Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passports and hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Passports and hotels

I did a little searching on FT and did not find anything definitive.

In the states, a hotel generally will ask to see my driver's license when checking in, but that is the extent of it. (Although hotels located within Neptune Township, NJ, must take a copy of your driver's license and maintain it for 1 year per the town ordinance.)

I think we all know that lodging in Europe and at least some parts of Asia require passport information upon check-in. In Europe, it generally seems to be simply entering the passport number in your booking. Or in the case if a Marriott property today in eastern Europe, she simply took a quick look at it (did not leave my hand). Whereas all properties in Asia that I have stayed at have made a copy (although none - from mom/pop guest houses to the IC in Singapore can answer what happens to those copies).

Is there valuable information on a passport that could be used elsewhere? My full name and date of birth are easily obtainable. I don't use a passport when applying for credit. Are there other concerns about copies of passport face pages lying around?

This is a mild curiosity as there is nothing I can do to change the practice.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not every EU/EEA country requires passport/ID checks of hotel guests.

I check into lots of hotels in Europe without showing any photo ID. And then there are other countries where I am always (or nearly always) asked to show a passport or national ID card

The name and birthdate in hand can help lead to lots of info about some people.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not every EU/EEA country requires passport/ID checks of hotel guests.

I check into lots of hotels in Europe without showing any photo ID. And then there are other countries where I am always (or nearly always) asked to show a passport or national ID card

The name and birthdate in hand can help lead to lots of info about some people.
While implementation is probably spotty, it is a legal requirement of the Schengen treaty that hotels verify and record the identity and nationality of all their guests. In practice this means passport, EU/EEA driver's licence, or EU/EEA national identity card must be shown on check-in.

Some EU states have even stricter requirements, such as Italy where this information must be reported to police nightly; some hotels insist on holding on to your passport overnight for this reason, causing some understandable discomfort among some.

As for data security, someone's full name and birthdate is critical vital information that is used all the time for nefarious purposes. But I would not worry about people getting this information from your passport. In some US states, this information is a public record, making it next to useless as "secrets"
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
While implementation is probably spotty, it is a legal requirement of the Schengen treaty that hotels verify and record the identity and nationality of all their guests.
That is a sweeping generalization that is not representative of the legal requirements across the entire Schengen zone. I've checked into four hotels across two Schengen countries in the past several days, and there is no legal requirement for those hotels to verify and record the identity and nationality of all guests.

Even in Italy, they don't verify and record the identity and nationality of all guests on premises. Young Italian minors are hotel guests too, and they don't all have national ID/passports. Where is the Italian law that says that all Italian minors who are hotel guests must also submit national ID/passports? Legally, the Italian hotels do verify/record my passport info, but then I'm an adult US visitor at an Italian hotel and not an Italian minor at an Italian hotel.

Here is the Schengen treaty text:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedo....ACQUIS-EN.pdf

Where exactly in there should we all be looking for this legal requirement of the Schengen treaty applicable to hotels? Title II Article 19. But then you have to actually go and look at what each of the separate Schengen countries have done and not done, as not all of them have done the same thing. Strictly speaking, Title II Article 19 is not applicable to hotels.

As for data security, someone's full name and birthdate is critical vital information that is used all the time for nefarious purposes. But I would not worry about people getting this information from your passport. In some US states, this information is a public record, making it next to useless as "secrets"
Full name and birthdate info in hand as on passport enable more nefarious activities than partial names and no birthdate would. Figuring out which Jon Smith is away from home and an easier target for a home invasion while away is a lot easier when you know Jon Smith in the hotel is actually Jonathan Abraham Goldberg Smith born in Norway on May 5, 1956 and find out where he lives.

As a practical matter, travelers' privacy and property protection is superior when home address information isn't as easily discernible to so many people on a trip. And full name and birthdate, as on passport, make it a lot easier to figure out where and when a traveler's home is more likely to be an easier target for break-in.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 24, 2016 at 6:19 am
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(

As a practical matter, travelers' privacy and property protection is superior when home address information isn't as easily discernible to so many people on a trip. And full name and birthdate, as on passport, make it a lot easier to figure out where and when a traveler's home is more likely to be an easier target for break-in.
Please. A country's security services are not interested in, nor do they have programs for, collecting tourist data to support a worldwide burglary scheme. No, in today's world the general the reasons why we do this are (1) to enforce compliance with tax laws; (2) locate/track persons wanted for, or suspected of, criminal behavior (and to maintain a database of movement for investigating incidents); and (3) surveillance for intel/counter-intel or more nefariously, political reasons.
nancypants and scottpenderson like this.

