Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NG NS marked on boarding pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Poster

NG NS marked on boarding pass

I'm trying to help someone with this question.

It was at Sacramento Airport and they got "NG NS" written on their boarding pass right before security. They both went through the same metal detector, neither beeped nor had random checks. Flying to Edmonton through Seattle connection.

What does NG NS mean ?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by hemorej
I'm trying to help someone with this question.

It was at Sacramento Airport and they got "NG NS" written on their boarding pass right before security. They both went through the same metal detector, neither beeped nor had random checks. Flying to Edmonton through Seattle connection.

What does NG NS mean ?
At least one set of letters is probably the TSA agent's initials. The other may indicate which security checkpoint they passed through.

Since no one in the security process typically looks at a boarding pass after the initial ID check, the fact that they went through metal detectors and didn't get beeped or randomly checked is irrelevant to the boarding pass initials. (Stated differently, if either was due for extra scrutiny, it wouldn't occur because of what the TSA agent wrote on the boarding pass unless he/she also called over another agent to indicate that additional screening was necessary.)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks ! Any reason they'd want to indicate this information ?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Not sure why they would need to record this information, but it seems to be standard practice for them to scribble on the BPs. From what I've gleaned, it is often their initials and check marks where they've validated certain information (names, dates, originating airport, etc.). That particular airport may require additional information or use their own abbreviations/codes for things.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've noticed they occasionally write 'CAN' on the boarding pass if using a Canadian Provincial drivers licence at the TSA checkpoint. Not really sure why they bother.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by reclusive46
I've noticed they occasionally write 'CAN' on the boarding pass if using a Canadian Provincial drivers licence at the TSA checkpoint. Not really sure why they bother.
The scribbling is part of the process to help ensure the TDC actually examines the document and ID (rather than just blankly scanning it as do the receipt checkers at, say, Costco). TSOs know that should a situation arise with a pax and the documents are an issue then management will check who reviewed the documents/id. Scribbling a "signature" helps remind the TDC that s/he is responsible and will be held accountable for failure to properly examine the documents/id.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It also only applies to paper BP's. Given that an ever-increasing majority of BP's are electronic with nothing, of course, written on them, the sole purpose of writing on the BP at the checkpoint is to make the Officer put his initials on the document.

Same thing when they write check marks next to your name, the date and the departure airport.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Recently at ORD, the checker didn't just scribble; he drew thin diagonal lines across almost the entire boarding pass.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta, United
When I have a paper boarding pass I like to scribble "stuff" on my BP before giving it to the TSA. That gives them something to think about.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Many TSA agents don't know that Canadian DL's are valid SOP id, and either are trying to CYA, and notating an (invalid) exception to the rules instead of passport. Seen Hawaiian and Alaskan ids refused as well and the <deleted> demanding a passport to travel.

If any problems, a three striper <deleted> can be called to check the ID binder. But Canadian DL is valid for TSA regardless of where you're traveling (works miracously for renting cars in the US too imagine that ). LAX TBIT, LGA, LAS tend to be the most geographically challenged IME.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 29, 2016 at 9:39 am Reason: Term not used in this forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.