Transborder Trip On 2 Airlines

Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
Transborder Trip On 2 Airlines

Due to the current schedule, I am thinking about traveling to Toronto on Air Canada and returning on American. Although I've GE/Nexus, is there any risk (e.g., secondary screening) to purchasing the one-way tickets on the airline websites? The alternative would be to purchase it on Expedia, so I'd have a single itinerary showing both the outbound and return flights. Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sant
Due to the current schedule, I am thinking about traveling to Toronto on Air Canada and returning on American. Although I've GE/Nexus, is there any risk (e.g., secondary screening) to purchasing the one-way tickets on the airline websites? The alternative would be to purchase it on Expedia, so I'd have a single itinerary showing both the outbound and return flights. Thanks.
Nope. Happens all the time. Especially since you have a KTN it's unlikely to get SSSS.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Atleast 50% of my transborder travel is like this. I've never had a problem. Sometimes Delta will ask you to show a return ticket/booking or a US or Canadian residency visa but thats about it. Air Canada and American never ask for anything.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I do separate one way tickets all the time between US/Canada. Never had a problem.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nope. Happens all the time. Especially since you have a KTN it's unlikely to get SSSS.
Until I got my KTN, I had not had an SSSS in over ten years. Since then, I had SSSS twice, each time involving international travel. The first time was at the AA transfer desk in HKG; was flying from BLR to HKG on BA miles on Cathay, and revenue ticket on AA, HKG/DFW/COS. The secondary screening in HKG was minor. In DFW it was horrendous.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by mre5765
Until I got my KTN, I had not had an SSSS in over ten years. Since then, I had SSSS twice, each time involving international travel. The first time was at the AA transfer desk in HKG; was flying from BLR to HKG on BA miles on Cathay, and revenue ticket on AA, HKG/DFW/COS. The secondary screening in HKG was minor. In DFW it was horrendous.
I wonder... are the security agents at foreign outstations mistaking the KTN in your reservation for a redress number, and therefore electing to select you for extra screening? (Is that how things work? From what I've heard foreign outstations do have some influence over who get's SSSS'd, but that could be complete baloney?)
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's question has to do with the risks, if any, in booking outbound and inbound transborder flights on different carriers. The answer is that there is none.

At absolute most, either or both the carrier check-in agent or CBSA/CBP Officer as the case may be may ask to see proof of the return on the other carrier. That may take an extra 30 seconds somewhere along the line.

As to the other speculation about KTN's being mistaken for redress numbers, that seems just as spculative as an agent mistaking a request for a gluten-free meal for a redress number.

Don't forget that these are all separate fields and that "security" agents don't determine the printing of "SSSS." That is determined either by the carrier (not at the station) or DHS.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Often1
OP's question has to do with the risks, if any, in booking outbound and inbound transborder flights on different carriers. The answer is that there is none.

At absolute most, either or both the carrier check-in agent or CBSA/CBP Officer as the case may be may ask to see proof of the return on the other carrier. That may take an extra 30 seconds somewhere along the line.

As to the other speculation about KTN's being mistaken for redress numbers, that seems just as spculative as an agent mistaking a request for a gluten-free meal for a redress number.

Don't forget that these are all separate fields and that "security" agents don't determine the printing of "SSSS." That is determined either by the carrier (not at the station) or DHS.
Yes it is complete speculation - but if there's manual review in the process (regardless of whether it's local agent, carrier, or DHS), maybe they see a number and think that person is more deserving of an SSSS.

Or maybe the traveller in question is just travelling more, so the automated randomness strikes more often.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mre5765
The only time I've gotten SSSS since having a KTN was when the agent misentered a piece of the Secure Flight Data. A KTN with mismatch in information can trigger SSSS. It thinks you might be gaming the system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.