Last edited by Section 107; Oct 24, 2016 at 1:35 pm Reason: grammer :)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Section 107
Please. A country's security services are not interested in, nor do they have programs for, collecting tourist data to support a worldwide burglary scheme. No, in today's world the general the reasons why we do this is (1) to enforce compliance with tax laws; (2) locate/track persons wanted for, or suspected of, criminal behavior (and to maintain a database of movement for investigating incidents); and (3) surveillance for intel/counter-intel or more nefariously, political reasons.
You're assuming that my post's reference was to break-ins by or on behalf of government? It wasn't.

This kind of government requirement -- where applicable -- may also do your 1-3 too; but more travelers are subject to physical break-ins/theft by non-governmental actors than by or on behalf of governmental actors.

But your 1-3 above are another reason to think about why perhaps the informed public should be opposed to such laws. 1-3 are all political reasons why governments may want such laws about hotel guests.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 24, 2016 at 1:37 pm
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: GE
That is a sweeping generalization that is not representative of the legal requirements across the entire Schengen zone. I've checked into four hotels across two Schengen countries in the past several days, and there is no legal requirement for those hotels to verify and record the identity and nationality of all guests.

Even in Italy, they don't verify and record the identity and nationality of all guests on premises. Young Italian minors are hotel guests too, and they don't all have national ID/passports. Where is the Italian law that says that all Italian minors who are hotel guests must also submit national ID/passports? Legally, the Italian hotels do verify/record my passport info, but then I'm an adult US visitor at an Italian hotel and not an Italian minor at an Italian hotel.

Here is the Schengen treaty text:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedo....ACQUIS-EN.pdf

Where exactly in there should we all be looking for this legal requirement of the Schengen treaty applicable to hotels? Title II Article 19. But then you have to actually go and look at what each of the separate Schengen countries have done and not done, as not all of them have done the same thing. Strictly speaking, Title II Article 19 is not applicable to hotels.
Challenge accepted:

Title III, Article 45

The Contracting Parties undertake to take the measures required to guarantee that. :
a. the managers of establishments providing lodging or their employees ensure
that aliens accommodated therein, including nationals of the other Contracting
Parties as well as those of other Member States of the European Communities,
with the exception of accompanying spouses or minors or members of travel
groups, personally complete and sign declaration forms and confirm their
identity by the production of a valid identity document;
b. the declaration forms thus completed will be kept for the competent
authorities or forwarded to them where such authorities deem this necessary
for the prevention of threats, for criminal proceedings or to ascertain what has
happened to persons who have disappeared or who have been the victim of an
accident, save where national law provides otherwise.
Members of tour groups, and spouses/minor children of the primary guest may be exempt, but everyone else must ID up.

Now, admittedly, the Schengen treaty is a requirement on the Member States themselves, and not on hotel guests or even on the hotels. So it's possible that the actual law still varies a little from country to country. Regardless, the Schengen treaty is binding, and I would not assume that any country is not legally in full compliance with Schengen (especially now with the refugee crisis)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Challenge accepted:

Members of tour groups, and spouses/minor children of the primary guest may be exempt, but everyone else must ID up.

Now, admittedly, the Schengen treaty is a requirement on the Member States themselves, and not on hotel guests or even on the hotels. So it's possible that the actual law still varies a little from country to country. Regardless, the Schengen treaty is binding, and I would not assume that any country is not legally in full compliance with Schengen (especially now with the refugee crisis)
And even what you posted above includes an example of what kind of people may be exempt where countries have a law about guest registration requiring verifying the identity and nationality of guests. Walking back from the earlier claim about such laws being applicable to all guests? That's good. Walking back from a claim that it's Schengen-wide law applicable to all hotels? Strictly speaking again, that Title III Article 45 language too is not applicable to hotels. Not all countries in the Schengen region have the same laws about hotels in this regard. The actual laws and regulations vary from Schengen country to Schengen country when it comes to hotels in this regard.

