Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:54 am

Damaged non-electronic passport

So stupidly I returned from a trip completely exhausted and left my passport in my backpack. My backpack somehow picked up some oily/greasy substance on it and I decided to wash it the next morning. Half way through the rinse (soap included) I felt my passport in the pouch and my heart literally stopped.

The damage to my passport is as follows, it's now puffed up after it dried, but the visas (UK, Japan, SA, China) are all fine. The main information page is fine but a bit wrinkled, however the pages with stamps on them resemble a childs painting on some pages not all, think finger painting, or are just slightly runny stamps on some pages.

I haven't traveled since and due to a shortage of passports here in Kuwait and long wait times for a new one, I can't get a new one in time for my trips to South Korea. I don't require a visa for my Kuwaiti passport, but I am worried of being denied entry. The Korean Embassy here saw my passport and told me to get a new one if I can. I told them that the Ministry responsible for issuing passports deem my case not urgent and so don't need to issue a new one until mid-September (about a month after my return), and I tried obtaining a letter from them stating its fine for travel but to no avail. They told me they don't know if it is fine to travel and it is up to the immigration officer in Korea to see if I can be allowed or not.

Anybody have an experience of passing through immigration at ICN with a damaged passport? Did they go through any special procedures or face any problems there?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Honestly I'd be worried about denied boarding which would stop you from all other potential issues. Contact the passport agency again about an emergency replacement and tell them the South Korean embassy advised replacement.
You're in a tough stop because of the current situation that you stated, but you should definitely seek replacement. I found ICN to be very precise by Asia standards. If the passport doesn't look good handed in I would expect issues and that is if you get past check-in.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:58 am

Passport laminate coming away a tiny bit at the edges; still OK to travel?

I'm sorting all our documents out and have just noticed the laminate is coming away a tiny bit at the right bottom hand side of my passport no more than a few MM. I've weighted it under some heavy books to smooth it out, it's the most tiniest bit but I'm so worried they will deny me travel, it's a family holiday silly of me not to check beforehand I'm traveling on Thursday to Cyprus thanks for advice X the passport is biometric so surely they can easily tell it hasn't been tampered with? All details will match the chip?

Last edited by Jarap123; Aug 2, 2016 at 9:12 am
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
It probably depends on the kind of passport you have. In your case you should be fine: I haven't had any issues with the corner peeling in a similar fashion: it's a passport where the photo is printed as part of the data page AND my passport has the "biometric" chip which as you mentioned contains a digitalised copy of the data page (which is what most European border agents seem to care about, they barely look at the data page, but they do wait for the passport to scan - US border agents on the other hand look at the actual photo, I've not really paid attention in most other countries).

If you had a passport with a (separate/physical) photo glued into the laminate page and/or without a chip, you might have more issues, but this isn't something you need to worry about here.

(Note there are all kinds of watermarks and UV markings in modern passports, so either way it should be fairly obvious that it's not modified, even if there's a little edge damage.)
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Ripped passport info page - what to do?

Hi,

my wife, baby, and I are scheduled to travel on Thursday afternoon to Europe on Lufthansa. Last night my daughter got her hands on my wife's passport, and she ripped the information page at the very base. The page is still attached (barely, 4/5 of the page is ripped), and the information page is intact. I am torn on what to do, I made an appointment with the local passport agency but do you think the passport would still be valid for travel as it is?
thanks
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I definitely think that the info page barely holding on would be considered a significant tear and require replacement. I wouldn't risk it especially when flying with a child.

If your passport has been significantly damaged, especially the book cover or the page displaying your personal data and photo, you will need to apply for a new passport. Conditions that may constitute damage requiring you to replace your passport include water damage, a significant tear, unofficial markings on the data page, missing visa pages (torn out), a hole punch, or other injuries.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wrp96
I definitely think that the info page barely holding on would be considered a significant tear and require replacement. I wouldn't risk it especially when flying with a child.
Thanks, I will go to the office tomorrow am and see - hopefully they can replace it in 48 hours :-/
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Thanks, I will go to the office tomorrow am and see - hopefully they can replace it in 48 hours :-/
Your wife, not you, will have to go to apply for the replacement passport. The passport agency can have the new passport ready the same day.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just want to be certain that you mean the State Department's own agency at 1100 Commerce St. These folks can replace the passport in a few hours.

As others note, it will need to be your wife in person, not you. She will need all of the forms properly filled out (they can all be filled out online and then printed), the proper photos (don't try to save a few bucks, get them done by a passport photo place), the damaged passport, and a physical printout of the e-ticket receipt showing the impending travel.

Just isn't worth the hassle of chancing it.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Just want to be certain that you mean the State Department's own agency at 1100 Commerce St. These folks can replace the passport in a few hours.

As others note, it will need to be your wife in person, not you. She will need all of the forms properly filled out (they can all be filled out online and then printed), the proper photos (don't try to save a few bucks, get them done by a passport photo place), the damaged passport, and a physical printout of the e-ticket receipt showing the impending travel.

Just isn't worth the hassle of chancing it.
Of course, my wife will be the one going
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Do you need to file a police report on your child to document damage to your passport???

So that they cannot blame your wife for destruction of her own passport

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 30, 2016 at 12:27 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Box10
Do you need to file a police report on your child to document damage to your passport???

Who cares who damaged it. They don't care, the only time they might is if it's stolen, and even then they usually don't care. Regardless there's nothing to report the damage wasn't criminal, thus the police could charge you with wasting police resources for such nonsense.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Box10

Not required. It's not a US crime for a young child to damage a US passport; and even when done by adults, it's most frequently not a crime.

If I were in this situation, I'd prepare and go in person to a US Passport Agency office this morning and get a new passport by close of business today.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:44 pm

Exclamation Passport damage to corner - OK for US entry?

Hi guys, do you think the state of my passport will get me to my destination? As currently away from home country I cant get replacement and I am flying from Europe to USA in 7 days. My dog managed to get in hold of my passport after I left it on the sofa unattended for few minutes. The bio page with all my details is okay, no damaged to text or picture...just the plastic page at the bottom is little bit marked by my dog's teeth! and of course all the other pages are chewed at the corners but luckily all numbers, text.. everything is okay. I was also thinking of getting passport case but as I will probably have to take it out of the case it wont help me much... Tell me please I will be okay because I wont be sleeping until my departure Thanks!
Attached Images    
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Potentially there are two problems: one is the airline accepting it and letting you board, and the second is going to be US immigration. I would say that as it looks like the corner of the photo page is damaged there is a high chance they may think that this is evidence of tampering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.