Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Now you can apply and pay for land border i94 before crossing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now you can apply and pay for land border i94 before crossing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CBP making land crossings more convenient for I-94 users

For those using the I94 form for land crossings into the US, you'll be able to pay online and do that up to 7 days prior to the land trip into the US.

Not sure how much this slows down things at road crossings overall, but this kind of stuff being allowed at least prior to showing up at the crossing should help some.

If you don't use it with the week, however, it wouldn't surprise me if CBP refuses to refund the money in full..

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 6, 2016 at 12:49 pm
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes, CBP will eat the money ($6) if you don't go within 7 days of payment.

http://www.ifallsjournal.com/news/pu...460dad5f4.html
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Looks good though will save me a lot of time at the border.

<redacted>

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 5, 2016 at 11:33 am Reason: Off topic
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Now you can apply for land border i94 before crossing

Has anyone noticed you can now apply for an i94 before crossing the border via land on the i94 website. What is the purpose of this? Can you not continue to get an i94 at the border?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Why can't they refund the money for those who change plans and don't come across within 7 days? Alhough DHS/CBP'a ESTA-related revenue is also non-refundable, that's not a great justification for the I-94 fee to be non-refundable if the person cancels/changes plans such they they don't show up at the land ports of entry within 7 days.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Has anyone noticed you can now apply for an i94 before crossing the border via land on the i94 website. What is the purpose of this? Can you not continue to get an i94 at the border?
Yes. I opened a thread to discuss this:

CBP making land crossings more convenient for I-94 users

Getting an I94 at the border is itself still possible, as is paying at the border. The upside of the old process is you don't risk spending $6 online only to have it go to waste if you don't show up within 7 days.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 6, 2016 at 10:12 am Reason: Remove circular link post thread merger
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Well, first off: the new I-94 website is terrible, my latest I-94 printout looks like a 95's website split over 2 pages (the old I-94 printout at least looked semi official).

Back on topic: I really don't see the point in this. According to the website you still have to be issued a paper I-94 at the border, so all you're doing is providing them a bit of information and money earlier, but the bureacratic part of the process is barely being improved.

On a related note: I've seen some parts of the CBP website suggesting that reentering the US when you have an existing valid digital I-94 you don't need to go through the same paper I-94 rigmarole, does anyone know more about that? This online I-94 pre-application doesn't seem to make any mention of it, so is it possible people are being duped into unnecessarily buying another I-94? (This is possible if you e.g. are on the VWP, flew to the US, went to Canada for a few days, come back to the US at a land border)
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:34 pm

Does a traveler have to park and go inside to receive a paper I-94? If a primary CBP officer can print it in the booth, then I can see how prepaying the I-94 fee might save a traveler (and his/her companions) a lot of time at the border.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by König
Does a traveler have to park and go inside to receive a paper I-94? If a primary CBP officer can print it in the booth, then I can see how prepaying the I-94 fee might save a traveler (and his/her companions) a lot of time at the border.
According to the documentation you still need to get biometrics and an "interview" (although I guess you get the interview at the booth). So if they add mobile fingerprint scanners and a camera at the booths then I guess it works, but that seems unlikely.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by televisor
According to the documentation you still need to get biometrics and an "interview" (although I guess you get the interview at the booth). So if they add mobile fingerprint scanners and a camera at the booths then I guess it works, but that seems unlikely.
The credibility interview will still be at the booths, but that doesn't mean that they can't be done in the line too without actually going up to the booth.

Given what they've already trialed for exit control at airports, specifically the kind of thing noted in the following link

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...lect-biometric

they can repurpose some of the same sort of equipment or a substitute for entry at land crossings too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 6, 2016 at 1:12 pm
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:37 pm

I know a CBP officer at Niagara Falls mentioned that eventually they planned to have portable fingerprint scanners for those with ESTAS (as the i94 info is pre filled out)
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:39 pm

Well, first off: the new I-94 website is terrible, my latest I-94 printout looks like a 95's website split over 2 pages (the old I-94 printout at least looked semi official).

Back on topic: I really don't see the point in this. According to the website you still have to be issued a paper I-94 at the border, so all you're doing is providing them a bit of information and money earlier, but the bureacratic part of the process is barely being improved.

On a related note: I've seen some parts of the CBP website suggesting that reentering the US when you have an existing valid digital I-94 you don't need to go through the same paper I-94 rigmarole, does anyone know more about that? This online I-94 pre-application doesn't seem to make any mention of it, so is it possible people are being duped into unnecessarily buying another I-94? (This is possible if you e.g. are on the VWP, flew to the US, went to Canada for a few days, come back to the US at a land border)

I live in Canada but am a Visa waiver citizen and never have to get an i94 at the border as I pretty much always go over land within 90 days of flying in by Air (I fly to the US bi-weekly). Annoyingly sometimes you'll still get sent inside for an i94 and the officer then realises you already have one.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:50 pm

I know a CBP officer at Niagara Falls mentioned that eventually they planned to have portable fingerprint scanners for those with ESTAS (as the i94 info is pre filled out)
Interesting! I wonder how many people would know to update the ESTA information though - it's not all that obvious (as someone crossing mainly at air borders, I wasn't quite sure if they'd pay any attention to the ESTA information, seeing as there's another copy of everything submitted during checkin, followed by a third copy on the blue form if applicable.)

I live in Canada but am a Visa waiver citizen and never have to get an i94 at the border as I pretty much always go over land within 90 days of flying in by Air (I fly to the US bi-weekly). Annoyingly sometimes you'll still get sent inside for an i94 and the officer then realises you already have one.
Good to know - although for us non-Canadians we unfortunately still have the fingerprinting to deal with for now : / (At least I know I could save the I-94 fee, hopefully).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
idont think i quite follow

uk citizen flying into texas ..

i am going into juarez for the day- -i will have esta but do i need to get the 1-94 waiver as well when i do the land crossing back into el paso?

or does esta cover it??trying to avoid wasting time.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
idont think i quite follow

uk citizen flying into texas ..

i am going into juarez for the day- -i will have esta but do i need to get the 1-94 waiver as well when i do the land crossing back into el paso?

or does esta cover it??trying to avoid wasting time.
of you flew into Texas before your i94 (electronic you won't get a physical one) is issued at the airport for 90 days, so with your day trip it's still active on returning to the border, they'll scan your passport and then readmit you (no stamps though as you've already been admitted on that trip)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.