Let me help start people on research, to try to further corrrect the incorrect claim:

http://emn.ee/wp-content/uploads/201...ination_en.pdf

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 24, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Passport Data - More Generally

I am resurrecting this thread. I originally asked this in the context of hotels use of passport copies.

Most of us try to protect our SSNs, bank account numbers, PINs, etc. I am now asking a broader question. Is there any data on the passport face page that can be used nefariously? The issue came to mind because I purchased a SIM in Costa Rica. The kiosk man used my passport number when activating the SIM card. (He jotted it down and then called in to activate the SIM.)

He then made a demonstration of destroying the paper and he emphatically stated to me "do not give this SIM card away if it has an unused balance...destroy it...because if someone does something illegal involving the SIM card, I will be the one identified".

That got me thinking. .How dangerous is it to have passport data floating around?

Best wishes for the New Year!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by lamphs
That got me thinking. .How dangerous is it to have passport data floating around?
Good question. The number of copies and scans do my passport floating around does make me uncomfortable. Most online services require a scan or image of your passport to authenticate you when you’re locked out of your account. I’ve also been asked by AirBnb to submit an image of my passport when I had a dispute and wished to claim a refund.

At least with hotels most passport copies are stored on paper file, not digitally. I’m more concerned about the security of various online services that store many copies of passports (e.g. background check agencies, estate agents in the UK, and any website where you need to submit a copy to authenticate yourself - online banking or trading firms). A breach of such a database could be used to impersonate one to your email provider and gain access to your email. That’s often the key to then compromise your other accounts and digital wallets. Not sure what Google’s account recovery process is, but fairly certain it includes submitting ID such as a passport photo.

GDPR should help here, as data should only be held for as long as necessary, but there’s no way to be sure that hotels or online firms are complying with such requirements. And of course a moot point outside the EU.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:33 am
Suspended

The passport biodata page can be used for nefarious purposes. I’ll elaborate again more on this later, but there is a reason there is an illicit market for passport biodata pages.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
US passports, on the face page, just have your pic, birth date and gender. I just put my state in as place of birth, so no indication of hometown. That's not a huge amount of info, less than most people have in their Facebook public profiles, but I still refrain from handing over any ID to anyone I don't have to. I always stay in Marriott properties and just give my Rewards number and the credit card I used for the on-line reservation as my proof that I am who I am. I show my DL to TSA and to the rental car company, and if it's an international trip them my passport at the boarding gate or at check-in, and for Immigration. Other than that, I don't show photo ID to pretty much anyone.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
At most German hotels I was never asked to show any form of ID. Most cities require the guest to sign a registration slip. But you can as well choose a fantasy name on it.

Most German hotels - this doesnt include these overpriced branded-hotels.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
At most German hotels I was never asked to show any form of ID. Most cities require the guest to sign a registration slip. But you can as well choose a fantasy name on it.
Most German hotels - this doesnt include these overpriced branded-hotels.
Recently, I was in Germany on a business trip, and I have to mention that every hotel asked for my ID. They did not specifically insist on a passport (I gave them my US driver's license), but they let me know that not providing any piece of ID was not an option.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by lamphs
I am resurrecting this thread. I originally asked this in the context of hotels use of passport copies.

Most of us try to protect our SSNs, bank account numbers, PINs, etc. I am now asking a broader question. Is there any data on the passport face page that can be used nefariously? The issue came to mind because I purchased a SIM in Costa Rica. The kiosk man used my passport number when activating the SIM card. (He jotted it down and then called in to activate the SIM.)

He then made a demonstration of destroying the paper and he emphatically stated to me "do not give this SIM card away if it has an unused balance...destroy it...because if someone does something illegal involving the SIM card, I will be the one identified".

I don't think the passport data is the issue here, but rather the SIM card. Governments seem to have the idea that terrorists use cell phones to plan their activities, and therefore they don't want "anonymous" cell phone lines. If a phone line is used for nefarious purposes, they want to be able to trace it to a person.

Hopefully no vendor will give someone a SIM card without verifying that they are the holder of the passport number that is presented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.