Visa got denied/Any solution to get onboard?

Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
would it work to buy another ticket from Canada back to the US so it falls within a transit such that you don't even leave the airport?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps
would it work to buy another ticket from Canada back to the US so it falls within a transit such that you don't even leave the airport?
No, it wouldn't, because Canada does not allow TWOV (transit without visa).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Some airfares have it specifically written into the fare rules that refusal of a visa allows a cancellation for free.

However, this is very much the exception rather than the rule.

Rather than poll opinions online, you should ring the agent that issued the ticket (don't ring the airline unless you bought it directly from the airline) and find out if a visa refusal is grounds for cancelling your partner's ticket for free.

Good luck! And please come back to let us know how the story ends.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Temedar
No, it wouldn't, because Canada does not allow TWOV (transit without visa).
And it wouldn't alter the fact that, as far as the airline(s) dealing with the existing ticket are concerned, the passenger is terminating their ticket in Canada, and therefore must have a valid visa to enter Canada.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And it wouldn't alter the fact that, as far as the airline(s) dealing with the existing ticket are concerned, the passenger is terminating their ticket in Canada, and therefore must have a valid visa to enter Canada.
Ouch, TWOV only at YVR and YYZ..sorry you could try at BKK and ask them to short checkin but this is not going to happen.

Last edited by ashkale; Sep 26, 2016 at 7:23 am
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by ashkale
Ouch, TWOV only at YVR and YYZ..sorry you could try at BKK and ask them to short checkin but this is not going to happen.
TWOV at YVR and YYZ requires specific airlines and other requirements
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by keitherson
This is most definitely a fuel dump: the open jaw to YUL (Canada) tricked the GDS into thinking it was a USA-Canada fare (where there is no YQ) as opposed to a USA to Thailand fare, which has YQ. These NH/UA fares were around for awhile, whether OP knowingly or unknowingly booked them. The prices after the dump makes the ticket all in of around $250 USD, in K class, if I remember correctly.

But the fact that OP never intended to take the ORD-YUL flight to Canada makes it a "hidden city" in the sense that he is throwing away the last flight. But it's an incorrect use of that term, since hidden city ticketing is usually properly priced. This fare is cheap because it was fuel dumped, not because connecting to Montreal is cheaper than going to Chicago nonstop.

OP got burned but I have very little sympathy since he knew exactly what he was doing by booking that flight to YUL.
Thank you for your understanding.

I have contacted the airline and cancelled the last segment.

I naturally thought that visa issue was not gonna be a problem for us two since every time when we travel we got visas granted successfully.
Also we fly quite often.

But I do not understand why this time the visa becomes something upset.

Anyway the problem now was solved. Thank you again for everyone's answer.

But I do think this question worth some discussion since it might happen frequently after people buy some cheap tickets.

For the ticket fare, I remember it was something around $400.
There were some tickets pricing at around $250, but I did not manage to book those.

See the picture below. Hooray.

Thank you for everyone's warmheartedness and yet I do think this question worth some discussion since the visa issue might happen frequently after people buy some cheap tickets.

I successfully solved the problem anyway.

Last edited by beckoa; Sep 30, 2016 at 12:30 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.