport and hoping beyond hope that white people all look alike to the Thai authorities will exponentially increase your chances of getting caught in whatever scheme you may or may not be hatching.

Have fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**PS You guys know what this reminds me of? He's asking for info on how to commit a crime - feigning innocence, of course - from a bunch of random strangers on an internet message board. It reminds me of that scene from Office Space where the guys don't know what "money laundering" means.

"I can't believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up "money laundering" in a dictionary."
Some people are just curious for the sake of being curious. For example, some people just like knowing the capabilities and limitations applicable to governmental authorities at airports of entry and/or exit.

Some of the stuff I've discussed with friends on a late Saturday night to understand or hypothesize about outcomes doesn't mean that the discussed scenario/hypothetical is part of a plot/conspiracy intended to be carried out by the discussing parties.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some people are just curious for the sake of being curious. For example, some people just like knowing the capabilities and limitations applicable to governmental authorities at airports of entry and/or exit.

Some of the stuff I've discussed with friends on a late Saturday night to understand or hypothesize about outcomes doesn't mean that the discussed scenario/hypothetical is part of a plot/conspiracy intended to be carried out by the discussing parties.
You don't find the posters question a bit suspicious?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You don't find the posters question a bit suspicious?
Sure, but I also understand an appreciation for information about governmental capabilities at an airport.

If I had asked about the same topic here, would it be more or less suspicious?

I certainly wouldn't be the kind of person engaged in the kind of hypothetical, generally unlawful activity covered in the OP. Still, if I were ignorant about this matter and curious about it, then I may well choose to try to ask people who may know the answers.

You could say I like to be a good student of governmental dynamics, capabilities and limitations relevant to travel, even when/if it's not my travel.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, but I also understand an appreciation for information about governmental capabilities at an airport.

If I had asked about the same topic here, would it be more or less suspicious?

I certainly wouldn't be the kind of person engaged in the kind of hypothetical, generally unlawful activity covered in the OP. Still, if I were ignorant about this matter and curious about it, then I may well choose to try to ask people who may know the answers.

You could say I like to be a good student of governmental dynamics, capabilities and limitations relevant to travel, even when/if it's not my travel.
Less suspicious. OP 2 postings both about security, you 81,000 posting.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:16 am
Original Poster

The chances are not 0%, but they are also not 100%.

Thailand has FRT in use when BKK is the airport of exit from Thailand.

FRT is a type of software they use?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO

I just read in another thread that they don't take your picture on departure from BKK. In that case ,could there still be a computer software involved to recognize facial features? or its just up to the eye sight of the agent's?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:41 am
Suspended

Even without telling you to look at a camera, FRT use is possible and takes place at some airports.

FRT is a type of software they use?
Facial recognition technology has a hardware and software component to it.

The Thai government -- and actually even the US Govt. -- has sometimes used it for Thai exit passport control at BKK.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 12, 2016 at 1:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.