Wiki Posts
Search

Boston TSA-(non)Security

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Boston TSA-(non)Security

Recently flew through Boston internationally and encountered basically no security at TSA.

My wife, daughter and I were flying with an international carrier (that you can not enter Global Entry / Precheck #s).

We expected to have to take out liquids, laptop and syringes (for medication). None of it was required. It was the first time traveling with syringes, so we had a doctors not for them and medication. Asked if anyone needed the note to the Agent checking for boarding passes & IDs. She seemed confused.

Once we got to the bag scanners, I realized no one was taking anything out of their bags. We did the same.

Just an odd experience, normally we go through the Precheck lines and every runs smooth unless there is someone who got access and never travels.

It was like everyone had precheck clearance but no one did.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:26 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by newaarondavidson
Recently flew through Boston internationally and encountered basically no security at TSA.

My wife, daughter and I were flying with an international carrier (that you can not enter Global Entry / Precheck #s).

We expected to have to take out liquids, laptop and syringes (for medication). None of it was required. It was the first time traveling with syringes, so we had a doctors not for them and medication. Asked if anyone needed the note to the Agent checking for boarding passes & IDs. She seemed confused.

Once we got to the bag scanners, I realized no one was taking anything out of their bags. We did the same.

Just an odd experience, normally we go through the Precheck lines and every runs smooth unless there is someone who got access and never travels.

It was like everyone had precheck clearance but no one did.
Was there a dog? Sometimes they'll have an explosive detection dog and it smells everyone as they walk past. Everyone gets pre-check style screening then.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Was there a dog? Sometimes they'll have an explosive detection dog and it smells everyone as they walk past. Everyone gets pre-check style screening then.
I got this a little while back on a KLM flight where (because KLM doesn't seem to understand how to apply a KTN) I didn't get Pre flying out of SFO. But still got Pre-style experience because they were walking everyone past a dog in the line to the ID check.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
I got this a little while back on a KLM flight where (because KLM doesn't seem to understand how to apply a KTN) I didn't get Pre flying out of SFO. But still got Pre-style experience because they were walking everyone past a dog in the line to the ID check.
No dog that we noticed. But there may have been. I went through the be scanner and the girls went through the metal detector.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
How is this "non" security?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
KLM doesn't not understand how to apply a KTN. KLM doesn't participate in information exchange with TSA for PreCheck.

Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I got this a little while back on a KLM flight where (because KLM doesn't seem to understand how to apply a KTN) I didn't get Pre flying out of SFO.
KLM does not participate in the TSA Pre✓ program.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You completely misunderstand how Pre-Check works. KL very well understands how Pre-Check works. Neither you nor KL are able to enter your KTN into a KL PNR because KL does not participate in Pre-Check.

If and when KL does, part of joining the program will involve adding a field to KL PNR's in which you will add your KTN and that KTN will then, along with other data supplied by KL be supplied to DHS and, if appropriate, you will be run through the Pre-Check line.

You may also, on occasion, be granted random access.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by newaarondavidson
Serious question. Did your flight blow up, get hijacked, or fly into a landmark? Or did you make it to your original destination safely and on time?

If so, what was the “problem” with the security?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The Sheeple don't feel safe without big brother freedom groping.

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Serious question. Did your flight blow up, get hijacked, or fly into a landmark? Or did you make it to your original destination safely and on time?

If so, what was the “problem” with the security?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by Often1
You completely misunderstand how Pre-Check works. KL very well understands how Pre-Check works. Neither you nor KL are able to enter your KTN into a KL PNR because KL does not participate in Pre-Check.

If and when KL does, part of joining the program will involve adding a field to KL PNR's in which you will add your KTN and that KTN will then, along with other data supplied by KL be supplied to DHS and, if appropriate, you will be run through the Pre-Check line.

You may also, on occasion, be granted random access.
Thanks for the lecture. I've been GE for a few years now and flown on a variety of domestic and international airlines without ever learning how Pre works.

(note sarcasm, next time I feel like making a joke about the silliness of how that mess of a system works I'll keep it to myself -- but KLM provides a field for filling in the number despite not doing anything useful with it, and the rest of of the information needed for Pre is already required to be collected and shared as part of Secure Flight)
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The Sheeple don't feel safe without big brother freedom groping.
This makes me wonder. What part of the “lax security” bothered the OP more, A.) the fact that their bags were not strip searched and they did not get a resistance massage, or B.) the fact that all the other pax on their plane did not get their bags strip searched and they did not get a resistance massage?

TSA has screened 7 billion people, the population of the Earth, and found zero terrorists. If once a day a random counter lights up and the next plane load, say 150 people, just get to walk through with no screening, the mathematical odds are that in the 150 random people of the two million daily pax there will be no terrorists, no Red Team test members, and no bubbas who “forgot” they had their conceal carry gun in their bag. But then “TSA” and "logic" and “risk based threat management” have never been used together.

I know TSA/DHS loves to push the Be Wewy Wewy Afraid FEAR factor, but I, for one, do not believe that Al Quaeda has Go Teams hanging out in airport motels 24/7/365, waiting for the call “Our scout noticed Gate 7B checkpoint is run by one striper trainees at 50% of normal screening levels, hurry grab your tickets and boxcutters and enter there.”
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I know TSA/DHS loves to push the Be Wewy Wewy Afraid FEAR factor, but I, for one, do not believe that Al Quaeda has Go Teams hanging out in airport motels 24/7/365, waiting for the call “Our scout noticed Gate 7B checkpoint is run by one striper trainees at 50% of normal screening levels, hurry grab your tickets and boxcutters and enter there.”
This seems to be exactly what many, many Americans believe.

The Terr'ists (tm) or Them Moslems (c) have infiltrated our entire country. They wait behind every corner, hide behind every bush, drive every cab and own every liquor store and 7-11 in the country. Every one of them owns an arsenal and has PHDs in the construction of nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons of mass destruction. We must be alert - ANYONE could be the next Obama Ben Lautner, especially the ones with dark skin or furrin' accents, and we must keep our eyes on Them All at all times. Because for no reason whatsoever, with no trigger of any kind, They will strike, blowing up buildings, crashing airplanes, shooting up suburban neighborhoods, kidnapping toddlers, shooting dogs, and peeing on Bibles. They smash nativity scenes outside churches, too.

The level of stupid, ignorant, belligerent paranoia in this country is higher that it was during the cold war, when Commies hid behind every bush and lam post, subverting our young and stealing our pie recipes vith meecrofilm kemeras zee size uff a peck uff gum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.