Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA checkpoint for completed flight before another

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Hey all:

Wife and I are planning a trip, and wanted to see how this situation could play out pending a possible travel plan adjustment.

As it stands, my wife and I are planning to take a flight on a Friday evening. My wife will be completing a travel trip earlier Friday. Originally we thought Thursday, now its been bumped back. There is a chance, there may only be about an hour and a half between flights.

So here is my question. Assuming my wife only uses a carry-on, and I print her boarding pass in advance, will she be required to leave the terminal and go through TSA in order to board a "new" series of flights? Or can I simply go through TSA myself with her boarding pass, meet her when she deplanes, and go to the new flight together?

We've never dealt with a situation where it could be this close, so wasn't sure how it would work.

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:37 am

Just give her the passes. If she's in the sterile area already and doesn't physically need to leave it, she doesn't need to go through TSA again.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only exception that I can think of is if she is arriving on an international flight. In this case a person must then go through customs and may be required to exit the sterile area.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Only a couple of reasons for your wife to exit that i can think of (I'm sure someone will come up with another). One is if she is arriving from an international flight which is not pre-cleared for immigration/customs. Flights from Canada and Dublin are usually cleared for customs/immigration. Maybe a couple others.

The only other exception I can think of is if she is arriving on one airline and your trip is on a different airline. Depending on the airport, she may need to exit the secured area to go to a different terminal/concourse, even for wholly domestic itineraries. LaGuardia comes to mind. If it's an airport where all domestic terminals are connected airside, no issues.

Can you share the airport and airline(s), and whether your wife's first flight is domestic or international?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Only a couple of reasons for your wife to exit that i can think of (I'm sure someone will come up with another). One is if she is arriving from an international flight which is not pre-cleared for immigration/customs. Flights from Canada and Dublin are usually cleared for customs/immigration. Maybe a couple others.

The only other exception I can think of is if she is arriving on one airline and your trip is on a different airline. Depending on the airport, she may need to exit the secured area to go to a different terminal/concourse, even for wholly domestic itineraries. LaGuardia comes to mind. If it's an airport where all domestic terminals are connected airside, no issues.

Can you share the airport and airline(s), and whether your wife's first flight is domestic or international?
+1. Not all airports connect all terminals airside (BOS, LAX, plenty of others).
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by txflyer77
+1. Not all airports connect all terminals airside (BOS, LAX, plenty of others).
Most of LAX is connected now. The few parts that aren't normally, don't have connections to the other carriers. Exceptions for 1 or 2 airlines like AC and AM with UA and DL respectively.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
People leave security to smoke.

Once I had back to back trips and left the terminal briefly to go to my car in the attached parking garage in order to remove some dirty laundry from my carry on bag. If the inbound flight had been delayed, I would have omitted this step and gone directly to the next flight.

In the OP's situation, it would be better for wife to do her own OLCI and print her own boarding passes to carry. Then if the OP is late or other unforeseen things happen, wife can still take the flight as scheduled. Similarly wife should not do OLCI for the OP and print his boarding passes in case her inbound flight is delayed even if OP has some other way to go through TSA security.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
Just give her the passes. If she's in the sterile area already and doesn't physically need to leave it, she doesn't need to go through TSA again.
So long as she doesn't get SSSSed on the second flight.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
So long as she doesn't get SSSSed on the second flight.
Even then she doesn't have to leave. Plenty of people get SSSS when irrops occur and they're get moved to different flights, especially on a different airline. GAs couldn't care less about it.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
Even then she doesn't have to leave. Plenty of people get SSSS when irrops occur and they're get moved to different flights, especially on a different airline. GAs couldn't care less about it.
I've seen them care. Admittedly, in Vancouver. My Jekyll & Hyde got SSSSed on the return flight (after being given Pre-Check on the outbound.) She was called to the podium to make sure her boarding pass was properly marked as having received the extra screening.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've seen them care. Admittedly, in Vancouver. My Jekyll & Hyde got SSSSed on the return flight (after being given Pre-Check on the outbound.) She was called to the podium to make sure her boarding pass was properly marked as having received the extra screening.
Outside the US this is an issue in some airports. However in the US all SSSS activities are at the TSA checkpoint. GAs have nothing to do with the process.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
People leave security to smoke.

Once I had back to back trips and left the terminal briefly to go to my car in the attached parking garage in order to remove some dirty laundry from my carry on bag. If the inbound flight had been delayed, I would have omitted this step and gone directly to the next flight.

In the OP's situation, it would be better for wife to do her own OLCI and print her own boarding passes to carry. Then if the OP is late or other unforeseen things happen, wife can still take the flight as scheduled. Similarly wife should not do OLCI for the OP and print his boarding passes in case her inbound flight is delayed even if OP has some other way to go through TSA security.
She can checkin and get the BP at the gate. No need to even worry about BPs if already airside.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
What if you had a reprint of the boarding pass which you got airside, or a mobile BP? That seems rather pointless.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
What if you had a reprint of the boarding pass which you got airside, or a mobile BP? That seems rather pointless.
You won't get a mobile or OLCI BP if you get SSSS.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
She can checkin and get the BP at the gate. No need to even worry about BPs if already airside.
Not if it's after the check in cutoff. This could be a problem if the inbound flight is delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.