Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apis - TK to the USA: do I need to comply?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Apis - TK to the USA: do I need to comply?

I am flying with turkish airlines to united states. Do I need to fill out the Apis form?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

We have moved your post to the appropriate forum.

And, yes, it appears you must.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/travel-in...-departure-req
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mariamj
I am flying with turkish airlines to united states. Do I need to fill out the Apis form?
You don't need to comply, but the airline will have to comply -- or at least the US-bound airline will want to comply.

If you don't fill it out, the airline will get it done using your passport at least -- prior to check-in for the flight to the US. They are required to do/require it and transmit it for US-bound flights. If it's not done, either you or the airline may wish you or they had done it prior to the flight.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes.

Either you will complete it or TK will complete it using your documents while you stand there or possibly while you are sent off to wait in a much longer line all depending on how your TK agent is feeling when you check in.

TK will not let you board your flight until APIS is complete.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes.

Either you will complete it or TK will complete it using your documents while you stand there or possibly while you are sent off to wait in a much longer line all depending on how your TK agent is feeling when you check in.
No need for the scare-mongering -- that "much longer line" line. It works out well enough whether done at check-in by the airline rep or in advance by the passenger. If anything, there may even be some advantages of having it done at the airport by the airline check-in rep.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: GE
Despite being often able to supply APIS at check in, I would recommend to do so at least 72 hours before the flight.

It is at 72 hours that the airline transmits preliminary passenger information via the APIS system which includes at minimum your name and date of birth. If APIS information is supplied after this deadline, then the airline can submit it as it is entered, or even wait until 30 minutes before departure to submit APIS.

So while it is quite unlikely that late APIS submission will cause a problem, theoretically all kinds of things can go wrong: mistaken identity at the 72 hour submission (particularly if you have a common name), problem with APIS information at check in (e.g. passport validity problem) or even worse a problem with APIS at 30 minutes to departure (e.g. fat finger)

It is not a thing to worry about at all, but I always take the never-more-than 5 minutes to enter all my APIS information online and it's one less thing to go wrong.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:19 am
Suspended

There may be some downsides to passengers entering the APIS information 72 hours or more before departure; and there may be some downsides to passengers entering such info even well in advance of check-in within the 72 hour periods.

There may also be an upside to entering the APIS info at least 72 hours prior, but that's mostly with regard to carriers that issue PreCheck boarding passes and/or haraSSSSment boarding passes.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: ELAL, BA, Flying Blue, United
Hi,

I'm trying to do the process online but is giving me constant error on the visa number (via Turkish Airlines website), I understand is the same to do it on check in but if someone knows the trick to make it online will be great

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.