Search

"Why do you want me to change my gloves?"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
"Why do you want me to change my gloves?"

I got SSSSed on my AMS - ORD flight today, which included an explosives wipe-down at the gate. After watching the security personnel screen the passenger in front of me -- handling her bags, picking up her shoe, etc. -- the first thing I did was ask her to change her gloves. She gave me a strange look and asked me why I wanted her to do that (though she did comply with the request).

In the US, my response probably would have been a little bit more blunt, but I toned it down a bit given that she was the only thing standing between me and the jetway, and said, "I previously had a false positive and the screener told me that dirty gloves are often the cause. He told me to always ask screeners to change their gloves." I figured that phrasing it that way was better than, "I just watched you wipe your gloves all over that woman's luggage, shoes and other dirty things," (too accusatory) or, "I'm a germophobe" (leave the door open for disagreement/arguing).

I'm curious: How do others respond?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:05 pm

"To avoid cross contamination."

I don't elaborate.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Sounds like she was asking just out of curiosity. Since she complied I would have just said "I'm a germaphobe". Since she complied it doesn't really matter if she disagrees with you.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:18 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by schmoove
Sounds like she was asking just out of curiosity. Since she complied I would have just said "I'm a germaphobe". Since she complied it doesn't really matter if she disagrees with you.
In this case, she asked before she changed her gloves, I was worried that the germophobe comment might be greeted with an explanation that they were antibacterial gloves or some such nonsense.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
"Because your SOP says to change gloves between inspections."
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Section 107
"Because your SOP says to change gloves between inspections."
In AMS?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by chollie
In AMS?
Certainly, if the gloves themselves will be swabbed for ETD. Pretty standard cross-contamination prevention protocol and it should not matter what "security" agency is performing the inspection.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:08 pm

At BRU during the whole Ebola thing, the gate screeners were wearing the same gloves for the whole planeload of passengers. There was no EDT, but I still complained afterward and got a completely useless non-understanding response back from the airport.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here in the U. S., I don't ask. It's a declarative sentence: "Before you touch me or my stuff, I want you to change your gloves (adding "out of the box" if necessary) and test them in the ETD machine." If pushback occurs, my next statement is: "What part of what I just said don't you understand?"

Outside the U.S., I will ask as the OP described.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.