Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing a UV light through security?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bringing a UV light through security?

I have a UV long wave LED flashlight that I use for rock hunting. This isn't one of those little lights that TSA has -- it's about 6" long, 2" wide and uses 4 special high-power lithium batteries. I keep it in a small anvil case. I don't think it looks like a "bludgeon weapon." However, when it's on, it's very, very bright AND it is UV, i.e. look into the beam for too long without safety glasses and it can cause eye damage, plus, like any UV light source it can cause skin damage (though it would require a lot of exposure).

Will this be a problem for TSA? I was thinking of removing that batteries, so the TSO doesn't inadvertently turn it on and stare into it for a while.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
That sounds too small to fit even the TSA's notion of a bludgeon. If you take the batteries out, there's a small risk that will look suspicious and attract attention.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta, United
Sounds about the same size as some adult toys. And as such, I'd just follow those rules and take the batteries out so it does get turned on accidentally.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I looked at TSA's "Can I bring?" on this.

Flash light (two words) is allowed in carry-on, subject to screener discretion.

Flashlight (one word) is apparently classed as a 'tool' and is subject to the 7-inch rule.

Flashlights (one word, plural) is allowed in carry-on, subject to screener discretion.

OP should be fine. Subject to screener discretion, of course.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. This is $450 device, so I'll get there extra early, just in case. I don't trust "screener discretion."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.